Prelims!

Pioneer gets great volume out of the horns they have. The percussion sounds good to me (a brass player). I like the off center and on-field pit and the props framing the field. Perfect choice for this size of corps.

Some intonation problems in the brass. I assume they are having everyone just play out, which means they're loud, but not always 100% in tune.

Nice visual design. The marching looks good. The uniforms look sharp (on the low-res stream anyway :tongue:).

The crowd gave Pioneer a great ovation! I assume there's a lot more people in the stadium now that the WC corps have started.

Edited by skywhopper

I would be surprised if Spartans would get in since their score is lower than all the WC corps last scores except Pioneer, and Pioneer scored in the 70's their next to last show. So I would expect 3 open class corps would be the max to make it into Semis if Pioneer doesn't beat SCVC. I don't see 2 corps losing to the Spartans with their 69.35.

I think you're dead on.

"thirdcoast" you really should stop being a jerk...your only making yourself look bad...very classless to say the least and that's nicest way I can say it...

• Like 5

I would be surprised if Spartans would get in since their score is lower than all the WC corps last scores except Pioneer, and Pioneer scored in the 70's their next to last show. So I would expect 3 open class corps would be the max to make it into Semis if Pioneer doesn't beat SCVC. I don't see 2 corps losing to the Spartans with their 69.35.

THIS I BELIEVE!!! :tongue:

I hear someone messing with their food.. coughing and everything else on this broadcast....not the greatest quality I guess...I'm still glad though DCI is providing this...

There was some semi-explaining of this on the DCI announcement basically that they were doing a parallel setup to the cinecast, so in other words, they aren't hooked into the on-field mikes and they are doing what they can. I think it sounds pretty great considering. Except for the talking, I think it captures the sound way better than the close-up mikes do. Much better mix between the pit and the corps, etc.

Looking at captions there are some very noticeable differences between these scores and OC Finals. Some observations:

Spartans colorguard 3rd (14.4) behind BDB (14.7) SCVC (14.8). I think they won top guard in every show this year.

Visual Ensemble scores 8/9

SCVC 19.00

Oregon 18.7

Spartans 18.6

BDB 18.5

Visual Ensemble scores 8/11

BDB 14.6

Spartans 13.7

SCVC 13.3

Oregon 13.1

Does anyone have an idea of how those placements and spacing became so hugely different on the WC sheets? Oregon beats BDB in both halves on OC sheets but gets crushed by 1.5 in the single subcaption on WC sheets? BDB jumped from 4th to 1st in Visual overall.

Genesis 7th overall but 3rd in brass!

GE and Percussion placements did not change much.

Edited by PurpleKnights
  • Like 1

Agreed. It's Pioneer vs. SCVC for 25th with Pioneer having an outside shot at 24th. BDB, Cascades, and Surf battling for 21-23.

Looking at captions there are some very noticeable differences between these scores and OC Finals. Some observations:

Spartans colorguard 3rd (14.4) behind BDB (14.7) SCVC (14.8). I think they won top guard in every show this year.

Visual Ensemble scores 8/9

SCVC 19.00

Oregon 18.7

Spartans 18.6

BDB 18.5

Visual Ensemble scores 8/11

BDB 14.6

Spartans 13.7

SCVC 13.3

Oregon 13.1

Does anyone have an idea of how those placements and spacing became so hugely different on the WC sheets? Oregon beats BDB in both halves on OC sheets but gets crushed by 1.5 in the single subcaption on WC sheets? BDB jumped from 4th to 1st in Visual overall.

Genesis 7th overall but 3rd in brass!

GE and Percussion placements did not change much.

It all has to do with the sheets... design, demand, and execution become so much more important on WC sheets

There was some semi-explaining of this on the DCI announcement basically that they were doing a parallel setup to the cinecast, so in other words, they aren't hooked into the on-field mikes and they are doing what they can. I think it sounds pretty great considering. Except for the talking, I think it captures the sound way better than the close-up mikes do. Much better mix between the pit and the corps, etc.

Thanks for explaining that...it's no biggie was just making an observation is all...I'll be heading out shortly for the cine-cast in a bit...I can always listen to these shows later...