DCI World Class Finals Retreat 2011

Where is the old guy with Chicago Connection? Back in the '70s he stood guard with a Tommy Gun.

And when they marched in 1980 St Pats Parade in Chicago Teddy Kennedy was on reviewing stand. Secret service checked those guns at least 10 times...

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

Fair point in that perhaps in hindsight the poster should not have used in his criticism the phrase... " G8 Corps ".

The reason I mentioned 'G8' in my original post.....is these corps are to be considered the Major players of the Major League. If that's what they want..I am going to hold to the highest of standards. So...something as basic as properly (Or actually displaying) an Honor Guard in full retreat on the most important night of drum corps for them....seems they shouldn't miss a beat.

If a new struggling corps was out there having the same issues...then I would think they have folks who need to be educated on Honor Guards. The top corps should have no issues with Honor Guards and what is proper

Edited by Triple Forte
  • Like 3

I just plain don't understand this mentality.

I really believe that most Americans would NEVER notice if a flag doesn't have a spike or an eagle up top. If they did notice it, they probably wouldn't have known that it is somehow offensive, against the rules, or what-have-you (though I never saw any mention of this in the Code).

Americans (again, my opinion) do have respect for the flag, and when they see it, all kinds of memories and emotions flow through their minds...with or without a spike on top, or someone guarding it for 15 minutes, etc.

So you would REALLY rather there be no flag at all--to deprive everyone of the flag--than to have a flag without some little spike on top?

I just don't get it.

EDIT: I'm NOT trying to undermine anyone's feelings of pride in this country, and I am CERTAINLY not disrespecting those that have gone through our military over the last 200+ years. I just think the "all or nothing" mentality isn't worth it...

...it's the sacrifice of many for the benefit of only the very select few that want to see that spike on top (or whatever the error may be).

So, when I observed a large group of high school kids walking through the stands during the singing of the National Anthem chit-chatting away, not following any set formal code of ethnics toward the Flag, they were, "in their own way", honoring and respecting the Flag; Wow, thank you, I got it now!

• Like 5

So, when I observed a large group of high school kids walking through the stands during the singing of the National Anthem chit-chatting away, not following any set formal code of ethnics toward the Flag, they were, "in their own way", honoring and respecting the Flag; Wow, thank you, I got it now!

Yes, and when three rows over a group of teenagers is drowning puppies, they are ALSO honoring and respecting the flag "in their own way."

...give me a break! That had nothing to do with my submission!

Edited by Room_101
  • Like 1

I just plain don't understand this mentality.

I really believe that most Americans would NEVER notice if a flag doesn't have a spike or an eagle up top. If they did notice it, they probably wouldn't have known that it is somehow offensive, against the rules, or what-have-you (though I never saw any mention of this in the Code).

• Like 1

Just wondering what the "code of ethnics" is toward the flag.

(I keed, I keed, Stu. We're on the same side here. Just lightening it up a bit.)

Yes, and when three rows over a group of teenagers is drowning puppies, they are ALSO honoring and respecting the flag "in their own way."

...give me a break! That had nothing to do with my submission!

My question would be who taught them that "drowning puppies" is an acceptable way to honor and respect our flag?

(Not even sure what "drowning puppies" is supposed to mean in this usage. Is drowning puppies legal?)

• Like 1

My question would be who taught them that "drowning puppies" is an acceptable way to honor and respect our flag?

(Not even sure what "drowning puppies" is supposed to mean in this usage. Is drowning puppies legal?)

I'm not sure if your question is serious (especially in light of your post just above that one), but I was simply answering his sarcasm with even more sarcasm.

The Flag Code states that: "No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America." The problem with this is that "disrespect" is such an unbelievably subjective term. What is considered disrespectful by Triple Forte, Liahona, Stu, and others is not disrespectful to me (and others).

It's a subjective term. If anything, the fault lies with (gasp!) the writers of the Flag Code.

• Like 3

It's a subjective term. If anything, the fault lies with (gasp!) the writers of the Flag Code.

For the record...The Code is compiled by the Office of the Law Revision Counsel of the United States House of Representatives.

• Like 1

For the record...The Code is compiled by the Office of the Law Revision Counsel of the United States House of Representatives.

Okay. Then they should be more, uh, explicit (where's Weiner when you need him?) in outlining what is disrespectful and what is not. If it's not clear what is and what isn't, then it's not fair to point to something relatively trivial and label it disrespectful.