Favorite Moments of 2011

I had never been a fan of the Cadets' "zipper" move in the closer at the beginning of the season. Felt it took too long to get to, what had been at that time, the big, loud hit that kicked off another classic, frenetic Cadets ending.

Then, mid way through the season, they changed it so that the big hit after the zipper now was a much softer statement that built through a crescendo, and I liked it even less. Not only did I need to sit through what felt like 400 counts of "wind-up", but now the "pitch" was non-existent.

I don't know when or why that changed, but it is now my favorite part of their show, and my favorite moment of 2011.

funny how that works huh... Very strange!

The big hit from Carolina Crown during Bohemian Rhapsody.

The marimba splits and upside down drum major, trumpets, and tenors that the Cavaliers

The Blue Stars closer.

Anytime the audience stood and clapped the last minute or two are definitely the best moments of all time. I felt like the last two minutes of Cadets 2011 was like hitting third base and sprinting for the final home run.

But there are too many others to list. Does 2011 go down as the greatest season of all time? I think so. But it's my opinion, if I'm in the minority, that's fine.

• Like 2

Anytime the audience stood and clapped the last minute or two are definitely the best moments of all time. I felt like the last two minutes of Cadets 2011 was like hitting third base and sprinting for the final home run.

But there are too many others to list. Does 2011 go down as the greatest season of all time? I think so. But it's my opinion, if I'm in the minority, that's fine.

Definitely one of the greatest :)

And I don't think you're in the minority on this one. DCI 2011 will be remembered for years and years to come.

• Like 1

Spirit-- The "film projector" set with the cymbals mimicking the projector lamp and the "dead body chalk outline" set -- pictures are worth 1000 words!

Troopers -- reaffirmed that there are at least two drum corps that aren't afraid to stay put and play really loud for a long time. The Sunburst in the end zone with the traditional flags...Troopers were the only ones to make me get all teary eyed at Allentown.

Crown-- the other corps not afraid to play loud. The one corps that made me want to go to Brazil, get some radical plastic surgery and a forged birth certificate, and go march; those kids got to perform a truly fun show.

• Like 1

Madison - ESOM. Saw that like 4 times and it gave me goosebumps every time.

Bluecoats - Creep, Mr. Flippy-guy

Cavaliers - upside down stuff, Jungle Tango, contras doing that record scratch thing

Academy - visuals at beginning of Lollapalooza

Crown - Herbert

Cadets - Battle scene

Phantom Regiment - I loved the whole show, it's taken time but now that I listen to it I find it's the only show that still gives me goosebumps like three times in every part of the show as opposed to me listening to other shows and only one song really hitting me, of course I love the dead drum major (that's always good).

Blue Devils- Say a Little Prayer

Cadets- Slow motion fight sequence during drum break

Bluecoats- Creep

Crown- Paint it Black

Blue Knights- Drum Feature a la Fife and Drum Corps

Blue Stars- Drum groove in the Bourne music

• Like 1

Cascades(?) box in the middle of the field with the people going in and out, the arms...and such...very wierd, but really effective...

Honorable mention... Colts (?) cymbal line dancing across the back of the field...

those are the two things I remember most about the 2011 shows...believe it or not...

Honestly I will admit my lack of knowledge. I didn't know the song This House is not a Home until my gf told me during finals. At first I hate BD because I didn't get it, now that i know the song, the opener was a favorite of mine. Tenor break for blue stars. Phantom's whole show. Cadets winning. Crown's paint it black. And my girlfriend experiencing her first ever finals.

• Like 3