Al Chez

I understand that Mike Boo will be doing a press release on this a little later, but I got it from a good source that the "experimental" judge in Indy will be none other than....Peyton Manning.

He's very familiar with the acoustics of LOS and has a good bit of experience with marching music ensembles, once conducting the University of Tennessee band.

My money is going on Crown.

I realize your :tongue: in this, but this can only happen at TOC shows. But to take it seriously for a moment, that's not entirely impossible. Perhaps a sports star with a music background (plays in a rock band, was in high school marching band) is a possibility. And then he or she talks to the massed corps and tells them what they thought of everyone's incredible performance and how they wish their sports team members all had the same dedication and drive for excellence. Wow; that would be inspirational for the members, even if they later felt they got hammered on the guest judge's sheet.

- BD placed 5th in GE music.

- BD beat Cadets in GE visual . First time this happened this year?

- Cadets beat BD in visual performance. Goes against conventional wisdom that BD is cleaner.

Shaping up to be a very close, exciting finish next week!

I realize your :tongue: in this, but this can only happen at TOC shows. But to take it seriously for a moment, that's not entirely impossible. Perhaps a sports star with a music background (plays in a rock band, was in high school marching band) is a possibility. And then he or she talks to the massed corps and tells them what they thought of everyone's incredible performance and how they wish their sports team members all had the same dedication and drive for excellence. Wow; that would be inspirational for the members, even if they later felt they got hammered on the guest judge's sheet.

I agree. I would like to see DCI have a surprise celebrity judge on Finals Night and be given a couple of points on the judging sheets on Finals Night. Not a lot of points, but enough to possibly make a difference in placements between Corps that are essentially neck and neck. Look, these " entertainers " are in the " entertainment " business. They live, breathe, " entertainment ". They know better than just about any high school or college band director out there if a show is connecting with an audience or not. Most are not stupid either. They know the difference between an intellectual, cerebral show and an emotional geared show. I'm not suggesting DCI select an airhead rock star here. The celebrity entertainer would naturally have to " fit " here for these Corps and with DCI. There are PLENTY of well known entertainers that would love to give back to a youth performance activity like a DCI and would not ask for an arm and a leg to do this at Finals either, imo. These entertainers sometimes are made by their agents to do all sorts of boring, but considered neccessary events for the entertainer in their career maintenance and career growth. This Finals Night gig would probably be a lot better.. and more interesting for them.. than other gigs they do. I think DCI could find an agent to get a well known entertainer that would love to do this youth gig at Finals Night, and give their encouragement and feedback to these youthful " performers ". It would be a benefit to the performers in these Corps, to the Corps , and even perhaps for the entertainer themselves to remind themselves what it was like starting out and wanting so much to please others in a performance,... and audiences benefit here as well, imo. And it would make Finals Night even more electric, and even more open to surprises. Whats so bad about that, especially if you have a show that is geared to be entertaining ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Best Brass in my opinion goes to Cadets and Crown.

I saw the BD hornline picking up sticks, moving them into different shapes, then standing in that shape playing something, then moving the sticks again into another shape, standing it that shape, and playing something again, sometimes they moved the sticks, but didn't play or stand in them. I found myself wondering what shape they were going to put the sticks in next. None of it made sense and I really don't remember any of the music they played.

Seems harsh, but it's my honest opinion.

• Like 3

Again - its not like they brought in a middle school chorus teacher to judge... It may be a 'guest judge', but when that person has 40 years of experience in drum corps, it's hardly some hokey reality tv show gimmick....

"someone who was an expert in their field but could even have no corps experience."

Doesn't sound like someone I would want judging a drum corps show.

• Like 1

"someone who was an expert in their field but could even have no corps experience."

If you're talking generally, sure...valid concern. I was obviously refering to last night specifically...

Well, not the DCI World Championships shows, but if a group of corps at a particular show all decided in advance of DCI setting up the judging schedule that they'd like to be judged by the finalists of the Wayne, Nebraska National Cluck-Off, (and yes, there is such a thing), then there would be nothing wrong with that. Now, if they wanted the finalists of the Dubin, Georgia Summer Redneck Games Redneck Horseshoes contest, which is (in reality) toilet seat tossing, then I'd have to stand up and say something. We do, after all, have our dignity.

Best Brass in my opinion goes to Cadets and Crown.

I saw the BD hornline picking up sticks, moving them into different shapes, then standing in that shape playing something, then moving the sticks again into another shape, standing it that shape, and playing something again, sometimes they moved the sticks, but didn't play or stand in them. I found myself wondering what shape they were going to put the sticks in next. None of it made sense and I really don't remember any of the music they played.

Then again, you also saw Cadets put their horns down and spin shiny poles for two minutes while "role playing", and you saw Crown stand around a lot as well, and sometimes dance around (not playing).

As for not remembering any of BD's music, that's cool. Other than the Doxology, Cadets music is really not much more than background music for the visual. utterly forgettable.

Note: I love all three shows, and all three brass lines are great. I'm simply pointing out the absurdity of your argument. You have no idea what simultaneous responsibility actually is. See the "Demand" thread for some detailed info on that topic.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 6