The OFFICIAL 2012 Prediction Thread

1. BD, Though I wish they would be more appealing to a wider audience, they will again perform well with a show concept that most judges will be afraid and unequipped to criticize. The performance level will again surpass most in all captions.

2, Crown, Though a bit of a stretch, I suspect the new staff members who I see as fitting better with the remaining staff than those who have left will make for a great summer and overall product.

3. SCV, see above (Crown) PLUS a much better rep and audience appeal

4. Phantom, An even better year and vying for the guard trophy, the lack luster drill and thuddy look of large college marching band forms will keep things in fourth

5. Cadets, just a hunch that they will have some areas of show development that just don't click

6. Cavies, I am just tired of what we have seen and heard the last few years and don't think this year's offering will garner much more excitement or interest. The overblown and pretty nasty brass issues, especially pitch and poor balance will finally be recognized as such

7. Bluecoats, feeling that staff changes and a large turnover of members will keep things in seventh

8. Boston, great technique but lack luster overall design

9. Madison, new and old staff don't click well despite improved overall talent level

10. Spirit of Atlanta, seem to be taking care of business in the off season, much depends on members bringing a higher personal performance level to all-days

11. Blue Knights, good again, but not better

12. Blue Star, nice show, but...

13. Academy, a stronger year and some captions clearly better

14. Crossmen, see above

15. Glassmen, lost half of their best caption people and the brass issues are not getting attention

16. BDB, scare some people even more in 2012

17. SCV Cadets, see above

18. Trooper, lots of heart but not enough talent or show interest

19. PC, good again

20. Colts, keep loosing staff through the winter and overcoming staff issues from 2010-2011

21. Cascades, better but so are most

22. Mandarins, see above

23. Jersey Surf, clever but rebuilding still

24. Teal Sound, rough winter

25. Pioneer, reaching their goals

As my niece says "NEGATIVE MUCH?"

• Like 1

Its fun seeing all these predictions, but its really interesting how high everyone is placing SCV on their lists. I assume its because of all the staff changes going on with the corps, that being the new Bluecoats staff and JD Shaw meeting up with Rennick for the creative music staff. Visually I can see this would be a huge improvement; no offense I love SCV, but last year was kind of rough visually. But are JD and Rennick really going to make the corps jump almost 4 or 5 placements?

Don't get me wrong the JD&R team make fantastic shows and the corps will no doubt benefit from this, but why so much? I say this because JD&R had been at the Phantom Regiment for almost a decade straight and most people predicted much lower and some, after what happened in 09, said they would even drop out of the top 12. So why would the same team all of a sudden have such a huge success doing the same thing but at another place? And keep in mind JD Shaw is ONLY the arranger, not the caption head. The writing is definitely an improvement, but JD won't be with the hornline 24/7 to create that classic Regiment sound that he has been known for.

Sorry if I sound negative, I'm really not trying to be. It just seems silly to me that a staff change to a team people that were previously thought to be 'alright' would throw a corps up the ranks so much. An improvement? Yes. 2nd or 3rd place? IMO, no.

Edited by thatguy65
  • Like 2

Do you want 2012 SCV to sound like Phantom Regiment? If so, I'm certain you'll be disappointed. :cool:

No, each corps has a unique style that they approach their music which is great. I'm just saying that J.D. won't be teaching the music he writes, which has been a staple to the JD&R package.

And whats wrong with the PR sound? Yea they switched to Jupiters after 08 and since then has had a rough overall sound, but the quality of those horns have been improving every year. Plus the talent of the hornline and the approach to the sound has been, IMO, impressive and consistent for the past decade.

Edited by thatguy65
  • Like 1

No, each corps has a unique style that they approach their music which is great. I'm just saying that J.D. won't be teaching the music he writes, which has been a staple to the JD&R package.

And whats wrong with the PR sound? Yea they switched to Jupiters after 08 and since then has had a rough overall sound, but the quality of those horns have been improving every year. Plus the talent of the hornline and the approach to the sound has been, IMO, impressive and consistent for the past decade.

I cannot imagine that Bruckner was saying that anything was wrong with PR's sound--only that SCV will not sound like PR at least in the brass. Each corps still has a distinctive sound that is not necessarily "better" than the other.

Edited by Cadets98
  • Like 1

I cannot imagine that Bruckner was saying that anything was wrong with PR's sound--only that SCV will not sound like PR at least in the brass. Each corps still has a distinctive sound that is not necessarily "better" than the other.

Oh, haha. Sorry Bruckner.

Phantom-As much as classic old school Phantom is great, I still don't think that this will do as well as Juliet especially if they go with the high school drill again.

Jamey Thompson has more tact in his pinkey finger than 99.9% of all visual designers to ever take a breath.

Their entire show was a ballad, basically. He showed more professionalism with how he treated that program than is imaginable.

They were rewarded visually for his professionalism last year. In fact, the biggest issues that the judging community had with the visual program is when he veered away from that slow flowing drill in the closer with all the double time stuff (much of which was scrapped over the course of the season).

• Like 6

Jamey Thompson bleeds class. He makes me extremely proud to be an alumnus of Phantom Regiment. I was very lucky to march one year in his drill. He has the keen ability to focus on what really matters within a program, and he's a drill writer that makes the program count and is the least selfish human being you will ever meet.

Jamey could have went all out last season. He can write serious, crazy, extravagant, geometric, gyroscopic drill--- BUT, he wrote drill that fits the music.

No one could have written better drill with such a slowly paced program.

• Like 5