So no more bad shows?

I didn't put too much thought into it when it was announced a few months ago, but during the Finals broadcast (scores) they discussed how Michael Cesario was now the Artistic Director for DCI, how he worked with all of the corps and that's the reason we had such great shows this season (I'm paraphrasing horribly right now).

Is that a change from now on? Do corps have to get approval through Cesario that their show is entertaining enough? I've gotta say, in recent years there have definitely been a lot of corps that have had one or more less than engaging moments, but I don't believe that was the case in 2011 at all. I didn't make it to any live shows this season, but everything I saw online, start to finish, was awesome. Every single corps! Is this what we can expect in the future, because if so I think Cesario might have put drum corps on one really awesome path!

I'm sure the designers, staff, directors and members of the corps had a whole lot more to do with it than Mr. Cesario. I hope they didn't make it sound like he is some oracle brought on to earth to give enlightenment to the masses.

No disrespect to Mr. Cesario, but these people know what they are doing and how to do it in a way that best suits their respective corps. It bothers me that people are starting to think he is the reason behind the work of so many people.

• Like 4

So exactly what did he do other than read DCP and take peoples opinions, ball them up into a nice neat package called " we need more entertainment" ?

Cesario does not have control over the corps' show design. He's a consultant encouraging the designers to focus on connecting with the audience, and I assume he's also challenging them to justify certain decisions. I think that role is valuable in that Cesario can talk the designers' language and make sure they are considering an outside view. It's easy to get so wrapped up in your creative process that you don't always give what you come up with a critical viewing, so if that's what Cesario has done this year he was wildly successful and I hope he continues in this role for a little longer.

An episode of the Marching Roundtable podcast had a two part interview with Michael before the season. I recommend checking that out if you're interested in what his role was supposed to be.

• Like 3

So exactly what did he do other than read DCP and take peoples opinions, ball them up into a nice neat package called " we need more entertainment" ?

If that's all it took, awesome! All I know is, he needs to do it again, turned up to 11.

• Like 2

Sometimes an outside voice is really needed to shake people out of their routines and make them think from a different perspective. Many of these staffs have been together years, if not decades and that has to lead to some staleness and hesitancy to try new challenges on occasion. I think he definitely helped to clarify styles and identities and probably asked hard questions that stopped them in their tracks at times. There were a bits that I noticed for sure:

Cadets were discussing some show about dance movement or something (including Robert Palmer music!) early on. That didn't have me very excited and sounded like it could be too light and overly contrived. Suddenly that was all dropped and they went with Angels in the Architecture instead, featuring totally classic Cadets, much more serious stuff. I'm sure the staff came up with all that, but he probably also helped remind them what people love about the Cadets, and what has been absent for a while.

Spirt of Atlanta - this show was probably the first one they've done in years and years that didn't seem to be searching for a style. It really suited them.

Crown - Bohemian Rhapsody. Total highlight from their past re-imagined. Some clarity after the previous year's confusing effort.

I was skeptical of his position when it was announced, as he is as much a part of the closed-loop system as most of the longtime designers, but he has to have stirred the pot enough to get some of these shows (and the distinctive differences between them) on the right path.

For years it has been easy to say, "they all look the same." Not this year! Total variety.

I find it interesting that when MC was the actual program coordinator and designer for the Scouts, just a few short years ago, many folks on here were complaining about his work.

Now many are singing praises for his work.

I'm not sure your criticism here is completely fair. When MC was program coordinator at Scouts, he oversaw a show designed to do well on the sheets under the (then) current competitive climate. Say what you want about Mr. Cesario, he is an artist who understands entertainment. He was hired by DCI to help all corps focus better in that area. I suspect he had varying degrees of resistance from some corps, but ultimately, he got the job done.

And this is only Year One. Think what Mr. Cesario and the corps can do in Year Two, now that they've all seen how receptive the audience was. I suspect we haven't seen anything yet, and 2012 will be even better.

I'm not sure your criticism here is completely fair. When MC was program coordinator at Scouts, he oversaw a show designed to do well on the sheets under the (then) current competitive climate. Say what you want about Mr. Cesario, he is an artist who understands entertainment. He was hired by DCI to help all corps focus better in that area. I suspect he had varying degrees of resistance from some corps, but ultimately, he got the job done.

And this is only Year One. Think what Mr. Cesario and the corps can do in Year Two, now that they've all seen how receptive the audience was. I suspect we haven't seen anything yet, and 2012 will be even better.

Where did you find any criticism of MC on my post? I happen to have been a big fan of the Scouts when he was there. (and still am today)

My criticism is directed more to those who found fault with him then.

And, FWIW, the sheets were the same then I believe.