Favorite Moments of 2011

Madison - "Mommy, why are you crying?" (My wife marched Suncoast who Robert Smith wrote for in the 80's. That man can write music!)

Awww! You had me laughing at your daughter's "tents" and "Boo!" comments, then misting up over this.

• Like 1

1. Carolina Crown's entire show. Just awesome and exciting!

2. Phantom's second piece. LOVE IT!

3. Cavies afore-mentioned shenanigans

AND FINALLY...

4. One of my favorite little "things" this year: During Crown's closer (not the "encore"), just to the left of the third stage prop thingy (counting from left to right), just to the left of the 40 yard line on side 1, there is a member who does a "back spin" into position to play his part in the next section of the song. On the fan network finals VODS, it happens at 11:28-11:29. I loved this each time I saw it. It always gave me a good laugh and brought back memories of when I used to break dance. (Don't make fun of me, it was the 80s :lol: )

This season for everyone was fantastic. For the first time in quite a few years, I can't fit the shows I want to listen to over and over and over on to one CD.

But, my favorite "moments" of 2011...

• Madison - the closer; APD's and VOD's were great, watching it live was... truly "electric" (Thank you)
  • Phantom Regiment - the battling brass [families] leading in to the drum break hammered out with angry power and emotion (and gritted-teeth)
  • Cadets - the frantic closing drill leading into the final company front and the Angels "winning" over the Dev... er, I mean Demons
  • Crown - the encore (with honorable mention going to the first encore added for San Antonio - those mello runs were incredible)
  • Bluecoats - the opener; the mello's melody slowly backfilled with the rest of the brass washing in to an incredible lush full sound
  • SCV - the closer when the drumline wegde books it from front to back up the 50
  • Surf - 4th generation of a great friend's family marching drum corps

• 2 months later...

In absolutely no particular order;

-Cadets Opening. Talk about theatrics.

-Cadets mello rip in the opener.

-Cadets entire drum feature. Most exciting drum feature I have ever seen (granted I've known about DCI since 2006).

-Blue Devils snare feature from the opener. So cool.

-Blue Devils tenor feature from the opener. Still so cool.

-Blue Devils drum feature. I absolutely dug it.

-Cavaliers trumpet duet in the opener.

-Cavaliers trumpet/mello double tonguing in the opener.

-And the rest of the opener from there.

-Cavaliers drum feature (starting from laying on the basses all the way to the end)

-Cavaliers trumpet feature (with upside down trumpets)

-Cavaliers screamers (never heard the B right on though. Hopefully it was there finals.

-Carolina Crown opening drum feature and Paint It Black

-Phantom Regiment's drum feature. Elsa had a huge amount of emotion as well.

-Santa Clara Vanguard opening (drums are so frakking loud!)

-SCV ballad.

-Bluecoats Creep (obviously)

-Bluecoats opener where they double tongue.

-The snare feature right after that in the Bluecoats show.

-Quadraphonic affect in the Bluecoats show

-Ending of the second ballad in the Bluecoats show.

-Drum feature in the Bluecoats show, at the beginning of the closer, with the dance. Awesome.

-Bluecoats contra feature. Jesus save me.

-All of the drum features in the Bluecoats show.

-Final chord of the Bluecoats show. Very powerful.

-And I definitely want to mention this one. I think Mandarins had around 40 in their brassline this year, and they were extremely loud. Louder than PC when I saw them. I was very impressed.

Edit: I put little dashes to make it easier to read, and to correct myself. I guess this does have an order.

Edited by Noname
  • Like 1

I'll answer on behalf of my 3 1/2 year old who, BTW, sat through not one, but 3 nights of drum corps with very few meltdowns (if you have littleones, you know what I mean):

Bluecoats "Boooooooo". (We tried to correct her but.... she's 3 :) )

Are you sure she wasn't looking up towards my perch and expressing her excitement at knowing I was blogging live to a grateful and entranced world? (Hey; we all have our fantasies.)

• Like 2

I had never been a fan of the Cadets' "zipper" move in the closer at the beginning of the season. Felt it took too long to get to, what had been at that time, the big, loud hit that kicked off another classic, frenetic Cadets ending.

Then, mid way through the season, they changed it so that the big hit after the zipper now was a much softer statement that built through a crescendo, and I liked it even less. Not only did I need to sit through what felt like 400 counts of "wind-up", but now the "pitch" was non-existent.

I don't know when or why that changed, but it is now my favorite part of their show, and my favorite moment of 2011.

• Like 1

This one isn't particular to the field performance aspect:

After the semifinals day run through for Troop, the corps circled up and played their new arrangement of Battle Hymn with one of the age outs (not the DM, also an age out) conducting. Even from afar it was a very moving moment.