Grandpa's Allentown Synopsis

and the Bridgemen Alumni truly appreciate the stalwarts that stuck it out in the torrential rain. We had a blast and loved having those fans cheering and clapping in the downpour.

For what it's worth, I really thought that your show, besides being a gutsy performance in the worst downpour of the night, was alumni corps "done right".

I respect the folks in alumni, but so many of the shows are too long, and too old school even for me (and I've been around this stuff since '68!) Your show was fun, the right length, had good variety and was all about the crowd. Loved it!

If I lived anywhere near NJ I'd be asking for a membership application.

EDIT - by the way - I ran into a former Bridgmen director at the Ham Fam restaurant - if I remember correctly his name was Walter. Great chat - a class-act guy!

Edited by Grandpa

Fantastic post, Grandpa! Just back in from Allentown myself, and I agree with nearly every point you make. There was hardly a show that wouldn't be better without electronics, but most of the time, they are no worse than annoying. It's now clear than every show would benefit from geese, though! (But not from the judges; I would have put Glassmen and their flock ahead of Troopers.)

Samples and voice overs - Cavaliers show was a bust for me because of the constant Nature Boy clips. After the third one I was thinking "Again? Really???" and of course, it wasn't over yet. The energy just dropped out of the show in those moments.

I couldn't agree with you more, though these samples aren't quite enough for me to call the show a "bust". These sampled moments just make me grate my teeth and cringe. They are so awful, I just can't understand why the designers (and some on this board) think they are just great/wonderful. It really boggles my mind. If they took these out of their show, this show would easily be my second-favorite show this year.

• Like 2

You know what I think really bothers me the most? It's not knowing for sure if the sound I hear is coming from the kids in the hornline, or from a pre-programmed sound file. Sometimes it's obvious, with those horrible goo notes I described above. The rest of the time, I'm not sure. What that the hornline or was that the synth? It's almost like watching the olympic athletes and wondering if that was a natural, human performance, or an artificially enhanced one.

I really don't like that ambiguity. It cheapens the whole performance, in my view....

Kind of like the feeling I had when the amps were put in the pits. Before you could tell if the level of sound was coming because of the talent of the players. Afterwards you never could tell even if you could catch the difference in tone. Just took away from showcasing the members IMO....

Great, ideal, and very timely observations, Grandpa. I too share all your enthusiasms and concerns. I had the pleasure of taking my two kids to both nights. One is 22 and the other 16...both musicians but not brass or percussion. Both have been exposed to drum corps in the past, but always looked at as 'my thing', and not theirs. They LOVED it.

After one particularly obnoxious use of low end synth doubling (Madison, I believe...a show I ADORED except for that one bad choice...), I asked them if they liked the powerful bass (I tried to be objective, and not say, 'wow, didn't you just HATE how they buried their wonderful tuba section?!'...) - they thought the 'powerful bass' added much to the show.

My point: this will continue to be an issue because the young ones have grown up on super-duper bass. However, I believe that as they learn more about corps (not just my kids, but all young fans...), they'll begin to appreciate tasteful use of this new tool (LOVE the photography analogy...it's perfect!) - and appropriately criticize the rude and classless covering of such hard working members of a corps.

And BIG hooray for the Crossmen Synth player...that folks, is CLASS!

Edited by FHdork

and the Bridgemen Alumni truly appreciate the stalwarts that stuck it out in the torrential rain. We had a blast and loved having those fans cheering and clapping in the downpour.

You guys need to stay around and play the guest spot at semis... 2012!

then I get to see you too.

• Like 1

And BIG hooray for the Crossmen Synth player...that folks, is CLASS!

Could you give details please....

Always liked West Chester... Delaware County... Newark, DE.... TX...

I spoke to a couple of Crossmen staff who came into the stands to watch their corps perform. Really great guys, and I asked them about exactly this question. They said they had greatly pared down the synth backup of the tubas, etc, and that the member playing the synth was a returning vet who said up front he didn't want to be playing sound effects or augmenting the tuba sound the whole show. It seems they worked with his suggestions. One of them said something to the effect of "with Crossmen, when you hear tuba, it's really tuba." I was glad to hear that.

It was an interesting chat. I had enjoyed Crossmen immensly, and the information these two guys shared with me after their performance gave me some insight as to why.

sounds like you might have spoken to Dr. Jones. another Bridgemen alumnus who is now tech'ing the lower brass section of Bones!! and yes, a very nice guy!!!

and as one of those Banana's from that very wet night. MAN I WISH I COULD DO IT ALL AGAIN RIGHT NOW!!!!!!

You guys need to stay around and play the guest spot at semis... 2012!

then I get to see you too.

Now worries on us not being around.. the Bridgemen are back and plan to stay...... Plus with our new feeder corps connection to Jersey Surf, it's a sure thing times 10!!

making it out to Semi's or Finals week however is another issue. I mean we only practice about 20 times a year. so trying to get everyone out to IN might be a logistical nightmare for the powers that be. < IMO >