Make Finals outdoors, PLEASE!

When I asked around other members of my corps after semis we pretty much all agreed that we love it in LoS. (roof closed please).

Awesome...Nice and cool....kick back and relax...and sound terrible.

• Like 1

Uh oh, guess I should have paid more attention. Maybe we were too busy enjoying how awesome the air conditioning is :tongue:

I notice just as bad of an echo on Allentown's field as I do in the domes.

Allentown since the remodel does have a weird dynamic when a corps plays backfield.

Hey, if you bought a ticket, your opinion really doesn't matter. You spoke with your wallet. The only way to make an impact is to not attend and let DCI know you aren't attending. Until then, you still paid. Your ticket means as much as the high school freshman next to you who loved every minute of this crazy summer marching band thing he was dragged to. That's the truth. Your ticket means as much as theirs.

I did buy a ticket in 2010. I did not in 2011.

And it's good that those corps are there to provide solid life lessons in a competitive, healthy environment to the you-

Oh wait.

you think life lessons arent taught in DCA?

Seems to me you don't really know a lot about DCA

• Like 1

If you don't do it, people will call you names?

To me, that sounds exactly like peer pressure. :blink:

Now what did we learn about peer pressure in grade school, Jeff? :tongue:

ha. i'll call you when Star Search is looking for a comedian.

But you do see it, in here, and in other areas. Those who refuse to go are "hurting the kids"

Thank you. But if you read my first reply (#5) to the original post, which was about the roof being open and not the sound beyond a certain yard line, you'll see I was primarily talking about the need to not have a rain delay date in the event of a rainout. You tried turning the intent of the thread to something about the sound where people sit.

And then in post #32 I mentioned I would never tell anyone to "get over it." And I mean that even for you, despite you taking Splooie89's comments about the curtains, the weather potential and the stadium volume and putting words in his mouth by stating, "so in other words, pay $125 for ###### sound and like it."

You keep coming back to comments like, "let's take the 3 biggest venues we have, and then have to change everything just for them as opposed to the other 30 shows we do. " and "95% of the shows are outside," not answering the statements put out about why we can no longer have a rain delay date…which is interesting only that in post #89 you tell camel lips, "Notice you ignored the post after mine talking about outdoor sporting events. Ya couldn't refute that so skip it right?"

You mentioned in post #147, "I have the luxury of teaching with two kids who just performed in there. They hated it." I'm still waiting for you to tell MDBaritone (post#222) that they and their corps mates must have missed something to be able to comment after Semifinals that they "pretty much all agreed that we love it in LOS. (roof closed please.)" They even went on to mention they "notice just as bad an echo on Allentown's field as I do in the domes." I trust you won't advocate we move out of Allentown to a stadium that doesn't have that effect. ☺

So we're back to what I didn't write and what you did write. Apparently, this is one issue we will not agree upon. But I love you none-the-less.

when did we ever have a rain delay date Mike? We didn't in Jackson. We didnt in Buffalo when it sprinkled before finals in 90. We didn't in Boston when it poured on quarters.

I'm glad the kids love it for those that do. But you do have to admit if you are charging PREMIUM prices for an AUDIO/visual activity, and the sound is less than PREMIUM to many of those in the audience, it's a little bit of highway robbery.

when did we ever have a rain delay date Mike? We didn't in Jackson. We didnt in Buffalo when it sprinkled before finals in 90. We didn't in Boston when it poured on quarters.

I'm glad the kids love it for those that do. But you do have to admit if you are charging PREMIUM prices for an AUDIO/visual activity, and the sound is less than PREMIUM to many of those in the audience, it's a little bit of highway robbery.

guess im one of the few who wasnt bothered at all by sound quality and was a great night and comfortable..o well..lol

Jeff: There used to be rainout dates through the 1970s and 1980s, which were the day after the scheduled Finals. (I don't know what would have been done in 1977 when the American Legion had Mile High Stadium sewed up the next night...probably would have had it in the afternoon, just as I was told by then Contest Director Bob Briske how the rain delay dates would work had they been needed.) The thing is, we never needed to USE the rain delay because it never rained so hard for the entire Finals that we had to reschedule it.

It started to rain in Jackson during the PBS break and also poured on Madison Scouts, but then the storm abated and we went right on with things. Buffalo didn't rain out the show, either. The year we had Quarterfinals rained out halfway through they just went ahead and slotted the corps into the next day based on the way they came into the show. I keep talking about Finals. I don't know why you bring in Quarterfinals, when we still had a couple days to get it done. But a rainout on Finals, as I've mentioned more than once in this thread, would be disastrous today with just about everyone flying out the next day.

So, you are correct: We never needed to use a rain delay (for Finals), for which we should be grateful. And if we needed one now, well...we couldn't.

Highway robbery? Really? Really? The law of supply and demand sets the prices for anything in a capitalistic society. There seems to have been no lack of people willing to pay for the seats they wanted. I guess DCI could substantially reduce prices and sell those seats that were already being sold at the higher price and have less money to pass on to the corps.

Have you heard what the SuperBowl seats are going for? To me it would be highway robbery because I don't have an interest in football. But to someone who lives for football and really wants to attend the game, they know that if they don't buy a good seat when (and if) they have a chance, someone else will.

And again, my posts (until you kept trying to change the subject) were about the need for us to avoid being rained out. You kept trying to drag me into an argument about sound past a certain yard line. And I reiterate that if there is a rainout so severe we can't hold Finals somewhere, there will be no sound on any yard lines.

guess im one of the few who wasnt bothered at all by sound quality and was a great night and comfortable..o well..lol

That's funny...I don't remember you sitting next to me. I'm the only one who was comfortable and had great sound and a great night. :rolleyes:

The catered French buffet and Porta-Potty on my platform meant I didn't have to leave my perch to go anywhere. Combined with my Barcalounger, I was living in the lap of luxury. The masseuse DCI supplied me for the gaps between the corps also kept my spirits in top form. Oh, and let's not forget the French buffet included lots and lots of cheese...but that's a given.

I know...you must be the alter-ego of one of my co-bloggers!

• Like 1

you think life lessons arent taught in DCA?

Seems to me you don't really know a lot about DCA

Weird I just thought about this on the way to work.... Had a "less than wonderful" meeting with an upper level manager who tries to lead thru intimidation. Of the group only two of us didn't blink an eye when he went off on a tirade. Other person knew him from before and knew how to handle him.

As for me... well it was easier than dealing then being a teenager and having certain drill instructors flipping out when the drill doesn't work and time is tight.

RT: "#### #### #### You guys look like you don't know what you're doing!" <screaming>

me: "That's what I tried to tell you earlier... we DON'T!".

RT: "Well you should have yelled at me, then I would have listened!"

That was our usual guy, then we had the "hired gun" who was probably in his 50s and had taught some top corps. Ran a piece of drill and our group of 6-8 was off by a good bit when we stopped. First lady (one who was leading us) just takes off and runs to the correct spot and it looked like I ####ed up. He comes over, chews her out royally then comes to me and all I can't think of is "Don't try to BS this".

DI: "WHAT HAPPENED!?!?!"

me: "Beats the #### out of me Ralph".

DI: <after doing a double take and blinking twice> "Me either... we'll run it again and I'll be right here watching."

me: "Good, thanks".

DI: <more blinking in shock>

Life lesson: Bag personalities and personal wants... work together to get the #### job done right.

Edited by JimF-LowBari