The OFFICIAL 2012 Prediction Thread

No sweat. Cadets98 summed it up very well. Note that when you say "impressive and consistent for the past decade," I'd say that PR has sounded like that forever!

Gosh Bruckner...it's like you know what SCV is going to sound like before they even hit the field. :ph34r:

• Like 2

Jamey Thompson has more tact in his pinkey finger than 99.9% of all visual designers to ever take a breath.

Their entire show was a ballad, basically. He showed more professionalism with how he treated that program than is imaginable.

They were rewarded visually for his professionalism last year. In fact, the biggest issues that the judging community had with the visual program is when he veered away from that slow flowing drill in the closer with all the double time stuff (much of which was scrapped over the course of the season).

agreed, he did an incredible job, one of the best visual designs on the field last summer. definitely the best PR has had since 06 (which was also him). A shame that people don't recognize this because it's not kaleidoscope-like, full of tricks type drill.

Gosh Bruckner...it's like you know what SCV is going to sound like before they even hit the field. :ph34r:

it's not like he's on their brass staff or anything. haha

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2
  • Like 4

I'm glad the three of you have given your support for Jamey. It took all I had the other day to not say some biting remarks to the absurd notions of "high school drill."

Michael Cesario (someone who is a creative genius and understands visual presentation as well as he does) said that Regiment's drill had "pictorial integrity" and was the epitome of "motivated movement." I'll take his professional view over any DCP poster.

• Like 2

Jamey Thompson bleeds class. He makes me extremely proud to be an alumnus of Phantom Regiment. I was very lucky to march one year in his drill. He has the keen ability to focus on what really matters within a program, and he's a drill writer that makes the program count and is the least selfish human being you will ever meet.

Jamey could have went all out last season. He can write serious, crazy, extravagant, geometric, gyroscopic drill--- BUT, he wrote drill that fits the music.

No one could have written better drill with such a slowly paced program.

I have a feeling that we'll see that this year.

• Like 1

No the visual staff does not come up with drill ideas. Please do not underscore the creative impact Mike Gaines had on the cavalier organization. Steve brubaker wrote the drill in 92 for the championship. And Greg wrote the drill in 95. So two other drill writers won one championship each. And mike has won every championship they have had since. Both Mike and Greg growing up, were learning from Steve. It's always been in the family so to speak.

This year I'm feeling shades of 1997. Shooop

Oh no I didn't mean the visual staff came up with the drill design oh no no, I was not trying to underscore Mr. Gains in anyway possible. SO sorry if I seemed like that, I was tryting to say that he works with the visual staff really. So sorry if I came across like that.

So basically -- you think he's just a drill writer who can simply be replaced by another drill writer?? And you have faith things will be fine.

That's cool and maybe they will be.

I think you severely underestimate what MG brought to design. And -- when it gets down to it -- reaching the very top is mostly a function of design. Everyone (at the top) can march, play, and spin.

haha no, I didn't make my point correctly... now re-reading that I remember I was in the middle of studying for college finals and I was taking a break MY BAD! I by all means do not undestimate MG in anyway. If you read my last post on this thread you will see what I mean... again really sorry if I came across the wrong way.

Cavies will drop out of the top 5 and will be carried by their percussion who will win their caption this year.

This would constitute a surprise as the Cavies have finished out of the top 5 only once in the last 28 years.

• Like 2

while im not downplaying MG leaving and Hinshaw as a replacement, we have to remember that the Cavaliers organization know what championship drill design looks like. The Cavaliers design team is very experienced and have been around the corps for many years and alot of them for championship years. I have faith that someone would step up and provide guidance and say .."you know what this drill isnt really working" or "you know what we need to take this drill up a notch". Trust me the design team knows the history/tradition of Cavaliers drill design. They know that the audience expects nothing less then spectacular from them year after year.

Agreed, and this is all that Hook was trying to say.

This year will be a very collaborative effort. I am sure that Hinshaw will do fine and collaborate with the rest of the staff. They will let him know if something isn't up to Cavalier standards. They aren't known as the Green Machine for nothing...

MG is incredible; there have been many great drill writers in the Cavalier's History and I am sure that the drill will still be Cavalier drill...

Who writes the Cavaliers' drill?

Here are the drill writers over the Corps' history:

1948 The Cavaliers were formed

1949 Parades only

1950 First field show

1951-1952 Art Garikes/ Dick Snyder/ Glenn Hatton/ Sal Ferrera

1953-1954 Dick Folsum

1955 Sal Ferrera

1956 Earl Joyce

1957 -1968 Lenny Piekarski

1969-1972 Paul Litteau

1973 Scotty Wild

1974 Bob Hesner

1975 Bob Hesner/Tim Guare

1976 Steve Buglino

1977 Steve Buglino/ Bob Hesner

1978 Bob Hesner

1979 Gary Czapinski (rewrites by Ralph Pace)

1980-1981 Ralph Pace

1982-1983 Steve Brubaker

1984 Steve Brubaker (with help from Tim Guare)

1985-1989 Steve Brubaker

1990-1991 Steve Brubaker (with help from Greg Poklacki)

1992 Steve Brubaker/ Greg Poklacki/ Michael Gaines/ Jeff Fiedler/ Mitch Rogers/ Gordon Henderson/ Chris Marchetti/

1993 Michael Gaines/ Mitch Rogers

1994 Mitch Rogers

1995 Greg Poklacki

1996 Greg Poklacki (rewrites by Pat Ruddy/Mike Tarr)

1997 Vince Noble

1998-2011: Michael Gaines

2012:

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 2