The Most Influential Drum Corps Show In History

1976 Blue Devils.

This. They moved drum corps from a military type drill to one that flows. Not to mention their hornline was something to behold.

1982 was great and while it was different from what was presented before, it didnt influence anybody. Its the 1983 show that set the activity on its ear and changed the way shows were designed from 1984 on.....To see the shows from 1983, all corps were still content with their design process...1982 Garfield didnt influence anything. Ground breaking, revolutionary, etc......great, but it wasnt until that style won that the rest of the activity followed.....

Geoffrey

Your statement "1982 Garfield didn't influence anything" is of course wrong. It influenced Garfield 1983! A show does not have to win the championship to be considered a major influence on the activity.

• Like 1

Your statement "1982 Garfield didn't influence anything" is of course wrong. It influenced Garfield 1983! A show does not have to win the championship to be considered a major influence on the activity.

No it doesnt musc, nobody said anything about winning beinga criteria. You can claim 82 all you want, but it was 1983 that changed the design philosophies of 1984. 1982 didnt change any design philosophies of 1983. Therefore, it isnt the most influential show....Even if it made the list somewhere, it doesnt come close to influencing the activity the way 1983 did.

Geoffrey

• Like 1

might as well throw in Jim Jones for the sunburst! hahahaha

...he actually adapted that from a half-sunburst done by Norwood Park Imperials BITD...but Jones was a deadly drill writer, his training methods are carried forward to this day (at least by me...lol!) and Pete elevated the art by leaps and bounds for a few years. He (Emmons) definitely should be considered when mentioning those who changed the direction of drill-writing.

cg

No it doesnt musc, nobody said anything about winning beinga criteria. You can claim 82 all you want, but it was 1983 that changed the design philosophies of 1984. 1982 didnt change any design philosophies of 1983. Therefore, it isnt the most influential show....Even if it made the list somewhere, it doesnt come close to influencing the activity the way 1983 did.

Geoffrey

Do you even read your own post? Apparently no one else on this site is allowed to have an opinion but you. The question asked about an opinion and I gave mine... just to find myself once again attacked by you here. This is the last time I will respond to anything posted by you.

Have a nice day.

• Like 1

Do you even read your own post? Apparently no one else on this site is allowed to have an opinion but you. The question asked about an opinion and I gave mine... just to find myself once again attacked by you here. This is the last time I will respond to anything posted by you.

Have a nice day.

This is what you wrote:

((Your statement "1982 Garfield didn't influence anything" is of course wrong))

I didnt attack you. Point it out and I will retract it, with pleasure.

Geoffrey

• 4 weeks later...

The 1971 Garfield "No-More-War" Show was a precursor of the "total field show" concept. People in '71 did not understand it. Some VFW/American Legion folks hated it.

Carry on.

• Like 2

Sky Ryders 1985 started telling stories through Music and Color Guard with the 1st Wizard of OZ themed Show. They marched the same show in '86 and shot up from 15th in '85 to 9th in '86. They did West Side Story like no other in '87 and came in 12th. Sound of Music in '88 and took 12th again...

Just to clarify, it wasn't the SAME show from '85 to '86. I've seen the shows and heard the music. They are different in the same way that SCV '88 and '89 are different. Sky Ryders used the same source material, Wizard of Oz music....

Geoffrey

Geoff,

I remember reading something about how the goal for 1982 was to transition from old design to new design. They wanted to do Rocky Point Holiday, decided they had to play Cuban Overture and Piano Concert in F because they were popular pieces. The next year, they went with Rocky Point Holiday and Bernstein's Mass... So, I can see how the '82 show influenced the '83 show, which in turn changed the game. '82 was part of the building plan that happened to work for The Cadets and influenced the rest of the field for our benefit. thumbup.gif

The 1971 Garfield "No-More-War" Show was a precursor of the "total field show" concept. People in '71 did not understand it. Some VFW/American Legion folks hated it.

Carry on.

Imagine that....Cadets going against the grain or the norm,,,,,,,lmao......maybe its not hop but a great tradition...............Yeah CAdets( AND OTHERS) for going against the grain no matter what and in the process showing others YOU CAN !!!!!!! :thumbup:

• Like 1