Prelims!

I'm not that surprised that most corps are encountering a 20+ point differential, based on the scores from OC finals.

I think I posted an analysis almost a year ago when someone asked about it. Everybody seemed to have randomly come up with 15-17 points as an agreed upon difference. It appeared that it was USUALLY only the top 3 or so corps that would have anything less than a 20 point differential, and that was more likely in the years when those OC scores scored in the higher 90s. When I saw the scores on Tuesday my immediate thought was that they hadn't quite pushed the upper boundaries of the box scores on open sheets, so they probably would be looking at a 20+ point difference. I'll try to dig up that post from last year.

With all the OC scores in the average drop was 21.11 points. The difference was pretty uniform throughout other than Spirit of NJ (15pts). There was not a big difference in the drop for lower scoring corps versus higher scoring. I looked at the last 4 years OC corps were allowed to compete (1999-2002) and found that the average drop to be right around 19 pts. Magic of Orlando was an outlier. The were a top 12 corps that max'ed out the OC sheets with a 99.05 and only dropped 11.9 pts. When you exlude them the range was 17.0-22.1 points with an average of 19.4 points. This year the range 15.25 to 24.85 with an average of 21.1 pts.

Looks like Pioneer doesn't have much of a shot at making semis with that 72.6 for SCVC.

Keep in mind that Pioneer scored a 70.200 in Charleston, WV over a week ago. The Allentown score was a bit lower, but I don't see a two or three point jump in a week to be that unreasonable. Keep in mind that while other corps were out in Erie and at the Open Class Championships, Pioneer has been hard at work on the practice field. It's going be exciting! I'm kind of annoyed that I'm stuck here at work!

However things fall, I'm extremely proud of this year's corps and have to say that in the face of adversity, the corps has performed extremely well.

So, just to be clear, do these scores mean that BDB and Oregon Crusaders are IN for another performance at Semi-Finals tomorrow night?

Also, it's really funny sitting here and listening to these conversations happening in the box while the telecast is still going....

Yes. BDB and OC are in. If SCVC beat Pioneer they are in. Spartans are the next OC corps that could make it. It's too early to tell.

It may not show in the recap but there were MANY individual errors in BDB show today. And the brass was nowhere near the volume of OC. I am puzzled.

But it just my opinion.....

What the hell thirdcoast.

• Like 4

Keep in mind that Pioneer scored a 70.200 in Charleston, WV over a week ago. The Allentown score was a bit lower, but I don't see a two or three point jump in a week to be that unreasonable. Keep in mind that while other corps were out in Erie and at the Open Class Championships, Pioneer has been hard at work on the practice field. It's going be exciting! I'm kind of annoyed that I'm stuck here at work!

However things fall, I'm extremely proud of this year's corps and have to say that in the face of adversity, the corps has performed extremely well.

We'll see what happens in about 45 mins. Hope the crew from Milwaukee has a good show.

And some people need to stop talking to themselves on this thread.

• Like 1

Yes. BDB and OC are in. If SCVC beat Pioneer they are in. Spartans are the next OC corps that could make it. It's too early to tell.

I would be surprised if Spartans would get in since their score is lower than all the WC corps last scores except Pioneer, and Pioneer scored in the 70's their next to last show. So I would expect 3 open class corps would be the max to make it into Semis if Pioneer doesn't beat SCVC. I don't see 2 corps losing to the Spartans with their 69.35.

I hear someone messing with their food.. coughing and everything else on this broadcast....not the greatest quality I guess...I'm still glad though DCI is providing this...

There's a live Blog on DCIs web page