The Most Influential Drum Corps Show In History

1966 "Drum Corps News" (a Moe Knox photo)

150876_1721311195555_1321568427_1885233_2145824_n.jpg

There are moments that have changed the Drum Corps movement forever. This was one of those " show performance" moments that influenced the activity greatly, imo. Thanks for the pic.

There are moments that have changed the Drum Corps movement forever. This was one of those " show performance" moments that influenced the activity greatly, imo. Thanks for the pic.

Sister had a college prof who marched IC Reveries. She had a corps shirt on and that's how she found out. I asked her if he was part of the sit in and she said she'd ask.

.... two days later I get a phone call..... "What the Hell was the Sit In. His jaw just hit the floor.." :blink:

I explained and the answer was no, he aged out a year or so before. He was jsut shocked someone knew. Irony is my sis was born Sept 1966.

Well....in my opinion, I believe the most influential drum corps show in RECENT history would have to go to Blue Devils 2010.

They, like Star 93, took the rule book and tore it up. Listening to the show is very hard on the melodic ear and you even have to listen to the source material. Plus the mirror work is just pure genius. The design was unlike anything we were expecting and nobody was ready for it.

Like Cesario once said, the Blue Devils have been changing the game. 2010 was no exception. I would love to see another show go that far in innovation. It was either nail it completely and be remembered forever, or miss an inch and it falls completely.

I believe this show is also responsible for the adjudication sheets to be changed too. But that's my opinion.

• Like 1

Well....in my opinion, I believe the most influential drum corps show in RECENT history would have to go to Blue Devils 2010.

They, like Star 93, took the rule book and tore it up. Listening to the show is very hard on the melodic ear and you even have to listen to the source material. Plus the mirror work is just pure genius. The design was unlike anything we were expecting and nobody was ready for it.

Like Cesario once said, the Blue Devils have been changing the game. 2010 was no exception. I would love to see another show go that far in innovation. It was either nail it completely and be remembered forever, or miss an inch and it falls completely.

I believe this show is also responsible for the adjudication sheets to be changed too. But that's my opinion.

But, who have they influenced ?? Where can you find elements of their design in the shows that followed ?? Its not even a year old.....

Geoffrey

• Like 2

Edit: The key term here is "influential," that is, was what the group did not only something new (or a refinement of something new that someone else did), but did it influence others to follow suit. I picked three shows that measurably influenced how other corps (and bands) have approached marching/design ever since.

Santa Clara Vanguard - 1980 - As the hold of the old VFW rules slowly loosened, SCV performed the first true asymmetrical drill for much of their show. It may not have been as technically difficult as the symetrical drill of their contemporaries, but I'd say it caught on. (Incidently, that must have been an amazing year to have been at finals)

Phantom Regiment - 1981 - Spartacus (I) - Though sometimes debated, this is largely credited as being the first 'themed' show in which the music was all related to a central story and the visual was aimed at conveying that story to the crowd. Sure, you needed a libretto to understand what they were trying to do, but you can only ask so much from the guys who tried it first.

Cadets of Bergen County - 1983 - They took the asymmetrical drill that SCV pioneered, and took it to a whole new level. This show was iconic on a lot of levels, and set the tone for much of the high velocity drill that we see today.

Short of those three shows, I really feel like everything else is refinement and nuance added on top of the breakthroughs which these groups undertook. Sure, you have your first all Original Show, your first Political show, etc. However, as great as those things were, I'm not sure that they really rise to the level of these four shows, and what they did for the marching activity as a whole.

The only recent show I would be ready to consider might have started something new are the Cavaliers 2001. THat show did something markedly different than even the 2000 offering in the way it fully integrated all aspects of the corps in order to portray the show theme throughout the show. If anything, it was an evolution of the concept of 'theme' that propelled it much further from a design perspective. I am not sure whether this has really had wide-spread effect on the activity as a whole, but it certainly put the Cavaliers on a different level for much of the 2000s.

Edited by raphael18
  • Like 1

I was just watching this show ... yes, it was pretty out there, but would you mind expanding on how it's so game-changing? Why would BD's show require new judging sheets? How did they "tear up the rule book", exactly? I'm surprised it got a 98.9 since there's so little playing and everything is so disjointed, admittedly.

• Like 1

They, like Star 93, took the rule book and tore it up. Listening to the show is very hard on the melodic ear and you even have to listen to the source material. Plus the mirror work is just pure genius. The design was unlike anything we were expecting and nobody was ready for it......

As a loyal BD Fan - it's quite an honor to read the respect given by a competitor. The mirror thing for me was certainly different if you sat low to the field, or sat high in the stands. Down low - it was wild seeing drummers emerge (darn near perfect) while side stepping away from the mirror. I agree also - musically - the last few minutes of the show (pure chaos) was tough to follow - but fit with the theme.

In my opinion, the most influential Drum Corps " show " in the history of Junior Drum Corps was the show of the Immaculate Conception Reveries, of Revere, Mass.

Question:

While I know the story well, it was rumored that the actual death blow had something to do with the mishandeling of the American Flag during the sit down. Did you ever hear anything regarding that detail ?

I think that you're onto something BRASSO. We all hear rumors, and of course I wasn't there at the time, but legend has it that after I.C. staged their little "sit in" the priest threatened not to sponsor the corps anymore, so they had a "sit down" and formed the 27th Lancers.

It was more complex than that, and was boiling under the surface before the VFW Nationals sit-in.

In 1966 several influential members of the I.C. parish council were less-than-enthusiastic about conducing fundraising to support the corps that increased its membership outside the parish: Everett, several Boston neighborhoods, Cambridge, Malden, Somerville... More ominously to many, some of the non-parish members were black, most prominently in 1967 3 of 4 snares, 2 of 4 tenor drummers. They were all very talented percussionists who marched with other corps (Cambridge Caballeros, Lt Norman Prince Princemen, Holy Trinity Cadets) who could not get a spot in the high-profile all-white corps elsewhere in Greater Boston, not because they were not talented.... One of them had been the first black finalist in the VFW individual snare national championship, the other finished second two years later. The Reveries (and later 27th) had welcomed them. By 1967, Father Gallagher, pastor of I.C. parish, was caught between the corps and the parish membership who (a.) wished the Reveries was limited to local kids, and (b.) wished that the first line of Reveries they saw in the Columbus day parade was not so black-skinned. Father Gallagher told George B that he'd pulled the parish support for the Reveries.

The sit-in episode was allegedly the convenient straw that broke the camel's back for the pastor of the church.

(BTW, at the 1967 VFW's, the PA announcer said: "On the starting line... from REVERIE, Massachusetts..... the 27th Lancers!" People recall the spectators asking: "the WHO???")

In ref: mishandling the National Colors - we only heard some statements/rumors years later by people with ties to the VFW Nationals leadership something about abandoning the Colors.

Some of you may recall that VFW Nationals were severely damaged in '72 and '73 by DCI Finals tour being held almost concurrently with VFW Nationals. Most corps had to make a decision: VFW Nationals or DCI. (Accordingly, VFW leadership held a grudge against the DCI charter member corps, esp. George Bonfiglio.)

Even years later, the National Colors complaints about the sit-down were largely dismissed - the starting gun had not been fired before the sit-in, so "guarding the colors" was not an issue. I recall no such mention of any concern at the time.

Another discontent was based upon the integrity of the Drum Major: when the VFW Nationals gatekeeper asked the Reveries DM to advance to the gate and identify his corps, he replied "Saint Kevin's" (who had a similar uniform esp. in the twighlight.) BTW the Beachmont VFW Post remained loyal to (and supportive of) Two-Seven for years after the sit-down incident.

Edited by Navillus WP
  • Like 1