Corps Fees

I'm rooking out in 2012 and want to do it in World Class. I have previous DCI Open Class and DCA experience, so I know what to expect when I audition. The only problem is money. I'm not going to disclose how much I have saved up, but it wouldn't be enough for a few of the most expensive corps. So I was wondering (and obviously I don't want rumors, confirmed facts only please), which corps in World Class has the best value?

A finalist corps would be nice, but a fun experience and an entertaining show are a lot more important to me. I really just want to age out with a World Class corps no matter how well they do competitively. Also I live in New Jersey, so some corps that seem cheap would require a lot more money for travel.

The Crusaders stay pretty close to the East Coast during the off season and pre-season has been in NH a few years. Tour money is one thing, but seems to me those monthly round trip flights beginning in November might really add up. There are also some Open Class corps within easy reach for you. Search the various sites and there should be audition and other good information starting to show up. Even though you have some savings, keep fund raising. Best of luck.

• Like 1

Unless you're looking for a full tour, take a look at Jersey Surf. They have a very entertaining program each and every year, and have improved substantially since entering World Class. I don't know their exact fees, but they were a remarkable value when I looked into it for someone two years ago.

Unless you're looking for a full tour, take a look at Jersey Surf. They have a very entertaining program each and every year, and have improved substantially since entering World Class. I don't know their exact fees, but they were a remarkable value when I looked into it for someone two years ago.

Jersey Surf is actually one of my top choices, but I'm trying to look at every possibility because I would prefer a full tour. If Jersey surf decides to make the trip to San Antonio this year (I heard they've been talking about it ever since they went World Class), then I'd be 100% in.

The other problem is that they're on average the youngest corps in World Class. This shouldn't really matter much, but I only have one chance to age out and I'd like to share that experience with a good number of other age-outs.

Edited by MetalTones2012

I'm rooking out in 2012 and want to do it in World Class. I have previous DCI Open Class and DCA experience, so I know what to expect when I audition. The only problem is money. I'm not going to disclose how much I have saved up, but it wouldn't be enough for a few of the most expensive corps. So I was wondering (and obviously I don't want rumors, confirmed facts only please), which corps in World Class has the best value?

A finalist corps would be nice, but a fun experience and an entertaining show are a lot more important to me. I really just want to age out with a World Class corps no matter how well they do competitively. Also I live in New Jersey, so some corps that seem cheap would require a lot more money for travel.

Call each corps and ask them. That will take about 10 minutes....less time than waiting for everyone to type their experience here.

Look at which corps you can get to by flying Southwest. If you plan far enough in advance, the flights are pretty cheap.

• Like 2

Really, I think you might be looking at this backward. You're not flying anywhere (booking in advance) for less than $200 a round-trip. Just five trips is a grand. More likely, five trips is closer to $1,500. So if you're flying to a $2,000 tour fee, you're not really getting much value versus driving to the $3,000 corps.

Bluecoats are eight hours drive. Crown is more. Spirit more still. A couple of tanks of gas plus McDonalds half way and you're out nearly $100, maybe more each trip. So unless you have bud to split the bill, that's $500 on top of dues. Cadets' $3,000 or so isn't looking like such a bad deal particularly considering they don't hit you with a lot of a al carte charges like other corps do. Surf is better yet.

Watch the extras. Some corps advertise lower tour fees but add plenty for camp fees, uniforms, etc.

HH

Really, I think you might be looking at this backward. You're not flying anywhere (booking in advance) for less than $200 a round-trip. Just five trips is a grand. More likely, five trips is closer to $1,500. So if you're flying to a $2,000 tour fee, you're not really getting much value versus driving to the $3,000 corps.

Bluecoats are eight hours drive. Crown is more. Spirit more still. A couple of tanks of gas plus McDonalds half way and you're out nearly $100, maybe more each trip. So unless you have bud to split the bill, that's $500 on top of dues. Cadets' $3,000 or so isn't looking like such a bad deal particularly considering they don't hit you with a lot of a al carte charges like other corps do. Surf is better yet.

Watch the extras. Some corps advertise lower tour fees but add plenty for camp fees, uniforms, etc.

HH

I'd give anything to age out with The Cadets, but they're actually a lot more than $3,000. That's just the tour fees. They also charge you for individual winter camps, spring training, equipment maintenance, etc.

I'd give anything to age out with The Cadets, but they're actually a lot more than $3,000. That's just the tour fees. They also charge you for individual winter camps, spring training, equipment maintenance, etc.

Then make it happen. Put 100% into it right now. Otherwise, you'll regret it later.

• Like 3