The OFFICIAL 2012 Prediction Thread

Most seasons there are clumps of corps grouped together among the top 12. Since i don't want to predict placement exactly, i will try and predict the different tiers or clumps.

First tier: Cadets, BD, Crown

Second Tier: SCV, Cavies

Third Tier: Bloo, Boston, Phantom

Fourth Tier: Madison, BK Glassmen

Fifth Tier: Blue Stars, and just missing the cut, troopers, spirit, and crossmen

I guess I'll play along too...

01. Santa Clara Vanguard

02. Carolina Crown

03. The Cavaliers

04. Blue Devils

05. The Cadets

06. Boston Crusaders

07. Phantom Regiment

08. Bluecoats

09. Blue Knights

10. Madison Scouts

11. Spirit of Atlanta

12. Crossmen

-------------------------

13. Blue Stars

14. Glassmen

15. The Academy

Etc.

Edited by FaustianMachine
  • Like 2

Yeah, but it doesn't mean that those rookies are going to come back. The rookies that loved the brass staff that was let go, may not come back. The rookies that didn't like the old brass staff, may be jaded about the whole SCV organization and how things were handled and they too may not come back. With lots of staff turnover (which SCV has been the model of), means that you are probably not going to have good retention and therefore, will be young.

Listen, I am not saying SCV is going to finish 8th. Not at all actually. However, if they do I wouldn't be surprised because they, as a corps, have been trending downward. Sure, they hired some new (and in my opinion, better) staff. That does not mean that all is fixed and even if it does, it does not at all mean that all will be fixed right away. Saying that SCV is going to automatically be in the hunt for a medal and especially a championship NEXT year is putting unfair expectations on the members and the staff. Building that in this activity takes time. Look how long it took for Crown to build up to that level and even then they have only medaled once.

Having the reaction of "Really? SCV in eighth? ok, dude" makes it sound like 8th is so far out of the question that the poster who predicted them there is WAY off base. It also implies that SCV is bound for much much higher than 8th. I think that is both unrealistic and unfair fo 2012. Maybe they will be in the hunt in 2013. Certainly they should be in 2014 if the staff stays intact.

Could you imagine what it would be like if a championship corps fell all the way to 8th or ninth the next year? What if someone would have predicted that on here? They would have been ripped to shreds, right?... Didn't a recent championship drum corps fall all the way from 1st to 9th in one year? Oh yeah, they did, and a majority of this "dream team design" staff were the ones responsible for both the first, and the eighth place finish. So, those are just a few reasons why I say that they could finish in 8th and I wouldn't be surprised. I think they will finish a little higher (5th or 6th maybe?), but if they finish lower I would not be surprised.

Anyways, what I meant by this all was: Give it time.

Look, I'm not drinking the "SCV to win in '12" punch, not by a long shot, but falling to 8th is unlikely when the biggest problems (design and brass scores) are being attended to in the form of JD and Wozniak.

No, no I'm not saying that all problems will be fixed or that no backsliding will happen, I'm just saying that that's unlikely.

• Like 2

1. Cavaliers

2. Blue Devils [i believe these are a lock]

3. Cadets

4. Crown

5. SCV [i believe these are a lock but positions could flip flop]

6. PR

7. Blue Coats

8. BK

9. Madison [ I believe these are a lock but positions might flip]

10. Boston

11. Blue Stars

12. Glassmen

13. Academy

Edited by Phantombari1

I'll play...

1. Madison (good staff, tradition, better percussion)

2. The Cadets (Pearl Harbor)

3. Cavaliers (the test; new drill writer)

4. Blue Devils (crazy, misunderstood, but judges like them)

5. Carolina Crown (good show, top horns)

6. Santa Clara Vanguard (tradition)

7. Phantom Regiment (tradition)

8. Bluecoats (good show)

9. Blue Stars (consistent)

10. Crossmen (retention, best trumpets)

11. Boston Crusaders (not as good as 2011)

12. Spirit (loud; heart)

Edited by xbones7480
  • Like 2