Finals Live Stream

The fact that they're not doing it strikes me as strange. After all, they used to broadcast finals LIVE and free on PBS back in the day. I understand that there are costs involved but there is no way they couldn't turn a profit if they charged average ticket cost.

Those who make these decisions within the halls and board rooms of DCI just aren't thinking.

I'd say a modest cost of 75-125 dollars to do an HD PPV on home TV or 50-75 for Streaming is very feasible. Although I do not have any numbers or figures to back that up. And in a TV broadcast setting you could get commentary from Rondo and/or Boo or something. That would be worth the price

This is the first year in a long time that I will not be attending championships due to my work schedule. I would easily pay $100+ to have a live stream of finals. Some excellent points given in this thread. Someone at DCI is asleep at the wheel.

Without getting into any other thoughts about why this may or may not be feasible, it really has to be broached months earlier than this.

Without getting into any other thoughts about why this may or may not be feasible, it really has to be broached months earlier than this.

I am sure the idea has been tossed around, especially with trying to get DCI finals in to the homes given the economic issues over the past few years. Is there say a licensing issue?

I do this every year, and it's about that time so...

I think it's time DCI streams Finals live via Fan Network. I'm sitting at home all week and DCI is not making a dime off of me! The simple reasons why DCI can be making more money off of Finals week by live streaming finals:

1) High cam only. This will keep the incentive to buy the DVD's/Blu-rays, as most fans will undoubtedly want better quality & multi-cam options.

or...

2) Offer the live stream option when buying DVD's. Charge the standard DVD price PLUS an extra premium to live stream Finals. That way people are already buying the DVD's. This would be like 'double dipping' in a sense, but I think a lot of fans would pay extra to watch finals live via computer. This premium can be slightly discounted than....

3) Extra Fan Network Premium for Finals. Make it so EVERYONE has to pay extra for the Finals Stream (i.e. not part of the Fan Network package). Maybe you can give FN subscribers a discount (still not as good as the DVD buyers discount), but if you charge an Pay-Per-View type fee for Finals Stream you'll increase your revenue.

The Fee structure could be something like: $60 for non-FN subscribers; $50 for FN subscribers; $45 for DVD buyers (including FN DVD options). This seems fair, and DCI could possibly charge more (I don't know what ticket prices for Finals are)

4) 'Black Out' a specific region where Finals is held. Just like the MLB package, you can see the games if your area is blacked out. If DCI does this they can ensure that they don't lose fans at Indy (or at least don't lose local fans who might be more apt to not go to finals if they can stream it). I don't know what a fair region would be, but I think DCI can figure it out: maybe based on zip code of billing address.

I'm not sure what their revenue is for Fan Network, but I'm confident that it would increase if they did the extra Finals live stream. They clearly have the means (since they essentially do it Thursday & Friday nights), and they would be able to make more revenue for Championships than they currently do.

The only downside I can think of is potentially losing revenue for the movie theater venture. You could justify this with DCI keeping more revenue from the Finals live stream since they wouldn't be 'sharing' it with theaters.

I know DCI is probably nervous about losing money on their biggest event of the season. But I don't think there are many drum corps fans who would opt to watch finals via a computer vs seeing it live, and if you keep the price at, say, the average ticket cost I think the majority of people who would go to finals would choose to see it live (if streaming cost = comparable to ticket price). While I undoubtedly have 'selfish' reasons as a drum corps fan for DCI to do this (I want to see finals live), I think that this could be a great way for DCI to make even more money than they normally would. Like I said, I'm sitting in Southern California, and DCI isn't getting a penny from me this week. If FN streamed Finals, they would DEFINITELY be making money from me, and I imagine they'd be making money from others. And who knows: with that extra bit of excitement, people might be more apt to go online at intermission or after the show and buy other souvies from corps or DCI.

What do you all think?

Dump the theatre deal, move the finals to Bloomington, or Madison and you have an idea worth exploring. Right now, LOS costs too much to lose any butts in seats. Last year they were offering specials for corps alumni...anything to get fans into LOS. Looks like things haven't changed this year.

So, if they moved to a 20K show side stadium, it would be plenty big enough and the FN income would help on the bottom line.

Right now, LOS costs too much to lose any butts in seats. Last year they were offering specials for corps alumni...anything to get fans into LOS. Looks like things haven't changed this year.

DCI said last year was the 4th most profitable Finals ever. Revenue (ticket sales) were down, but it looks like costs were down as well.

Mike

Ok,should I dare mention that Bands of America offers National Finals with their Fan Network? :lookaround:

Which I do believe their Fan Network and DCI's are one in the same ...

I know DCI wants as many fans in the Stadium as possible, but it's just not festible for me to continue to make time for Championship week ...

I'm probably taking a break after 4 years in the great state of Indiana ...

Guess it will be Quarters at Regal, Semi-Finals on the PC and Finals on DCP/Twitter next year :rolleyes:

DCI doesn't stream Finals because Finals is supposed to be a special event for those in attendance. I agreed with that a few years ago, but I lost interest in going to Finals every year when it started being in the same place every year. I didn't think that would bother me, but even just going in '09 all I was thinking was "Well, I saw this city last year. Not much to do now."

As far as streaming finals, this should be done for no other reason than me, sitting here in my office on the West Coast, I am getting screwed out of a big chunk of the Thursday show and the Friday show. I'm going to pay for a full price ticket on Thursday and I'll miss out on all but the top 6 corps. Friday I might buy the stream, but same problem, I won't be off of work until 8:30pm Indy time. For us fans who work a 9 to 5 job on the West coast, I seriously don't understand how DCI can screw us out of the one show in Finals Week that takes place on a day I don't have to work! Stream the Saturday show!

Sounds like a great idea , but I can see where Dan and the BOD might a little nervous .