2011 DCI Finals Thread!

I grabbed a tie out of the closet to wear to work tonight. My lovely bride took one look and said, "Blue and black? Tonight? Here, wear this one with maroon instead."

True story!

BTW, she'll also swear I said Juliet would kill herself on finals night.

One more thing for those wondering how many times Regiment has killed people on the field, the answer is 81, 82, 08 and 11.

Garry in Vegas

And '06.

And '06.

Oh, good. Another excuse to watch that show and see for myself!

Garry in Vegas

I remember 1985 when they announced captions before scores. Visual and Guard to SCV and Drums to BD. Cadets 3peated, but their caption awards weren't announced until after. Was that supposed to be "suspense?" (After PBS cut out, they snatched the Guard trophy from SCV and gave it to Spirit. Oops!)

Yup, I remember that. Bizarre moment! Here on DCP, there have been several threads devoted to this topic, thanks to the fact that the criteria for determining the DCI finals guard caption award winner have varied wildly over the years. Here's the most recent info I could find, courtesy of Geoff (the reason Spirit is listed in parentheses a couple of times is because we were debating which years Spirit won the guard trophy):

(GMichael1230 @ Jul 25 2006, 12:10 PM)

Ok, here goes:

1972 Anaheim Kingsmen

1973 Troopers

1974 SCV

1975 27th

1976 27th

1977 Phantom Regiment

1978 SCV/27th

1979 27th

1980 27th

1981 SCV

1982 Blue Devils

1983 Madison Scouts

1984 Blue Devils

1985 Spirit of Atlanta

1986 Blue Devils (Spirit 2nd)

1987 Spirit of Atlanta

1988 Phantom Regiment (Spirit 4th)

1989 Cadets

1990 Blue Devils

1991 Cadets

1992 Blue Devils

1993 Cadets

1994 Cadets

1995 Blue Devils

1996 Cadets

1997 Blue Devils

1998 Blue Devils

1999 Blue Devils

2000 Cavaliers

2001 Blue Devils

2002 Cavaliers

2003 Blue Devils

2004 Cavaliers

2005 Cadets

~G~

Cadets over BD in feet is an atrocity.

I'm gonna go with No on this one! Why not just enjoy what's been a fantastic season and Congratulate the Cadets!! Way to go Cadets and all corps on maybe the most Phenominal season ever!:)

1978 SCV/27th

Also, just to clarify, in 1978 Santa Clara and Two-Seven did tie for the top score in the finals guard caption, but in the notes that I took at DCI finals, I have the award being presented solely to Santa Clara (probably because they also won the GE caption, and that was used as the tie-breaker):

1978dcifinals.jpg?t=1242018309

There was a lotta head-shaking over that . . . and as much as I enjoyed the softer, subtle, elegant quality that Santa Clara brought to the table, I would have to agree. IMO, any guard that does not have weapons should not win against a guard that does, and especially one with as great a guard book as 27th Lancers consistently had. The only aspect of Two-Seven's show I didn't like that year was putting the rifle line on pompoms. That's like putting world champion equestrians on a pony ride!

Glad that many fans were excited about this season. DCI will also be excited do to an expected high volumne of DVD sales. (They best not have any issues.) And, I'm really glad that we will not have to read let's get English. At least until that individual replies to this post.

• Like 2

Cadets over BD in feet is an atrocity.

On which part of the field were you running? Or did you somehow find a better vantage point that DCI judges (since 1972) have been unable to decipher?

When a corps sweeps the same caption QF, SF and Finals, it's a pretty good indicator that said corps was superior in that caption. Nobody is arguing brass, perc or GE, are they?

• Like 4

Yup, I remember that. Bizarre moment! Here on DCP, there have been several threads devoted to this topic, thanks to the fact that the criteria for determining the DCI finals guard caption award winner have varied wildly over the years. Here's the most recent info I could find, courtesy of Geoff (the reason Spirit is listed in parentheses a couple of times is because we were debating which years Spirit won the guard trophy):

(GMichael1230 @ Jul 25 2006, 12:10 PM)

Ok, here goes:

1982 Blue Devils

~G~

There was no Best Color Guard award in 1982. I distinctly recall April Gilligan's DCW Letter to the Editor discussing that. As for pre-1980, there was that 2 points (not part of the 100 pt scale) where many guards were given 2s. I still don't think there was a separate trophy until 1980. And FWIW, combining numbers with GE marks to arrive at trophies is ridiculous, given there is a separate GE trophy. 1988/1989 is an example as was Spirit being robbed of High Drums in 1980 (Percussion tie w/ Bridgemen but lower GE score).

Big BD Fan here. Great season to all the corps, a truly GREAT and enjoyable season. I hate to say this since I'm not a fan of Hopkins, but what a great design he and the Cadets staff put together this year. As much as I hate to see BD lose, I'm glad they lost to this show. I just hope the Cadets continue down this path of design. I'm already looking forward to next season!

• Like 2