Congrats to Phantom

Even with many putting you in the 9th position you proved them wrong. As I said after the first show, if Phantom finishes in the top 5 this year with all the changes, look out in 2012.

If they had Paul as their drum arranger this year they would have placed no better than 5th. I love Pauls writing but you have to give it up for Gwaltney for having a great first year with Phantom.

• Like 8

While I agree that Mr. Gawaltney did a fantastic job with Phantom this year, and I don't want to take anything away from that, you are incorrect in thinking that they couldn't have finished stronger without a change in percussion staff this past season. Just to play devil's advocate, lets assume that Mr. Rennick stayed with Phantom this year. In his tenure with Phantom the last few years, they were pretty consistently in the top 3 in percussion. Lets assume that they had tied with the Cadets for 3rd in percussion last night. That gives them a 19.2 in percussion rather than an 18.5. That translates into a 9.6 in actual score vs a 9.25. That boosts their overall music score of 28.4, and a new total score of 95.4 putting them ahead of Crown for 4th place. Now, that's just assuming that a stronger percussion section has no effect on their ensemble score at all.

Again, I'm not saying that it would have happened that way, but lets not make absolute statements like that when there is no way to know for sure. Paul Rennick isn't just an arranger, he's also a very good instructor, with a very good instructional staff.

Its great that Phantom had such a strong year. I'm certainly happy to see them in the top 5, but consistency of staff is a big deal in this activity. Any time instruction changes, vets or no, there is going to be an adjustment period. In all likelihood, both Vanguard and Phantom will have stronger percussion sections next year than this year, simply due to a year of consistency.

• Like 6

Hands down, the most emotional I have ever been for a show. I only saw them live 4 times in person, and each time I was in tears at the end. They ripped my heart out, and then asked for seconds. I am not sure I can listen to the show in the car, I might start weeping again.

• Like 1

I agree whole heartedly that this has been a great season for the Regiment. They have proved a lot of folk on DCP wrong. I too remember the 9th place predictions… I even remember a few 10th and an 11th place predictions!

However with regard to next season, I wouldn't count our chickens just yet. I remember not so long ago a Corps who shall remain nameless winning one year then finishing 9th the next. Not saying that will repeat itself but it’s worth bearing in mind… :ph34r:

• Like 2

1st place would have been cool and all but I can't say that I'm disappointed by any stretch of the imagination by this season. The show was absolutely incredible and brought tears to my eye each and every time. The most emotional drum corps show I have ever seen. I was literally JUMPING out of my seat when I saw it live. It made me so proud to be a Phantom Phan. I auditioned for Phantom 2 years ago and made it, but I had to drop out in April because of some health and financial issues. I still consider being a part of the program for only a few months an incredible honor and this season couldn't have made me prouder. I can't wait until November because I'm trying out again and hopefully I'll get to be a member of the best drum corps on the planet and have a spot in another phenomenal show. Great job this year Regiment, you blew us all away!

• Like 1

I think the fact that they pulled 7th place in drums with a 100% rookie percussion section is one of the greatest accomplishments we've seen in a long time. Bravo.

So every member of the drumline and pit were new to Phantom in 2011? I know lots of members followed Paul to SCV, but every former member must have aged out, went elsewhere or stayed home this summer. I would be interested in finding out how the numbers broke down.

I LOVED their music this year. The story elements however, not so much. They just didn't make sense. I was told (and that's the only reason I know) that the entire hornline was supposed to represent Romeo and the entire guard was supposed to represent Juliet. I was also told (by the same poster) that the hornline represented the Montagues and the Capulets battling. Hmmm? If they are all supposed to represent Romeo then this clearly makes no sense. Also, if the hornline represented Romeo, the ending REALLY makes no sense. All of a sudden, you have the drum major go out and die on the field. I guess now that HE'S supposed to represent Romeo? OK....He wasn't even the one that "Juliet" (one of them...) was dancing with (er...dancing with his helmet), that was one of the hornline members. None of this kept me from enjoying the heck out of this show. In fact, it's definitely one of my favorite shows of the year. However, if you're going to do a "story", PLEASE make sure that you tell a logical story and that everything is copacetic. Otherwise, you just confuse the viewer, taking them out of the moment. Just my two cents. Again, LOVED this show, but a little confused by how they went about telling the story. Oh, one last thing...WHY oh WHY did Tom Blair and co. decide to get a shot of Juliet's suicide from the WRONG SIDE? It completely ruins the effect. Sigh....

• Like 4

So every member of the drumline and pit were new to Phantom in 2011? I know lots of members followed Paul to SCV, but every former member must have aged out, went elsewhere or stayed home this summer. I would be interested in finding out how the numbers broke down.

None of the drummers at Regiment this year had been there before. 100% rookie members and staff. A few had marched at Spirit with Gawaltney before and one at Cavaliers.

All but 1 eligible member (she stayed home) followed Rennik to SCV.