Tilting snares

dcibrando

The carriers are fine. The tilting part is done on the snare-side attachment. Both Yamaha and Pearl Randall May attachments should be tiltable - literally you just twist the two clamps slightly (that go on the posts) so that the attachment, when tightened, is at an angle.

Make sense? I can dig up a picture if you need to see it (I know my explanation might be slightly vague :tongue: ).

Mike

Here's a pic of one attached -

http://img196.images...2/img0194gi.jpg

http://www.scottcurr...earlpremier.jpg

Same idea, non Randall-May adaptor -

http://www.2coolperc...chment_tilt.jpg

Mike

Is it just my imagination, or is that last one tilted in the wrong direction?

• Like 3

Field Marshal Montgomery, who just won the World Pipe Band Championships, has a drummer who plays "reverse traditional" (traditional grip right hand, matched left hand). Kind of strange to see, but honestly, doesn't affect their sound at all.

Free vids of the championships here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/worlds/2011/

Look for Field Marshal Montgomery - Medley. And if you have interest and patience, also check out House of Edgar Shotts & Dykehead - they won high drums despite finishing 7th. <coughPhantomRegimentcough>

Mike

The best way to tilt your snares is not to tilt your snares. :cool:

• Like 1

The best way to tilt your snares is not to tilt your snares.

I [who started in drum corps in 1965 on snare] agree. Other than possibly helping with traditional grip left hand rim shots, tilted snare heads otherwise have no demonstrable playing or sound advantage compared to flat snare heads. None.

Just like the matched-VS-traditional grip debate, tilting snares is strictly a matter of style.

Edited by Jim Nevermann
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I [who started in drum corps in 1965 on snare] agree. Other than possibly helping with traditional grip left hand rim shots, tilted snare heads otherwise have no demonstrable playing or sound advantage compared to flat snare heads. None.

Just like the matched-VS-traditional grip debate, tilting snares is strictly a matter of style.

I couldn't disagree more. Having marched and taught all three styles, I can say that there are distinct left hand advantages to tilting the snares if you're playing traditional grip. On a flat surface, you have to stretch your left hand to unnatural angles to reach a full vertical stroke. The tilt neutralizes that by making that vertical angle slightly lower and within the natural range of the wrist turn. The distance from the drum doesn't change, and so the sound is not affected. It also allows your hand to rest in a more natural position, allowing for a generally more relaxed and natural feel for the left hand. There's also no longer the need to hold the right elbow out away from the body in order to get the right hand flat to the drum in order to match a comfortable left hand height. As with anything though, there is a trade off. In order to accommodate the tilt for the left hand, you have to learn to slice slightly with the right hand. If that is not done correctly, you can develop some really bad habits. You can argue the pros and cons all you want, but someone who says that there is no real reason to tilt the drums has either not tried it, or is too biased by their personal preferences.