2011 DCI Finals Thread!

There was no Best Color Guard award in 1982. I distinctly recall April Gilligan's DCW Letter to the Editor discussing that.

I can't comment on that, as I don't recall. Geoff will have to clarify where he got his info for that entry. Here's a DCP thread in which this was discussed (and you asked the same question back then, too; seems to be a case of "dueling memories"): DCI Best Color Guard Awards

As for pre-1980, there was that 2 points (not part of the 100 pt scale) where many guards were given 2s.

Yup, I remember that. I don't know if everyone did this, but I recall talking about guard scores in '78 and converting them to double digits (rather than a decimal point). For example, in prelims we scored 1.7, but called it 17. It just sounded better than a measly point and something.

I still don't think there was a separate trophy until 1980. And FWIW, combining numbers with GE marks to arrive at trophies is ridiculous, given there is a separate GE trophy. 1988/1989 is an example as was Spirit being robbed of High Drums in 1980 (Percussion tie w/ Bridgemen but lower GE score).

Well, all I can say is that I clearly remember Santa Clara being announced as the guard trophy winner in '78, and there was a lot of grumbling about it. I can't specifically recall for 1979, maybe because it didn't stir up so much controversy.

Edited by byline

Duplicate.

Edited by jjeffeory

Glad that many fans were excited about this season. DCI will also be excited do to an expected high volumne of DVD sales. (They best not have any issues.) And, I'm really glad that we will not have to read let's get English. At least until that individual replies to this post.

I wonder if they know that English is a specific ethnic group part of Great Britain?

It looks like Holst was at least Swedish, Spanish, and Irish; not English. Vaughan Williams is a Welsh name. Percy Grainger was Australian born, but dead lead a revival of British folk music. One of these composers wasn't even British! The other two composers weren't English. Vaughan Williams would had probably called himself Welsh, and who knows what Holst would have called himself... Irish??? At any rate, none of them would have said "English"...

Great Britain includes Wales, Scotland, England, and Northern Ireland.

So every time I read the statement you are glad that you will not have to read anymore, it was sort of cringe worthy moment for me and I felt a little insulting to the composers. Sorry....

I wonder if they know that English is a specific ethnic group part of Great Britain?

It looks like Holst was at least Swedish, Spanish, and Irish; not English. Vaughan Williams is a Welsh name. Percy Grainger was Australian born, but dead lead a revival of British folk music. One of these composers wasn't even British! The other two composers weren't English. Vaughan Williams would had probably called himself Welsh, and who knows what Holst would have called himself... Irish??? At any rate, none of them would have said "English"...

So every time I read the statement you are glad that you will not have to read anymore, it was sort of cringe worthy moment for me and I felt a little insulting to the composers. Sorry....

Well, Holst and Vaughan Willams were born in England, so that would make them English, right? I suppose they may identify themselves otherwise.

I was born in America, but my parents were born in Wales. Those that make me Welsh? Nope.

Well, Holst and Vaughan Willams were born in England, so that would make them English, right? I suppose they may identify themselves otherwise.

I was born in America, but my parents were born in Wales. Those that make me Welsh? Nope.

That would make them British, but not necessarily English...

You have to remember that the British self identify a bit differently than we do. We'd all pretty much say "white" and be done with it... tongue.gif

So, you very well may be considered Welsh to some Brits.

I'm sure if you call some Scots ( people from Scotland) English, they might give you a look or two....

Anyway, that's been my experience... tongue.gif

Edited by jjeffeory

...dude, does that mean you can *speak* Welsh? Whoa... :worthy:

cg

That would make them British, but not necessarily English...

You have to remember that the British self identify a bit differently than we do. We'd all pretty much say "white" and be done with it... tongue.gif

So, you very well may be considered Welsh to some Brits.

I'm sure if you call some Scots ( people from Scotland) English, they might give you a look or two....

Anyway, that's been my experience... tongue.gif

Obviously, having parents from Great Britain, I know the assigned social differences.

I call myself American. Brits can call me whatever they want.

I call Holst and Vaughan Williams English, if for no other reason than the way the wrote their music.

...dude, does that mean you can *speak* Welsh? Whoa... :worthy:

cg

My parents can, but you would just assume I was American if you heard me speak. They wanted me to have a neutral American accent as a kid, so that's what I got.

I do wish I had the accent, though. I would be much luckier with the ladies if I did thumbup.gif

My parents can, but you would just assume I was American if you heard me speak. They wanted me to have a neutral American accent as a kid, so that's what I got.

I do wish I had the accent, though. I would be much luckier with the ladies if I did thumbup.gif

thumbup.giftongue.gif

OK.... I must be doing my job if I'm annoying people and making others Cringe!! LOL :thumbup:

Many corps have slogans yelled by people for their show every year. During the Dark Blue Knights Years I always yelled- Get Evil Baby!! Now of course I changed that title accordingly. The BK Fan Base Adopted my Slogan this year and ran with it. At Finals I can Audibly hear two GET ENGLISH BABY's being yelled before the start of the show. A large group of people actually had their own 2011 BK Shirts Made and had them at Finals with the Annoying, make you cringe Slogan! :tongue: One thing is for sure, I definitely do not need an ENGLISH Lesson, especially one about music lit. as I have been a music educator for many years and am not a Dumbarse, or at least sometimes! Instead of pulling out a microscope to comb through my slogan inaccuracies, why not just look at the title of the BK Show.... An ENGLISH Folk Song Suite. See here was the secret, I took the ENGLISH out of the title, bookended it with GET and BABY, added wild usage of exclamation points and got? GET ENGLISH BABY!!! Plus it sounds better than- GET BRITISH LOVE, or GET BETTER TEETH or OH BEHAVE BABY YEEEAAAHHHH!!! Oh well on a serious note if I ruined anyones enjoyment of this website or it's threads I say... bwaaahahahahaha... LOL.

Just so that I finish in style I have something for the person who posted they didn't want to see this again-

GET ENGLISH BABY GET ENGLISH BABY GET ENGLISH BABY GET ENGLISH BABY GET ENGLISH BABY GET ENGLISH BABY GET ENGLISH BABY GET ENGLISH BABY GET ENGLISH BABY GET ENGLISH BABY GET ENGLISH BABY GET ENGLISH BABY GET ENGLISH BABY GET ENGLISH BABY GET ENGLISH BABY GET ENGLISH BABY GET ENGLISH BABY GET ENGLISH BABY GET ENGLISH BABY GET ENGLISH BABY GET ENGLISH BABY GET ENGLISH BABY GET ENGLISH BABY GET ENGLISH BABY GET ENGLISH BABY GET ENGLISH BABY GET ENGLISH BABY GET ENGLISH BABY GET ENGLISH BABY GET ENGLISH BABY GET ENGLISH BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tongue:

Enjoy the day and watching drum corps from a spectacular summer, glad I could add some annoyance to it!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Wes P

• Like 1