Favorite Moments of 2011

A few things have grown on me,watching on the FN since the season ended.

I have never been the greatest fan of the Blue Knights, but now I can't get enough of their pre-game setup along with the entire first part of the show. And no, it's not because I live in the '80s and they remind me of the 27th Lancers, it's because I love the classy way they enter the field, and I love the arrangements. Blue Knights, thumbs WAY up for making me a big fan this year.

Blue Devils guard. I am not a guard person, but even a dummy like me can watch the final ensemble guard move front and center as BD brings it home at the end, and all I can say is WOW! Who thinks of this stuff, and where do they find such talented people to pull that off?

And the Vanguard with their final few minutes of the show. The music blows me away, it's why I love drum corps. I did not have this feeling about SCV earlier in the season, but this is another show that has brought me back to them and made me fall in love with the Vanguard again.

I also believe with the changes SCV has made in staff, I see a HUGE upside to their 2012 show, no matter what show they put on the field.

You heard it here first. Vanguard, top 3. :cool:

• Like 1

The fact that BD did not win.

Cadet's uniform considerations during the drill. EPIC!

Crowns entire show. Especially PIB.

Elsa's. Thanks PR.

Holst on the field with integrity. Thanks BK.

Spirit of Atlanta reminding us of old famous them, but being different from EVERYONE else. Loved it!

Oregon Crusaders spunk. Should have won, but that does not matter as much as the fans they gained.

Overall, a sense that entertainment value mattered at least somewhat.

• Like 2

Oregon Crusaders were excellent! I also really enjoyed the Mandarin' show this year. Crossmen as usual were fantastic, the ballad was beautiful, so glad to see a corps doing Hallelujah on field, it's one of my favorite songs...

academy's ballad was phenomenal as well. I had doubts about Madison's closer...and then I saw it. That and Boston's Bari solo literally made my jaw drop.

Crown was a pleasant surprise as well...I thought it would be completely bando but it rocked!

An BD was excellent again, loved that double tongue section, and for some reason that part where they wer marching along the outline of the stairs really sticks in my mind as awesome.

• Like 1

I'll answer on behalf of my 3 1/2 year old who, BTW, sat through not one, but 3 nights of drum corps with very few meltdowns (if you have littleones, you know what I mean):

Crown - "Too Loud"

Love it!!!! :thumbup:

My favorite moment happened at the Bristol, RI show this summer. At the show it was raining, and then as the Crossmen were playing Hallelujah, the sun came out. I found it to be one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. Besides that, I had several favorites:

Jersey Surf - Kiss from a Rose

Cadets: Whole Show

Spirit of Atlanta: Harlem Nocturne

Blue Knights: Tenor players from the pit

Cascades: Whole Show

Madison Scouts: Empire State of Mind

Bluecoats: Creep

Crossmen: Hallelujah

Colts: Swan Lake

Crown: Herbert smashing the guitar.

Madison: Tower fall.

Cadets: Demon drumline coming out of the tunnel.

Troopers: Infinite chord. They held it forever!

All of them, plus Boston's baritone soloist for me.

All of them, plus Boston's baritone soloist for me.

May I add an overlooked solo? The trumpet solo AFTER the bari solo (actually, in between the two bari solo sections) in Bring Him Home was just as beautiful and played as well as any solo done this year.

I think most people didn't comment because It wasn't a screamer and it was a relatively short passage, but the tone was great and played with feeling.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1