Future of On-Site DCP Posters

Oh my...major syntax tear...thank goodness you can't get docked points for sloppy electronics

Get a voice recorder and put your thoughts on audio so you can collate your what you want to post later

You can talk very quietly into one and still here everything on playback so you shouldn't bother other fans

It's...got...me...must...resist...temptation...oh...so...hard...to...resist.........aaarrrrgggghhhh

• Like 1

Get a voice recorder and put your thoughts on audio so you can collate your what you want to post later

You can talk very quietly into one and still here everything on playback so you shouldn't bother other fans

:shutup: I hope you mean talk very quietly into the recorder between shows and not during shows. Are you so lucky as to never have been seated near someone who thought he was "just talking quietly" to his seat neighbor or into a cell phone throughout a show?? :shutup:

This is one key reason they don't put GE judges in the middle of the stands. Yes, the judging perspective would be more valid than in a booth but since judges can't shut up and just watch the show, they will be seriously disturbing other people who paid to do so.

but I stopped doing that about half way through the season. Why?

First, because the 'spelling & grammar police' rip you to shreds each time you misspell a word!

I was looking for your posts from shows earlier this summer to see just how bad it was, but couldn't find any. Was it so bad you took down the posts?

Actually, though, it strikes me that most of the "grammar cop" posts here are made at least half in jest, unless the corrector makes his own mistake, in which case he's going to get pounded. :thumbup:

Like it or not, and especially when you're a faceless few lines of type on the Internet, it's human nature to let the appearance of a post influence the assessment of the contents. All the big browsers except for IE have a spelling checker, and there are add-ons for IE. They won't find things like "loose" for "lose," which is my pet peeve, but they'll catch a lot of things.

Depending on your phone's OS, it may have a predictive text program that can help make sure you're getting the correct spelling in.

Or not. :w00t: That function has been a major embarrassment to me, and there are some sites that have a whole bunch of "autocorrect funnies," ranging from the mildly humorous to the howlingly obscene. But automatically inserting apostophes in contractions slightly outweighs the other PITA elements for me, so I leave it on.

Being anonymous helps shield you from other anonymous posters but having a thick skin helps too

suggestion, show threads moved to review branch and the plus minus ratings turned off there

I don’t think reviews should be subjected to the ratings as those ratings seem to be more knee jerks, I do think it has killed off some of the flow of opinions, not that I’m worried about my internet points unless I can cash them in for valuable prizes like those groovey DCP ear things

Can I?

• Like 1

Or you can just not provide play-by-plays at all; enjoy the show and post a review the next day. That's what I do. Sure, it may sound selfish, but honestly, I'm more concerned about what's on the field at the time as opposed to what people have to say about what I post during the show. I tried doing it last year at one show, but frankly my fingers are too big to try to type out play-by-plays on my iPhone.

And like someone else said earlier, having a thick skin helps.

• Like 1

I tried posting during the Gadsden show and tried to say something about each corps. This was mainly for the people (like me) who rely on DCP and Twitter to get a feel for the show and how our favorite corps was doing.

But, you do miss a lot if you post during a performance, especially trying to type on a small smartphone (daytime shows especially--screen glare). Plus, I never figured out how to post pictures which most folks like to see during a show. That said, I'll probably try again next season.

Yes, you're the only who feels this way. :tongue:

But seriously, I would rather have no live posting from shows. You're at a drumcorps show. WATCH THE SHOW. You can tell others about it AFTER it is over with. I hate that these days everyone is so attached to their phones. They're constantly pulling them out and tinkering around on them. It's really annoying, especially at live events where it can be a distraction. This is just my opinion. That being said, I'm sorry you have encountered some rude people on here. You have to have a thick skin to post on DCP. I wish you luck in your future endeavors.

Yes, you're the only who feels this way. :tongue:

But seriously, I would rather have no live posting from shows. You're at a drumcorps show. WATCH THE SHOW. You can tell others about it AFTER it is over with. I hate that these days everyone is so attached to their phones. They're constantly pulling them out and tinkering around on them. It's really annoying, especially at live events where it can be a distraction. This is just my opinion. That being said, I'm sorry you have encountered some rude people on here. You have to have a thick skin to post on DCP. I wish you luck in your future endeavors.

The tweets to DCP threads were a way to connect with people that were there to those that care and weren't there. Liahona and CrownBariDad were two of many tweethearts :bigsmile: whom had kept those that weren't there feel as if we were in a well paced, informative and respectful way. Thanks tweetie birds, you did good! :thumbup:

edit: I may be in a mood grrr or not 'cause I'm on vacation. Ya!

Edited by lindap