The OFFICIAL 2012 Prediction Thread

haha no, I didn't make my point correctly... now re-reading that I remember I was in the middle of studying for college finals and I was taking a break MY BAD! I by all means do not undestimate MG in anyway. If you read my last post on this thread you will see what I mean... again really sorry if I came across the wrong way.

No need to apologize.

And I understand why you think they'll be fine. I don't think they're going to collapse or anything. In fact I agree with most of what you said -- the talent and the rest of the design team will carry on very successfully. In fact I think a new visual look for the Cavies is -- on the whole -- a good thing.

I'm just skeptical that they'll sail on completely unaffected by MGs absence.

Agreed, and this is all that Hook was trying to say.

This year will be a very collaborative effort. I am sure that Hinshaw will do fine and collaborate with the rest of the staff. They will let him know if something isn't up to Cavalier standards. They aren't known as the Green Machine for nothing...

MG is incredible; there have been many great drill writers in the Cavalier's History and I am sure that the drill will still be Cavalier drill...

Who writes the Cavaliers' drill?

Here are the drill writers over the Corps' history:

1948 The Cavaliers were formed

1949 Parades only

1950 First field show

1951-1952 Art Garikes/ Dick Snyder/ Glenn Hatton/ Sal Ferrera

1953-1954 Dick Folsum

1955 Sal Ferrera

1956 Earl Joyce

1957 -1968 Lenny Piekarski

1969-1972 Paul Litteau

1973 Scotty Wild

1974 Bob Hesner

1975 Bob Hesner/Tim Guare

1976 Steve Buglino

1977 Steve Buglino/ Bob Hesner

1978 Bob Hesner

1979 Gary Czapinski (rewrites by Ralph Pace)

1980-1981 Ralph Pace

1982-1983 Steve Brubaker

1984 Steve Brubaker (with help from Tim Guare)

1985-1989 Steve Brubaker

1990-1991 Steve Brubaker (with help from Greg Poklacki)

1992 Steve Brubaker/ Greg Poklacki/ Michael Gaines/ Jeff Fiedler/ Mitch Rogers/ Gordon Henderson/ Chris Marchetti/

1993 Michael Gaines/ Mitch Rogers

1994 Mitch Rogers

1995 Greg Poklacki

1996 Greg Poklacki (rewrites by Pat Ruddy/Mike Tarr)

1997 Vince Noble

1998-2011: Michael Gaines

2012:

Past performance is not an indicator of future success.

Visual design has been the weakness of Academy all along, and Hinshaw made it worse, not better.

The Cavaliers will be good, the Cavaliers will be just fine, but there is a HUGE whole missing in the staff now. It won't be a one year fix.

Your list LOOKS impressive, but when broken down, I see 2 guys who have written for 26 years (a very large chunk of the program's history). Those two guys just happen to be 2 of the 5 best drill writers in the history of the activity.

• Like 6

Visual design has been the weakness of Academy all along, and Hinshaw made it worse, not better.

The Cavaliers will be good, the Cavaliers will be just fine, but there is a HUGE whole missing in the staff now. It won't be a one year fix.

Your list LOOKS impressive, but when broken down, I see 2 guys who have written for 26 years (a very large chunk of the program's history). Those two guys just happen to be 2 of the 5 best drill writers in the history of the activity.

I think their list looks very impressive! tongue.gif

I'm concerned but hopeful. I am 100% positive that if Hinshaw has any problems, there will be people to help.

I mean, look at the list. Drill is a priority for the Cavaliers and there have been many seasons where multiple drill writers are involved in a season.

It's in our history...

Don't get too hung up on Tradition, now.....

Interesting comment. I thought you discounted the value of " Tradition ".

Its not like the new drill writer has had any success with other marching groups that have better design teams than the Academy might. :ph34r:

Band or corps, winning the gold doesn't happen unless all facets* are involved. Especially two years in a row. or 3..........

I think more so, we need to think about the change in artistic conceptual designers. MG did more than drill.

Edited by TheClutch

Band or corps, winning the gold doesn't happen unless all faucets are involved.

In August, the cold ones especially.

1. BD, Though I wish they would be more appealing to a wider audience, they will again perform well with a show concept that most judges will be afraid and unequipped to criticize. The performance level will again surpass most in all captions.

2, Crown, Though a bit of a stretch, I suspect the new staff members who I see as fitting better with the remaining staff than those who have left will make for a great summer and overall product.

3. SCV, see above (Crown) PLUS a much better rep and audience appeal

4. Phantom, An even better year and vying for the guard trophy, the lack luster drill and thuddy look of large college marching band forms will keep things in fourth

5. Cadets, just a hunch that they will have some areas of show development that just don't click

6. Cavies, I am just tired of what we have seen and heard the last few years and don't think this year's offering will garner much more excitement or interest. The overblown and pretty nasty brass issues, especially pitch and poor balance will finally be recognized as such

7. Bluecoats, feeling that staff changes and a large turnover of members will keep things in seventh

8. Boston, great technique but lack luster overall design

9. Madison, new and old staff don't click well despite improved overall talent level

10. Spirit of Atlanta, seem to be taking care of business in the off season, much depends on members bringing a higher personal performance level to all-days

11. Blue Knights, good again, but not better

12. Blue Star, nice show, but...

13. Academy, a stronger year and some captions clearly better

14. Crossmen, see above

15. Glassmen, lost half of their best caption people and the brass issues are not getting attention

16. BDB, scare some people even more in 2012

17. SCV Cadets, see above

18. Trooper, lots of heart but not enough talent or show interest

19. PC, good again

20. Colts, keep loosing staff through the winter and overcoming staff issues from 2010-2011

21. Cascades, better but so are most

22. Mandarins, see above

23. Jersey Surf, clever but rebuilding still

24. Teal Sound, rough winter

25. Pioneer, reaching their goals

1. The Blue Devils don't win by confusing the judges, they win by being good. Go ahead and tell us that their drill and music isn't spotless.

2. Not really much of a stretch, Crown is a class act. They could win the gold and it wouldn't be too surprising.

3. ...Okay I'll give you that one. But I like Devil's Staircase personally.

4. College marching band forms? You mean like a script "Phantom" sprawling across the field while the entire corps high-steps? Yeah they don't do that.

5. Could be, but probably not. Even with all the good parts covered up by narration they still got 2nd.

6. Have you listened to the Cavies recently? Their music is on par with their visual and fits their show themes perfectly. I doubt many people will get sick of it.

7. So essentially you're saying that massive changes will... change nothing?

8. Uh, no. Boston has some of the greatest design of any corps, even some of the ones that place above them. I'm really looking forward to this year's show.

9. Well at least you have them above 10th. Fine, you can have that one too.

10. I think Spirit's just fine in the effort department. Ask anyone that's seen a rehearsal.

11. The show hasn't even been announced yet! At this point the only fair assumptions for the Blue Knights are that they'll either stay in 9th or ride on the success of last year.

12. But what?

13. Alright, you're 3 and 10 now.

14. 4 and 10.

15. Even if those problems are really happening, I don't think that will be enough to put them in 15th.

16. They're good but not 16th good.

17. SCVC above the Troopers? Not gonna happen. Even a few years ago when the Troopers were at their worst SCVC didn't compare.

18. The Troopers have plenty of talent, and you really think a steampunk show isn't going to be interesting?

19. 5 and... 14?

20. Colts in 20th is about as likely as SCVC beating the Troopers, or the Colts for that matter.

21. Yeah they will be better. I don't know if I should give you a point for that one.

22. They've been getting a lot better lately. I don't think I see them in 22nd.

23. Rebuilding? I think they're way past that phase. Get on YouTube and see for yourself.

24. Yeah they've been having a rough time, but I don't think that will slow them down.

25. For being positive enough about Pioneer to put them in semis I'll give you another point, even though Oregon is mysteriously missing from this list. Your final grade is 6 and 19.

• Like 1

Interesting comment. I thought you discounted the value of " Tradition ".

Read that thread again. If anything, I'm not sure where I stand on the subject, that's why I initiated a discussion on it. I'd like to hear both sides of it and try to figure out where I stand.

I've been on both sides of the coin---in corps that reak of tradition... and now with some marching programs that don't.

That quote came up in conversation a couple weeks ago and I thought I'd throw it out there and feel out the responses.

• Like 1

I mean, look at the list...there have been many seasons where multiple drill writers are involved in a season.

It's in our history...

By far, this is one of the reasons I keep saying they will be okay. I really don't think Hinshaw is the answer, plus I do think they will falter a little.

That said, that organization won't go down without a fight.

• Like 2