Make Finals outdoors, PLEASE!

Well as one who's behind was pretty chapped after 2009, I have to contribute something.

1) They did change the prices of the seats so that the crappy ones I got the first year were no longer super-premium.

2) The seats I got this time were a much better view and the sound was pretty good. There were still echos and the softer parts got muddled but there weren't that many. I got the impression that the additional curtains and baffling were an improvement.

3) DCI is not going to try to get out of their contract for a few gripes from DCP'ers.

4) Finals attendance was up. Maybe this was because of the season, but I bought my tickets almost a year in advance so that didn't draw me in. Perhaps that could account for a 10% increase. The drastic number of fans that folks on here predicted wouldn't go didn't play out. This was year 3. Are we really convinced that loyal fans went for 3 years but will quit after their "awful disappointment" this year?

5) I went to the July Houston TOC show and the heat sucked. I'm not a whiner and live in Baton Rouge so I'm used to it but the heat in the stadium and discomfort were at least as much of a distraction as was the echo at LOS.

6) The chance of rain at an outdoor finals is so much higher than the chance of an earthquake in California so I can't believe that is even brought up as an argument against a dome.

7) Took 2 newbies this year that loved it and want to go back. 2 additional friends bought last minute seats and plan to go again. So I just tripled attendance figures in my circle.

8) I prefer outdoor too but it ain't gonna happen.

Peace

Edited by Wadep66
  • Like 2

Well as one who's behind was pretty chapped after 2009, I have to contribute something.

6) The chance of rain at an outdoor finals is so much higher than the chance of an earthquake in California so I can't believe that is even brought up as an argument against a dome.

Well when your desperate to make a argument I guess any old thing will do.

Maybe you know, then, whether the roof has ever been opened for any of the fall marching band contests held in LOS (ISSMA or BOA). If so, how did it work out? If not, why haven't they?

Ummmm, because they're all in November, and by then it's 30-40 degrees out in Indiana. That is a completely different time of year.

And when you say "Fall", there are NO September or even October shows there now, unless ISSMA is on the very last day or two of it. There may be an exception for an October show next year when the stadium has to be made available later for ISSMA State Finals (week before BOA GN's), and hence the Indy Regional will be moved to mid-October.

I am not sure if you where there or not, but it would not have been a bit more then a 'rain delay'. Even discounting the considerable wind and lightning, it poured hard for at least good quarter of Finals, and we got drowned apon leaving the Oil Can and heading over to Basey's (Crown & Star alum base) during retreat. It rained on and off for hours. It wasn't some kind of deluge then the suns out and all is well kind of thing like Orlando. It might not of rained the show out, but it would have been a long, miserable, and considerably delayed Finals. The roof saved the Finals experience for both the performers and the audience.

It doesn't matter that it rained. The argument is for opening the roof WHEN IT DOES NOT rain out.

Yes, LOS saved us from a little bit of rain last weekend. Big deal. The point is, when it doesn't rain (and more often than not it DOES NOT rain in Indiana during this time of year), then why not open it?

Nobody is complaining that they didn't open the roof on Saturday. Sheesh.

Or.... we could just move Finals around like we used to and solve this entire thing.

I found that issue even more difficult that the acoustics. But put them together, and I don't need to return.

Yes, the stadium is extremely comfortable. Yes, climate control is nice. Yes, parking is easy. Yes, the stadium staff are great. Yes, to every nice aspect that's been noted here. But I'll happily take the heat and elements in exchange for better viewing and sound.

I'm hoping something happens and the contract with LOS is broken. I'll return as soon as we're back outside.

I feel the same way you do. If DCI didn't have me hook, line, and sinker every summer (plus I live here), I'd be right with you.

DCI cannot be all things to all people.

For those prices, they #### sure should try

• Like 1

It doesn't matter that it rained. The argument is for opening the roof WHEN IT DOES NOT rain out.

Yes, LOS saved us from a little bit of rain last weekend. Big deal. The point is, when it doesn't rain (and more often than not it DOES NOT rain in Indiana during this time of year), then why not open it?

Nobody is complaining that they didn't open the roof on Saturday. Sheesh.

Or.... we could just move Finals around like we used to and solve this entire thing.

Yes, it is a big deal.

If the corps directors wanted the roof to be open, I suspect it would be open. Has anyone asked a corps director why there hasn't been a groundswell amongst themselves to open the roof?

It's been mentioned elsewhere this week how wind would mess with the black fabric put up for sound muffling.

• Like 2

There are two many +'s and only one minus that I can see about having shows in the dome.

Add them up and it makes sense for DCI to hold championships in Indy in the dome.

One minus. Kinda large one.

Sound

• Like 2

Well when your desperate to make a argument I guess any old thing will do.

Hahahaha. Classic from you Ed.

Notice you ignored the post after mine talking about outdoor sporting events.

Ya couldn't refute that so skip it right?

• Like 1

Yes, it is a big deal.

If the corps directors wanted the roof to be open, I suspect it would be open. Has anyone asked a corps director why there hasn't been a groundswell amongst themselves to open the roof?

It's been mentioned elsewhere this week how wind would mess with the black fabric put up for sound muffling.

I asked two. One blamed dci, one blamed los management