Make Finals outdoors, PLEASE!

Thank you. Sometimes it takes someone who's been there to relate. I appreciate your comments.

You're welcome. I salute you, Kevin and anyone else who gets this done for us. I don't know how you do it! :worthy:

Jeff, how about if I come and sit in your lap? That way I can best ascertain the experience exactly as you do. Sitting anywhere else would throw off the acoustic bouncing around of the sound waves. So, start building up your leg muscles, big boy. I don't want to flatten you.

you better get a big ### ethernet cord.

Look, I review for DCW...just taking notes is hard.

but to tell me because your prime location is good ergo all are, is wrong.

I sat on the 39 last year. Sound was not as good as it was when I wandered over between the 40's. with corps angling amps in, you did lose sounds...hell, the Cavies mic'd trio was in front of me and I could not hear them.

I know people who sat further out and/or up, and they will tell you, and have said here, if you're out of the sections outside of the 40's, forget it. You're paying $125 TO $75 for less than good sound.

Be carefull, Jeff might enjoy it!

sorry. he eats too much cheese. I'll bring nose plugs

Oh, I'm counting on that. :w00t: Once you go Boo, you'll never go back. :thumbup:

I've seen you blow into a garden hose. That was more than enough

#3....that makes them sails....you (may)have no idea how much load a sheet that size can generate in a 10 mph breeze.

true. so apply multiple points of being tied down

Did I write ANYWHERE that all seats were as good as mine, or that because mine was good, all had to be good? NO. I did mention that I had great sound where I sat. You added the rest.

PS: I just went back and reread every comment I made in this thread, and what I stated above is accurate.

Edited by Michael Boo

IM - I'd LOVE to experience a show with the roof/window open. I agree that it'd be awesome. An early/mid season show would be great. I just don't think it's practical during Finals week due to previously stated plethora of reasons. (Do you know what a 'plethora' is, Jeffe? Yes, I do, el Guapo!)

Boo - Very little breeze inside, building tends to stifle that, but a little bit would go a long way with curtains and gusts would have very uncool results. As stated in review from Friday, it wasn't particularly hot Friday evening, but it got very muggy very quickly. I imagine it could be a wind tunnel if stronger continuous winds from the North (window), but haven't felt much more than a nice breeze when it's been open in the past.

Last year the roof/window was never open for any of the Colts games, but was open for 4-5 games the year prior. Just luck of the weather.

Point raised in a post: for all of the talk about sound, as a guard person for many, many years, the prospect of LOS versus wind, heat, sun in your eyes during tosses makes for some very attractive conditions, especially in light of all the stuff the guards are now attempting and how critical they are to the total package. I know they deal with it all summer, but that doesn't mean it's not a joy to perform in ideal conditions.

I'm racking my brain ... have I ever played in a dome? I no-a think-so.

Does the dome cause a confusing echo? I remember some stadiums where you're playing and because of the bleacher design, there's a small radio playing your show (but about 1 second behind) in your ear. The staff would usually warn us. Clay bleachers and crater-like stadiums OR stadiums that have a 10 foot high wall separating track and bleachers, are frequent culprits

That's sound bouncing off the front bleachers - ricocheting to the "away-side" bleachers and THEN to your ears. A frequent culprit of front to back phasing if, say, the low brass is back-field and thinks this false "radio-beat" is the real beat and starts following it. At 120bpm (basic march tempo) that's a half-note tear! At Z-Pull, Spin-Cycle, Avalance, Jazz-running speeds, that could be a whole measure.

I have seen this effect throw off even the most elite corps, especially early season.

Does the dome cause a similar ricochet effect? Particularly the one in Indy?

I do recall plenty of indoor standstill shows .... The Loudest Show on Earth for ex ... I do not remember it being an issue, but then again that's standstill.

I sat on the 39 last year. Sound was not as good as it was when I wandered over between the 40's. with corps angling amps in, you did lose sounds...hell, the Cavies mic'd trio was in front of me and I could not hear them.

I know people who sat further out and/or up, and they will tell you, and have said here, if you're out of the sections outside of the 40's, forget it. You're paying $125 TO $75 for less than good sound.

And that's where, if it's not good, you went wrong.