DCI on PBS

Best bet to check out the demographics, or at least the PAYING demographics, is to see what is being run during the pledge drives. We've had a few years of 50s doo-wop groups but more recently it's been 60s folk music.

That's it! We get Cesario to convince every corps to play 1960s folk music and they we can market the show to PBS as "Folk on the Field." :shutup:

That's it! We get Cesario to convince every corps to play 1960s folk music and they we can market the show to PBS as "Folk on the Field." :shutup:

And guest commentator will be John (Lovin Spoonful) Sebastian since he does the Folkie broadcast.

Eh... prefer the Doo-Wop one myself as they brought out whoever was left from the original groups to perform. Some groups had what could have been orignal members and some you knew were too young (kinda like the Alumni corps). Then a few you knew #### well were lip sync'ing as the background music didn't match what was in the pit band (maybe they used synths :devil: ). Trying to remember the guy who was dancing around and "singing". My wife thought that was great at his age until I said the sound matched exactly the vinyl I had in the basement (and they never showed the pit band - clue they weren't doing anything).

I think the point being made about the reach of the internet is a good one but that video gave as an example doesn't really introduce anyone to drum corps. My partner, who only knows about drum corps from me, had mentioned that when she saw the TV broadcast it gave her the impression that drum corps is bigger than it really is. I don't feel that people get that same sense from a parking lot video of a drum corps. What would be the harm of getting DCI back on PBS?

Ashy

Only harm is it is a very poor investment in terms of potential reach. The PBS demographics don't really line up with the market the activity needs to reach.

PBS was legend. Without PBS programming growing up, I would have certainly become a much different person.

That said, because of all the other options out there, and the fact that PBS really hasn't kept pace... it isn't really even a network my grandma would watch these days.

Besides, broadcast is dead.

There are so many better ways to connect with the target audience. Again, YouTube is a much better opportunity than PBS ever was. There just needs to be a clear strategy for how to make it more actionable.

• Like 1

YouTube and other online channels are much more effective than broadcast.

A lot of people are even starting to ditch broadcast and cable/sat for online content. This will really pick up as the quality of options breadth of available content improves.

Online channels should be the focus.

. That sort of reach is crazy in comparison to potential of PBS or even ESPN2, and there is zero cost for the slot.

This is where it's at.

Agreed. That's something DCI needs to look into... This is the right time to do it too. thumbup.gif

PBS shows a great deal of programs that have a much smaller viewership that DCI. If DCI burned a bridge why not just head back and say sorry? Isn't PBS television to showcase what people are doing and not to make a profit. I understand they need to make money through donations to keep the gears moving. Maybe DCI and DCA can do a joint broadcast?

DCA is in no position to do such a deal. all moneys DCA makes on the shows they run themselves is to go back to the corps.

PBS is "non-profit", but that doesn't mean they do not want to make money. With giovernment funding for PBS getting smaller all the time, they need every dime they can get.

My family always gave,and when I was old enough, I did too. But I'm one of the few. PBS will make more money showing the Les Miz 25th during pledge week than they will from DCI. I'm not talking called in pledges, I am talking checks that arrive.

To go back and say "sorry" will not nearly be enough

Best bet to check out the demographics, or at least the PAYING demographics, is to see what is being run during the pledge drives. We've had a few years of 50s doo-wop groups but more recently it's been 60s folk music.

PBS music programming reflects the typical musical tastes of the monied crowd... which is not too surprising when we think about it. There's no Rap, Alernative, Grunge, Country, Latino etc Music artists shows on PBS, for example. But we'll see Yanni, Tesh, Andre Rieu, The Met, doo-wops, 3 Tenors, 6 Tenors, 60's folk, James Taylor, etc and so forth. Thats because when PBS starts their begging pitch at the break, they want the phones to light up with those that have the most Benjamins. PBS programming appeals to a generally older, affluent, and highly educated audience predominently, and it works rather well for both PBS and their typical demographic audience.

Edited by BRASSO

God I miss DCI on PBS.

Yes! The local Broken Arrow, OK show "Drums of Summer" could be renamed "A Mighty Wind"!

Maybe we can get Al Chez to host the pledge breaks (unless there is a conflict with CBS).

I think you can get pretty much anything on PBS as long as you have an underwriter. But frankly if someone had that kind of cash to give to the activity I'd rather see it go to the corps themselves rather than a one-off broadcast program.

The Bravo idea was glib but it actually wouldn't be a terrible pitch for a reality program. I daresay that ample footage of tanned and shirtless men running around a football field might contain some appeal for Bravo's target demographics. How that would further drum corps' educational mission is perhaps a question best left unconsidered.