Santa Clara Vanguard - GE Music and Brass Scores

Honestly, I thought the only night that was even remotely close was prelims. Paul Mcgarr was the only judge that had enough guts to put them were they belonged. Make no mistake about it, that horn line was awful. IMO they were lucky to finish in the top 12, and that is not based solely on volume. There were numerous groups that played more together and with better sounds than SCV did.

Personal opinion, I guess. I thought they did pretty well, and showed massive improvement from the start of the season to the end. When I listen to them on the APDs through the season, it's a whole different horn line. And I thought 8th was a better place for them than 11th, but again, just me.

• Like 2

Honestly, I thought the only night that was even remotely close was prelims. Paul Mcgarr was the only judge that had enough guts to put them were they belonged. Make no mistake about it, that horn line was awful. IMO they were lucky to finish in the top 12, and that is not based solely on volume. There were numerous groups that played more together and with better sounds than SCV did.

AMEN!!!

• Like 2

There aren't any finalist hornlines I'd remotely qualify as "awful." Seriously?

• Like 6

There aren't any finalist hornlines I'd remotely qualify as "awful." Seriously?

Yes. Seriously. They were that bad. They were bad up close and they were bad from the stands. I heard them play "Clowns" in the lot and was appalled. I goes my point is that they should not have even been a finalist level hornline. There were a number of groups that played better than them that did not make the Saturday night show.

• Like 1

Yes. Seriously. They were that bad. They were bad up close and they were bad from the stands. I heard them play "Clowns" in the lot and was appalled. I goes my point is that they should not have even been a finalist level hornline. There were a number of groups that played better than them that did not make the Saturday night show.

See... Here you've gone and insulted not only SCV's hornline, but every hornline that score below them. They're all "awful", "baneful" monstrosities...

PUH LESE... ph34r.giftongue.gifshutup.gifblink.gifrock.gif

See... Here you've gone and insulted not only SCV's hornline, but every hornline that score below them. They're all "awful", "baneful" monstrosities...

PUH LESE... ph34r.giftongue.gifshutup.gifblink.gifrock.gif

No. Sorry, I must have been unclear. What I meant was there were plenty of hornlines that finished below them that sounded better in my opinion.

• Like 1

No. Sorry, I must have been unclear. What I meant was there were plenty of hornlines that finished below them that sounded better in my opinion.

What colorful adjectives might you use to describe these hornlines:

Pioneer

Jersey Surf

Troopers

Colts

Academy

Pacific Crest

Mandarins

You've made the cardinal mistake that many DCPers accuse judges of making! If SCV's hornline is your "awful," you now have the last place hornline at "Should never have been born." :w00t:

Edited by DrillmanSop06
  • Like 2

Better.

Better than SCV. To my extremely untrained ears. (8 years of drum corps and a terminal degree in music from a decent institution)

Well, I am no expert, (a true understatement), but I have a question........ if Troopers/Academy played SCV's show music while executing their drill, would they be better hornlines than if SCV played and marched their shows? IMHO, this is where such arguments fall short. Apples to oranges, etc, But, I don't really know..... just wondering.

• Like 1