How many think Cadets 2 will be the death of other corps

Last big problems I heard were cost and no real experience in dealing with a large quantity of moving instruments.

..man did I just leave an opening for smart alecky responses from folks

Agreed. I see a lot of equipment trucks today already packed to the max. This kind of equipment could be the breaking point.

I really don't have an issue with front ensemble amplification as it will help bring out their sound and really doesn't require someone working a soundboard. The SECOND a SINGLE sound effect is pumped in, this activity is destroyed. Yep- I said it! Destroyed. IMO. You can red flag, dislike, PM all you want but thats how I feel. This activity is all about 120 performers on a field performing a story using instrumentation and methods not heard in main stream media, all while doing it on the move. I am not paying to hear a corps playing a phrase with an electronic back beat in the back round (similar to what I hear on pop radio stations.) I am all for the progression of the activity, but only as long as the essentials of the activity are preserved.

And as far as the natural progression of performers using electronics coming out of DCI into DCA... Why should we even debate changing the rules in the circuit so we can accommodate what they are used to!!! Its OK to do things differently, and ask them to experience drum corps differently than what they are used to. Guess what- I am one of those performers who came out of DCI with amplification and even I don't want DCA to change that significantly. Amplification in the pit, sure.. Sound effects.. NO.

Edited by irishbugle
  • Like 2

I've seen that quite a bit more this season. Seems to be a trend starting.

I saw it last year to a small degree at thetop.

the thing i really wonder is if this is hurt with the elimination of the field visual judge or not. ifanything, I'd think that would help corps,not hurt

Agreed. I see a lot of equipment trucks today already packed to the max. This kind of equipment could be the breaking point.

I really don't have an issue with front ensemble amplification as it will help bring out their sound and really doesn't require someone working a soundboard. The SECOND a SINGLE sound effect is pumped in, this activity is destroyed. Yep- I said it! Destroyed. IMO. You can red flag, dislike, PM all you want but thats how I feel. This activity is all about 120 performers on a field performing a story using instrumentation and methods not heard in main stream media, all while doing it on the move. I am not paying to hear a corps playing a phrase with an electronic back beat in the back round (similar to what I hear on pop radio stations.) I am all for the progression of the activity, but only as long as the essentials of the activity are preserved.

And as far as the natural progression of performers using electronics coming out of DCI into DCA... Why should we even debate changing the rules in the circuit so we can accommodate what they are used to!!! Its OK to do things differently, and ask them to experience drum corps differently than what they are used to. Guess what- I am one of those performers who came out of DCI with amplification and even I don't want DCA to change that significantly. Amplification in the pit, sure.. Sound effects.. NO.

it's ok to ask them to adapt, but if they say no, then what?

Would you ask a kid like me who started in the late 80's and used to what drum corps was at that time togo do a 60's style show?

And if you would, you'd realize the odds are highly likely he'd tell you to go #### yourself and walk away.

drumcorps isn't what it was 10, 20, 40 years ago. it continuously changes. I dont necessarily like all of the changes, just because I have seen stupid usage of technology get rewarded for a) lack of knowledge and b) fear to have the balls to make a call, but the bottom line is the changes will at some point happen.

if we keep trudging on along as if time doesn't change ( which, drum corps never has),it'lllose participation.

Yes, not all changeis good. Despite the PR, DCI is finallyfiguring out some of what they rushed to the field has worked poorly, but it is getting better over there. shows were more friendly, and electronics usage on whole was less offensive this year.

But to tell a 23 year old kid, fresh off of a few years of DCI that "hey, sorry, we dont want that crap because it's not old school" is guaranteeing people will not want to participate.

it's ok to ask them to adapt, but if they say no, then what?

Would you ask a kid like me who started in the late 80's and used to what drum corps was at that time togo do a 60's style show?

And if you would, you'd realize the odds are highly likely he'd tell you to go #### yourself and walk away.

drumcorps isn't what it was 10, 20, 40 years ago. it continuously changes. I dont necessarily like all of the changes, just because I have seen stupid usage of technology get rewarded for a) lack of knowledge and b) fear to have the balls to make a call, but the bottom line is the changes will at some point happen.

if we keep trudging on along as if time doesn't change ( which, drum corps never has),it'lllose participation.

Yes, not all changeis good. Despite the PR, DCI is finallyfiguring out some of what they rushed to the field has worked poorly, but it is getting better over there. shows were more friendly, and electronics usage on whole was less offensive this year.

But to tell a 23 year old kid, fresh off of a few years of DCI that "hey, sorry, we dont want that crap because it's not old school" is guaranteeing people will not want to participate.

yep...yep.....and yep

Agreed. If someone said that to me like that, I would walk away too. And again, I'm not saying amplification is bad. I'm saying adding sound effects and unnecessary layers of noise electronically is bad.

I don't subscribe to the method of recruiting by changing rules here, so the activity is easy for the influx of DCI age-outs. A little adaptability is good on all sides I'd say. And quite honestly, I can't image a recently aged-out trumpet player (as an example) would walk away from marching in a DCA corps because the show wont have sound effects. I think that's a bit of a stretch.

Edited by irishbugle
  • Like 1

And quite honestly, I can't image a recently aged-out trumpet player (as an example) would walk away from marching in a DCA corps because the show wont have sound effects. I think that's a bit of a stretch.

Haven't noticed anything this season about it but in past members have posted that they march DCI and existance of amps/whatever didn't affect their decision either way. Or to make it more clear, it was a choice of march or not march and that was more important than any contriversial items being there/not there.

• Like 1

Agreed. If someone said that to me like that, I would walk away too. And again, I'm not saying amplification is bad. I'm saying adding sound effects and unnecessary layers of noise electronically is bad.

I don't subscribe to the method of recruiting by changing rules here, so the activity is easy for the influx of DCI age-outs. A little adaptability is good on all sides I'd say. And quite honestly, I can't image a recently aged-out trumpet player (as an example) would walk away from marching in a DCA corps because the show wont have sound effects. I think that's a bit of a stretch.

actually they could walk away. The kids are used to it being a staple of show design. it starts at the HS band level.

and if you never change the rule on this, DCA will die. It may lose some older fans. It's losing them anyways, it's called death. For DCA to grow, it needs to embracewhats coming down the pike and add it in.

Again, I'm not saying all use of sound effects, voiceovers etc are good. Plenty of bad examples abound. But when it's done right, like Cavies last year, Cadets and Crown this year among a few others, it's great.

The problem isn't that it's there...it's how it's usedand still too often rewarded.

Trust me, I know how kids will react. I see it not when I suggest DCA to kids I teach. "Well they don't do the cool electronics stuff DCI does."

actually they could walk away. The kids are used to it being a staple of show design. it starts at the HS band level.

I don't know about that... How many people have joined drum corps because it represented an alternative marching experience from band including using different instrumentation, talent levels, touring (in the DCI case), and so on? I don't know that the future for drum corps is necessarily becoming a mirror image of HS band. Considering the considerable cost and investment in time that drum corps requires, I think it may prove more successful to market it as a different and superior experience to band rather than the same old thing.

I'd love to see what a good DCA corps could do with guitars and synths. The access to talent alone would open way more possibilities than DCI can ever imagine. I know there are several top DCA corps that will adopt A&E immediately the second it becomes legal, and man will that be fun to watch.

I'd love to see what a good DCA corps could do with guitars and synths.

God I hope not.... :huh2::thumbdown::thumbup: