Corps Fees

Surf and Cadets are in your backyard, but some other corps are reachablle. Look into finding carpools to other corps you might be interested in. You might be suprised that some members drive to Glassmen, Bluecoats, Crown and Boston (not sure how many camps are in FL now) from your area. If you don't mind up to ten hours in a car and stuffing three or four people in, you might have a great adventure. Good luck.

Thanks! Honestly the corps I really want to join is Spirit of Atlanta. I loved their 2010 and 2011 shows more than most of the better corps. If I can't do that then I'm perfectly content with the Cadets or Jersey Surf, but like I said before I want to explore several options. If anybody on the Spirit staff is reading this, can you please PM me?

Thanks! Honestly the corps I really want to join is Spirit of Atlanta. I loved their 2010 and 2011 shows more than most of the better corps. If I can't do that then I'm perfectly content with the Cadets or Jersey Surf, but like I said before I want to explore several options. If anybody on the Spirit staff is reading this, can you please PM me?

Do be a bit careful, Cadets might not be a great fit if you'd rather be someplace else.

I agree that you seem to be putting the cart before the horse. Finances matter yes, but this is the corps you'll be spending your whole summer with (that summer can seem reaaaallly long, or go by in an instant!) A good fit will make all the difference! Figure out where you want to march, and then figure out the logistics to get there.

Edited by CuriousMe
  • Like 1

I believe Boston Crusaders' fee for 2011 was $2150. And in terms of flying, I know the Massachusetts kids had no trouble getting cheap Jet Blue and Southwest flights from Logan (Boston) to Tampa. As a New Jersey person, you could choose your audition camp from either flying to FL or driving to the audition in Lynn, MA. There are camp fees but they are minimal. Good luck!

Do be a bit careful, Cadets might not be a great fit if you'd rather be someplace else.

I agree that you seem to be putting the cart before the horse. Finances matter yes, but this is the corps you'll be spending your whole summer with (that summer can seem reaaaallly long, or go by in an instant!) A good fit will make all the difference! Figure out where you want to march, and then figure out the logistics to get there.

Completely agree with this. Since your avatar is a euphonium, I would guess that's your primary or preferred instrument. Just FYI, for the two years my daughter has marched trumpet for The Cadets, they don't use euphs. They have baritones play the euph parts.

No corps is right for everyone. You need to talk to current and former MMs and staff to get a feel for the organization and try to attend a camp. I know that going to multiple camps increases expenses, but if you're not completely comfortable at the first camp, that corps may not be the place for you and you should look elsewhere.

I understand the money issue, but make sure you find the corps that fits your needs the best and work on finances later. There are several ways you can make it happen (sponsors, fundraising, etc), and having stashed some money away and starting your search now is a good first step.

Good luck on your jouney, and know that wherever you march, it will be a great, life-changing experience.

I'd give anything to age out with The Cadets, but they're actually a lot more than $3,000. That's just the tour fees. They also charge you for individual winter camps, spring training, equipment maintenance, etc.

I think you're overstated Cadet costs. Yes, there are audition fees and registration fees. But in general the price is very nearly "all-inclusive" which is different from a lot of corps that have a lot of incremental fees on top of the "summer" price.

In any event, you might be missing the major point which is total cost. Don't stop adding when you get the "tour fee." Include not only camp and other fees but transportation as well. If you're driving an hour or so to Cadets or Surf, you're saving hundreds, if not a thousand or more off the cost of corps.

One more bit of advice, since you asked. Forget this "one true love" thing when it comes to picking your corps. That misplaced notion has stopped too many people from marching. Just because you would have loved to march Vanguard doens't mean you wouldn't love to march Cadets or Surf (or Spirit) too. It's true that some corps are a bad fit for some people in some situations. It's equally true that many marchers are surprised to fall in love only after they've arrived.

Arrive first. The love will come if you invest in your corps and your corpsmates.

HH

Everyone here is offering great advice. But here is something else to consider...

Always remember, this is YOUR life and you only have one year left of junior drum corps. After 2012 you will NEVER be able to march DCI again.

Ever!!!

Okay, I know that's obvious to everyone, but it's really, really important...

You see, college will ALWAYS be there. Drum corps will not. If you have to take a year off from school to march DCI, do it. Yes, your parents might freak out. That's why I said it's YOUR life. You see, I stopped marching in DCI to go to college because that's what my parents wanted. And now I really, really regret it.

Make 2012 happen, but most importantly, do it in the corps YOU want to march in.

Best of luck to you.

• Like 1

Boston just announced a plan for payment which is a $200 per month flat fee which doesn't change due to various things if you lock in this payment plan. Don't know if that's only for vets though since the payments are from sep - sep.

I don't know about open class, but to audition for world class you need to initiate the auditioning process. Do what most others do and go to the corps website. Look for staff e-mails and shoot them messages. I promise you that Spirit's staff will be more than happy to take people with prior drum corps experience. Finances can be worked out and problems with traveling can also be worked out.

Good luck with SoA! I'm sure they'll have another great year.