Make Finals outdoors, PLEASE!

I don't use my DCI pass in order to have great seats; I use it so I can sit behind a table connected to an Ethernet cable and blog all three shows on DCI.org with my laptop, with my research materials on the table for quick review. It's not like I'm just sitting on my butt enjoying great sound; I've got a job to do and I do it.

.....and you do it so well! and if you ever need an assistant to help you, I will send you my home address where my DCI pass can be sent in the mail. I will load my laptop up and learn from you oh grand wizard of the liner notes!

.....and you do it so well! and if you ever need an assistant to help you, I will send you my home address where my DCI pass can be sent in the mail. I will load my laptop up and learn from you oh grand wizard of the liner notes!

You may have to get in line behind Jeff. But you use the shift key, so that gives you a leg up. :shutup:

I was in the stadium last night for the Colts pre-season game (if you can call it a game...more like a tailgate party and a football game broke out). Anyway, I was surprised that they opened the roof and window, but they did. I sent the pictures to Mike Boo....and the sunlight thing was just an observation, not a complaint or obstacle. The look of the place, view of skyline when the window is open is amazing, but I have to say that when you see it all lit up by daylight so shortly after DCI with all the black curtains you realize what a quasi-theater effect the curtains create and really do equalize the experience of each of the corps no matter what time of day they go on. With darkness about 9:45 PM right now due to Indy being on the western edge of the Eastern time zone, that means only about the last 5 corps would get to perform after dark. Not promoting, just discussing interesting facts.

The weather when they opened it was comparable to last Thursday....81 degrees, but a little more humid. Some clouds came in and maybe a slight drizzle. The NFL ref (per Indianapolis Star article this morning) demanded twice that they close the roof, then held the game till it was completed. They closed the side window prior to half-time, so it was open for about 2 hours. You guys ought to go to NFLPlanet.com and tell them their refs are wimps!

Factual observations from being in an almost identical situation, which was in a suite on concert side:

- air-conditioning stayed on in suite areas, restrooms, etc.

- Stadium became noticeably warmer and more stuffy within about an hour after they opened the roof.

- Conditions improved quickly once the roof/window were closed, but we were also only looking at a 5-7 degree difference. The humidity seemed to be a bigger factor.

- Time from walking out of suite, down elevator, out of stadium to car or potentially to bar with beer in hand...7 minutes.

I think everyone would LOVE to have the window and roof open..it'd be a great experience. I'm lucky to get to enjoy that. I hope that these observations are interesting to some of you. The rest are just anti-(insert list here) and will think I'm just wrong. Whatever....still think the total pros/cons were weighed by a collection of pretty smart people, including stadium/DCI/public safety/ICVA officials as well as the member corps of DCI themselves and they made/make the best decisions possible. From the feedback I've seen from most that attended and commented here, they had a pretty great time and enjoyed some great drum corps. See you next August.

I am surprised the Colts organization and ICVB let it open to begin with considering there was a 30% chance of rain for the entire evening... but it shows it can be done without overreacting about the potential elements.

I am assuming the ref acted on instruction from the stadium officials regarding the rain, not his own call. I can give you many examples of terrible journalism from the Indy Star, so that does not surprise me that they made it sound like he was really in charge. NFL refs work in rain, snow, cold, and everything else, and games are not delayed/cancelled in the NFL due to rain at an outside stadium. So the ref obviously was acting on instruction from elsewhere.

Sounds like you enjoyed the stadium, and would too enjoy having it opened for a day or two when DCI Finals is in town (when NOT raining, obviously).

Thanks for the review!!

Edited by IMcomguy

It would be nice if we could have an early season DCI contest at Lucas Oil with the roof open. Have all Midwest corps come that are in close proximity to Indy - Blue Stars,, Madison, Cavies, PR, Glassmen, Bluecoats. This would not be anyone's final show of the season. I feel there is a need to experience what a drum corps contest would be like at least once with the roof and side window open. We need to end the speculation of what it would sound and look like.

We could even have two shows that day. Show number one, roof open - then have an intermission or dinner break and repeat the show with the roof closed. I would bet all the corps would like getting an early season view of their show from LoS as well. It would be a nice opening of the Drum Corps season event. I bet a lot of people would come to see what it would be like. Maybe even sell $10.00 tickets to high school bands to try to fill the place up as much as possible. I know I would be there.

Edited by Turnadot
  • Like 1

Sorry if this is a repeat, but.................

I asked a DCI official during the tour of Lucas oil Stadium about the issue of opening the roof or at least the endzones. This is what I was told.

#1. They want each corps to be judged equally and are afraid that some of the earlier corps would have to deal with sun and shadows that late appearing corps would not.

#2. Since there was a threat of rain, they didn't want to take a chance. The floor/field of Lucas Oil Stadium DOES NOT DRAIN WELL AT ALL! It was not meant to take on heavy rain.

#3. There seems to be a concern about the black curtains used as a back drop and in the upper deck end zones. If the rood was open, or the end zones, they might start "flying" in the wind causing a distraction.

#4. The first year, there was an issue with the NFL controlling when and if the roof is opened since this is an NFL stadium (not owned by them, but under some sort of an agreement). The person I spoke with said they had resolved this issue and it does not apply anymore.

That is what I was told...............

For me I am glad it is at Lucas Oil Stadium. We never have to worry about a rain delay or rain out. That is a concern for those of us traveling far distances to see the competition. Having attended DCI competitions in other indoor stadiums, I have to say that Lucas Oil is by far the best for sound. I attend the DCI Southeastern every year in the Georgia Dome and the sound in there is terrible compared to Lucas Oil. The Alamo Dome is on the same par as the GaDome.

I also like the fact at Lucas Oil Stadium you do not have to put up with noise from the concession area. The GaDome is HORRIBLE with this issue.

Just my thoughts

Edited by BigMo
  • Like 3

I don't use my DCI pass in order to have great seats; I use it so I can sit behind a table connected to an Ethernet cable and blog all three shows on DCI.org with my laptop, with my research materials on the table for quick review. It's not like I'm just sitting on my butt enjoying great sound; I've got a job to do and I do it.

well I suggest maybe next year, you let someone guest blog for a corps or two, then go down to 242 or 243 and tell me the sound is optimal for the ticket price.

Sorry if this is a repeat, but.................

I asked a DCI official during the tour of Lucas oil Stadium about the issue of opening the roof or at least the endzones. This is what I was told.

#1. They want each corps to be judged equally and are afraid that some of the earlier corps would have to deal with sun and shadows that late appearing corps would not.

#2. Since there was a threat of rain, they didn't want to take a chance. The floor/field of Lucas Oil Stadium DOES NOT DRAIN WELL AT ALL! It was not meant to take on heavy rain.

#3. There seems to be a concern about the black curtains used as a back drop and in the upper deck end zones. If the rood was open, or the end zones, they might start "flying" in the wind causing a distraction.

#4. The first year, there was an issue with the NFL controlling when and if the roof is opened since this is an NFL stadium (not owned by them, but under some sort of an agreement). The person I spoke with said they had resolved this issue and it does not apply anymore.

That is what I was told...............

For me I am glad it is at Lucas Oil Stadium. We never have to worry about a rain delay or rain out. That is a concern for those of us traveling far distances to see the competition. Having attended DCI competitions in other indoor stadiums, I have to say that Lucas Oil is by far the best for sound. I attend the DCI Southeastern every year in the Georgia Dome and the sound in there is terrible compared to Lucas Oil. The Alamo Dome is on the same par as the GaDome.

I also like the fact at Lucas Oil Stadium you do not have to put up with noise from the concession area. The GaDome is HORRIBLE with this issue.

Just my thoughts

#1...happens at regular season shows all summer long. lame excuse

#2 makes sense Saturday. Not Thursday or Friday

#3 tie em down.

well I suggest maybe next year, you let someone guest blog for a corps or two, then go down to 242 or 243 and tell me the sound is optimal for the ticket price.

How do you suggest I pick the corps that aren't worth my time and efforts to blog about?

From what I've been told, opening the roof takes a long time. They also have to turn off the AC or else they're just wasting money. And finally, from what I've heard, that dome turns into a wind tunnel when opened and if that's true that would a CG nightmare! But I like it there even though I was a bit worried about the sound since it would be my first time in the dome spectating but I thoroughly enjoyed myself there this season

How do you suggest I pick the corps that aren't worth my time and efforts to blog about?

If you can get someone willing, go when they can do it. Dca runs guest bloggers in and out all weekend