Make Finals outdoors, PLEASE!

With the stadium setup that DCI (and ISSMA, for that matter) uses, the roof cannot just be opened in 10 minutes during INT's show. With the amount of dampening material (read: curtains) that we are using in the stadium, much of that must be removed in order for LOS to open the roof. Then you get into issues with many many different obstacles, such as the obvious sound dampening, air conditioning and cooling, lighting, and even who hangs the drapes back up once the roof is decided to be closed again.

So lay the drapes across the seats exactly as they do along the sides if they're planning to open it (it's not going to rain anyway when they plan to open it, right?). Sure, it won't look like WGI with a solid black wall and be all pretty for the Blu-Ray, but it will create a similar acoustic dampening effect. There. Curtain issue solved. And as a BONUS: Nobody needs to hang up any drapes after everything is done.

Other obstacles... lighting? Like what? Sunlight and daylight take charge, and then Tom Blair adjusts and deals with the same conditions we have for 35 some odd years. For night shows, use the same lighting setup as the Colts do. It works for them, and it's production grade lighting made for National TV.

Air conditioning? It still works for the interior areas of Lucas, so use it. There isn't just one big honkin' ACU despite popular belief that this stadium truly was built by rednecks, rather it's a zoned climate within and all around the different areas of the stadium. Therefore, this should not be a problem at all. Turn it off for the outdoor portion, save some $$$ (perhaps saving as much as you would by the expense, whatever that is, to open the roof in the first place!).

IMcom, I've spoken with Glassmen and Tom Blair people about that rehearsal day they had in 2010 with the roof open, and by all accounts, it was WONDERFUL. But, it seems there are likely too many obstacles in the way that are going to prevent having a full show day with the roof open, sadly.

This makes me even more confident that this would be an outstanding thing. I'm sure Tom Blair would have no issue with it being open, and even moreso, the fans who would benefit tremendously from it in terms of the experience and sound.

Just do it.

• Like 1

I'm a purist. I want outdoor drum corps. But Boo and the other 'get over it' commentators are correct: the season must end on the Saturday night, and the only way to insure that is a domed stadium...

I would love for the World Championships to be outside in perfect weather as they were in Bloomington. But that is so very risky, especially considering the inability to have a rain date, to which I referred earlier and you concurred.

However, I personally would never tell anyone to "get over it." Everyone is as entitled to their hopes and dreams as much as I am. But I do encourage them to accept the reality that it may not happen, because life is more fun when we don't live in a state of regret and agitation.

By the way, some may remember that we were deeply concerned about having to move out of Bloomington shortly after having the shows rescheduled for there. That's because of the sinkhole that opened up at the goal line after three days of solid rain. Three days of solid rain anywhere where we might be in an open stadium would kill the championships. Granted, even with an enclosed stadium, it wouldn't be much fun for the fans to get to a stadium and get inside. But being that as fans, we're ultimately more concerned about the corps getting everything in order even more than ourselves, it would be a major bummer. But at least the show would go on, even if corps have challenges getting in rehearsals and whatnot.

At least at Lucas Oil Stadium, the parking is paved (unlike much of Orlando's Citrus Bowl) and once all are inside, the sun (lights) shine bright and the cloudless sky (roof) covers us in tranquility so we can enjoy the corps on the field; but more importantly, so the members of the corps can do what they invested their entire past year in preparing to do.

if it stays inside, Ithink one smart thing DCI could do is reduce prices for seats outside the optimal listening areas.

I know in 2010 I saton the 39, and sound sucked. stuff coming out of the amps was lost ( tho thatcould be a positivefor some corps).

it is an AUDIO/visual activity, and I think paying that much to not be able to hear everything is kind of a rip off

<Lastly: I live in Indy. And I think the lack of trying to make it right, sucks. >

I would not argue that DCI has been misled...but it is unfair to say they've not tried to make it right. I'm not a member of DCI's board...I have not connection to management of this fine organization at all...but it's apparent they've worked to make things better in so far as they can.

I'm a purist. I want outdoor drum corps. But Boo and the other 'get over it' commentators are correct: the season must end on the Saturday night, and the only way to insure that is a domed stadium. LOS design and logistics prevent opening the roof...so all 3 final shows are domed shows...which, for the members, is ideal (similarity...no wind...predictable, if not ideal, conditions...).

I attended Quarters 4 years ago, in Bloomington, thinking it would be my last trip to nationals...ever...so convinced I was that drum corps in a dome would never work. But the people who's opinions I respect are reporting that it's a vastly improved product. I should have had more faith. But I'll have to settle for being a latecomer to reality.

For the purists...Allentown DCI East is likely to remain a very close to the end of the season event...and it's outdoors. I was there this year and will attest that it was great fun, despite the rain! A great choice for outdoor purists.

I have to be honest...

we survived how many years without freak storms at finals???

maybe it's Indy thats the weather issue. like Orlando was.

I've been to manyfinals, and only one had rain finals night,...Jackson MS. Boston in 94 had issues at quarters cause it was real grass. so was Orlando.

all those other sites I went to...no issues other than Indy, Jackson, and Orlando.

I think I see a trend here

Indy apparently isnt going anywhere for a long time, unfortunately.

What I would like to see is some more movement in the regional dates. We've got a great outdoor venue in the Minneapolis regional, lets get that the week before finals at least once every few years. Gives outdoor drum corps fans a big show they can hit at almost the end of the season in what might be (imho) one of the best venues DCI has (Stanford would be right up there as well.. but getting everyone to the west coast is costly).

I would gladly pay finals pricing for that show if it was a week before finals. And yes, im sure some wont like this (bring on the downvotes), and i understand the history of the place, but i'm sorry, DCI's final seeding event should not be a 2 day show, at a high school stadium. It should be a 1 day show at a major college or nfl stadium.

Edited by AlexL
  • Like 1

To the "just get over it, crowd." I just wanna say that I will always be a big fan of drum corps AND I will always voice concern over things that can be improved. I'm not someone to just accept the status quo. So, if finals week next year is all indoors with not even a discussion or explanation as to why, guess who'll be starting a similar topic next year. Thank you, Michael Boo, for your words that everyone's opinion is valid. As I have said on another post, I think these types of discussions are good for drum corps. I hope they come up in the Rules Congress in December this year.

Indy apparently isnt going anywhere for a long time, unfortunately.

What I would like to see is some more movement in the regional dates. We've got a great outdoor venue in the Minneapolis regional, lets get that the week before finals at least once every few years. Gives outdoor drum corps fans a big show they can hit at almost the end of the season in what might be (imho) one of the best venues DCI has (Stanford would be right up there as well.. but getting everyone to the west coast is costly).

I would gladly pay finals pricing for that show if it was a week before finals. And yes, im sure some wont like this (bring on the downvotes), and i understand the history of the place, but i'm sorry, DCI's final seeding event should not be a 2 day show, at a high school stadium. It should be a 1 day show at a major college or nfl stadium.

Minneapolis was a great regional, BUT it was too dang HOT!!!!

...I about passed out several times, even AFTER the sun went behind the skyscrapers!

HOT & HUMID!!!!!

When show after show is out in the hot sun with humidity around 80% (or more) it is GREAT to have a cushy seat in the LOS.......in air conditioned comfort!!!! I'm not sure I could have lived thru one more weekend of the heat this year.

And, don't start with me that the kids in the corps have to perform out there in that same sun/heat/humidity. They don't spend hours cooped up sitting on an aluminum rail with people squished in beside you, with the sun blazing down, little air movement (eventho the guard's flags are flapping on field level) and humidity almost thick enough to drink. The kids are on and off in just a few minutes while we get burnt and dehydrated watching.....and loving every minute of it for the most part.

Give me a soft seat, arm rests, leg room, food choices, plenty of restrooms and AIR CONITIONING at Finals - I need it.....but it was almost too cold at times at Finals this year......

Minneapolis was a great regional, BUT it was too dang HOT!!!!

...I about passed out several times, even AFTER the sun went behind the skyscrapers!

HOT & HUMID!!!!!

In one of the hottest stretches the midwest has seen in a long time. Any outdoor venue can get hot, especially if its an all-day show, but id rather deal with some heat than deal with crappy sound.

I definitely got every penny's worth of the extra i put down for the club level seats though. Being able to go back inside for AC was amazing that day.

Edited by AlexL