How many think Cadets 2 will be the death of other corps

well TOB and Cavalcade do not charge fees to attend any championships. USSBA last I knew fees ranged from $750 on up depending on band size. I had heard he eliminated the ticket requirements.

Well, looking at the 2009 Annual report, 725 bands participated in 132 events in 15 states, so they are doing something right.

The band I work with has been there since CMBC days, and despite blips here and there have always felt that we receive a great experience for the cost. EVERY circuit has its good and bad moments and inner issues.

BTW, we have not ever had a cost problem...the sale of tickets has not been an onerous task to cover the bulk of charges for NJ State and Northern State (formerly all-state) champs.

We choose to pay to attend Nats for the experience it provides for our kids, and the parents who go love it as well.

I think for disclosure purposes it should be noted that you are an active TOB judge. I have, since 2001, judged two USSBA shows as a fill-in music judge.

I am an NJA judge. Yea we judge TOB events. We also judge other events as well.

All I'm trying to say is the YEA name comes with good and bad. Don't assume people will flock just because. If name recognition and past glory was all it took, Sky would still be around. Same with Westshore and many other corps

I don't think it will be the death of other corps, but I do think it is just plain wrong to allow Cadets 2 to compete in DCA. The key to DCA is NO age restrictions. Cadets 2 is intended to be an age-restricted junior corps competing in DCA because of their "no tour" philosophy. This would have never been allowed back in the day when junior corps did not tour extensively - why should it be allowed now? The easy fix is for DCA to implement a rule regarding age restrictions, perhaps with a minimum age to be selected by each corps but no maximum age.

There are several DCI Open class corps that compete in DCA... Jersey Surf and Raiders.. just to name two.... It's nothing new to have them at shows. They've been doing it for years... so.. i don't see this as a valid arguement....

• Like 1

There are several DCI Open class corps that compete in DCA... Jersey Surf and Raiders.. just to name two.... It's nothing new to have them at shows. They've been doing it for years... so.. i don't see this as a valid arguement....

No DCI corps compete in DCA. Jersey Surf and Raiders only perform exhibitions. They do not receive an evaluation from the judging panel at that show and they do not receive a score. Those two corps often perform exhibitions at DCA shows just before or just after they move into camp so their members can gain experience performing for a live crowd and have another run of their show under their belt.

Thats as far as their participation currently goes in DCA.

No DCI corps compete in DCA. Jersey Surf and Raiders only perform exhibitions. They do not receive an evaluation from the judging panel at that show and they do not receive a score. Those two corps often perform exhibitions at DCA shows just before or just after they move into camp so their members can gain experience performing for a live crowd and have another run of their show under their belt.

You are correct... sort of. Groups have participated in DCA shows and received scores, but it is no different than a DCA corps competing in a DCI show and receiving a score. The two circuits do not get scored head to head, but they do get scored at each others shows. With that being said, it is up to the individual corps to decide whether or not they want to be scored.

actually,.............I think DCA would be a good home for one or both of these corps,..............Raiders got 5 scores prior to prelims,.........Surf got a bunch more, but did not do a full WC tour,...............again, I think corps like these need to really evaluate where they want to be,...........does it make more sense for them to aspire to someday being a WC DCI corps administering a 2 million dollar budget,..........or could they fare just as well organizationally doing a weekend only type of format that DCA offers allowing for smmer jobs, family summer classes etc. for their students,............at about 200K,........(which is a lot for DCA)

• Like 1

actually,.............I think DCA would be a good home for one or both of these corps,..............Raiders got 5 scores prior to prelims,.........Surf got a bunch more, but did not do a full WC tour,...............again, I think corps like these need to really evaluate where they want to be,...........does it make more sense for them to aspire to someday being a WC DCI corps administering a 2 million dollar budget,..........or could they fare just as well organizationally doing a weekend only type of format that DCA offers allowing for smmer jobs, family summer classes etc. for their students,............at about 200K,........(which is a lot for DCA)

I know it has been said on here before but I think it would be great for both circuits if these corps could be scored on DCI sheets at these DCA shows. I know that the appearances Surf and Raiders have made in Wildwood and at the Grand Prix have been exhibitions.

As far as Surf and Raiders moving to DCA, I'm not sure how they would perceive a potential move to this circuit. Both corps pride themselves on being able to offer the junior corps experience of going on tour at a fraction of the cost of the top World Class corps. Remove the tour from the equation and you remove the majority of the experience they are looking to offer.

With this G8 thing under consideration- I'm wondering if DCA would ever consider starting a junior class division (Ages 16-21) that would absorb most of the open class corps in DCI right now. They could offer a tour experience similar to what Raiders and Surf experience now (1 week camp, 2 week tour across the country) with shows in all the DCA regions. That's a huge investment for DCA though.

On a side note- If that were to happen in the next two decades, I am all in favor of Hawthorne restarting the Muchachos in the new DCA Junior Class!!! :thumbup: Just imagine a DCA show with the Muchachos, Cadets 2, and Surf.

I think with the agreement with DCI,you may see the opportunity for DCI units to be judged at DCA shows. Only problem is it would have to be the DCI 5 panel system at any show all season, long after DCI goes to the full 10 man panel as DCA at most uses 7 judges now.

Then it would just require some training on the DCI sheets, which isn't hard as several DCA judges judge in DCI as well

I know it has been said on here before but I think it would be great for both circuits if these corps could be scored on DCI sheets at these DCA shows. I know that the appearances Surf and Raiders have made in Wildwood and at the Grand Prix have been exhibitions.

As far as Surf and Raiders moving to DCA, I'm not sure how they would perceive a potential move to this circuit. Both corps pride themselves on being able to offer the junior corps experience of going on tour at a fraction of the cost of the top World Class corps. Remove the tour from the equation and you remove the majority of the experience they are looking to offer.

With this G8 thing under consideration- I'm wondering if DCA would ever consider starting a junior class division (Ages 16-21) that would absorb most of the open class corps in DCI right now. They could offer a tour experience similar to what Raiders and Surf experience now (1 week camp, 2 week tour across the country) with shows in all the DCA regions. That's a huge investment for DCA though.

On a side note- If that were to happen in the next two decades, I am all in favor of Hawthorne restarting the Muchachos in the new DCA Junior Class!!! :thumbup: Just imagine a DCA show with the Muchachos, Cadets 2, and Surf.

I guess my point is, and please understand I am just using Raiders as an example,...........but their entire schedule for this summer's contests included:

June 26 - Old Bridge, NJ

July 6 - Jackson, NJ

August 3 - West Chester, PA

August 4 - Rome, NY

August 6 - Erie, PA

August 8 - Michigan City, IN

Open Class Championship Prelims August 9 - Michigan City, IN

Open Class Championship Finals August 11 - Indianapolis, IN

Add in a couple of exhibitions and this schedule aside from finals week IS weekend only,..........there are many other open class junior corps that fit this mold,........

I don't think it will be the death of other corps, but I do think it is just plain wrong to allow Cadets 2 to compete in DCA. The key to DCA is NO age restrictions. Cadets 2 is intended to be an age-restricted junior corps competing in DCA because of their "no tour" philosophy. This would have never been allowed back in the day when junior corps did not tour extensively - why should it be allowed now? The easy fix is for DCA to implement a rule regarding age restrictions, perhaps with a minimum age to be selected by each corps but no maximum age.

I agree.... The C2 proposal does not seem to be in the spirit of DCA.