Prelims!

HEY! That's our line!

Pretty sure everybody uses it :tongue:

SOME THOUGHTS

6) Just about everyone in my theater hated Blue Devils with a passion. Their ending is so flat anyway, but went it was over it was like "oh, the end? *golf clap*". Their biggest reception was when the broadcast showed them losing to the Cadets, lol.

Did you take a poll or did people get up and yell " I hate Blue Devils with a passion"

Why would people hate kids that bust their buts to do a show ?

Edited by pbeau
  • Like 1

Did you take a poll or did people get up and yell " I hate Blue Devils with a passion"

Why would people hate kids that bust their buts to do a show ?

It doesn't take a PhD in group psycology to gauge the mood of a crowd...in fact it is much easier in a theater than it is in a stadium.

Is it right? Is it fair? Is it disrespectful? All good questions, but it is in fact pretty easy to gauge the reactions of a crowd in a movie theater. I do it after regular movies all the time....

• Like 1

We are so tired after a long long long day. But a great day. I'll post more tomorrow, but thoughts from the stands around us were.

Attendance seeemed lower than last year, especially since we had 18 more corps performing.

Most people thought Madison was going to be much higher than Blue Knights in score. I thought they were close, but probably would have had Madison up by about 4 tenths of a point. Madison really connected with the crowd tonight.

Carolina Crown should be much closer to Cavaliers and the top, and should be about 3 points at least ahead of Phantom. Most people around us kind of mocked the new Phantom ending. I would say they got the crowd lame award for their new ending. Everyone was joking they were trying to take a 5th-7th place show, and turn in top 3 with a killing of the drum major, ala 2008. But this honestly should not even be within 3 points of Crown, who should have beaten them in every caption solidly, except drums. Phantom does have a beautiful show, but the difficulty and performance edge would definitely go to Crown, who also may have had the best crowd response of the evening.

Most people around us thought Cavies and Cadets should be neck and neck. I would definitely have given the edge to Cadets, but I still would not count Cavies out this week. I do not see BD beating Cadets the rest of the week, I think Cavies are the corps that Cadets should beware of personally.

2 shows the crowd didn't seem to react to that I find very nice, are Teal Sound(I am so surprised to be saying that after I didn't care for them much early season), and Blue Stars. This show has definitely grown on me. And while I think they are locked in 11th place, I totally enjoy this show, while people around us didn't seem to enjoy it at all(actually my wife doesn't care for this show either)

Quick predictions for the rest of the weekend, from what the judging looks like

Crossmen beat Colts tomorrow.

Academy beats Troopers

Madison overtakes Blue Knights

Phantom may beat Crown(I definitely would not agree with this at all-and I never thought I would say this, but Crown---YOU RACH)

Cavies beat Blue Devils

Heading off to bed after a hot shower. I hope everyone else enjoyed this day as much as we did. Some amazing performances, although a little quiet from a crowd standpoint.

• Like 3

BD 5th in Vis. Perf...must be one of those "celebrity judges". :ph34r:

Fifth in Visual Performance Vocab. I can see that. They didn't attempt nearly as many visual touches as Cadets, Crown, Cavies, and Vanguard (the four corps that topped them). Obviously, what all they ought to be attempting is a subjective thing, so I fully expect other judges would rank them differently.

Somewhere in the low 100's were in the theatre. At intermission saw a late 60's BAC member and wife getting their snacks to watch a movie no less. They added to the DCI crowd count within five minutes! Not bad, they unintentionally bought regular movies tickets and saw the second half of tonights broadcast. Hmmm! Sound was great, but the synch between audio/video was a split second off. Just enough to be noticeable when the guys were talking or a closeup of the drum line/pit was shown. Spoke to manager before the start and during the break. No luck. Great performances which might force me to get this years DVD.

Quick recap, more to come tomorrow:

1. Madison was the first to put goosebumps on myself and others.

2. BACs baritone solo might be the best of the night

3. SCV is way overrated and Bloo is noticeably better (feel free to argue)

4. PR has theatrics and musicality out the bung-hole it amazed me.

5. Crown had the most energy and best brass by far (regardless of the brass score)r. Surprised me a great deal.

6. BD got 2nd. That is all :tongue:

7. Cadets visual concept ranks among the best EVER. The last 2 minutes my eyes were glued to the candy on the field. First Cadets show im in love with.

• Like 2

Re Blue Devils: people clapped in my theatre for Cavies and Cadets, but not BD. A couple of folks next to us got up and left when Blue Devils came on and then came back after they finished up. The crowd seemed very excited that Cadets won.

Lots of the people around us seemed to be high school band kids who weren't familiar with the shows. They really got into Crown, Cavies, and Cadets, and I heard lots of comments about "look at that" and "whoa" etc. None such for BD.

Not trying to hate on BD, I'm just reporting what was going on. I'm in Illinois, so it was a major Cavies/Phantom crowd, for sure.

• Like 3