Tilting snares

dcibrando

My complaint about drum stands are twofold:

1] They represent additional equipment to purchase, store, transport & replace. Drum Corps isn't expensive enough?

2] Stands for marching drums came into fashionable use because the drums have become absurdly heavy; particularly tenors. Yet, for reasons that completely mystify me, not a one of the drum companies have seen fit to develop light[er] weight composite [not fiberglass or acrylic] shells. Monolith Drums started to, but lapsed back into the drumset market. I looked into Monolith back in 1998 for a start-up sr corps in Seattle, but since their Customer Service/response was terrible, I gave up. They *looked* good online, but....

My complaint about drum stands are twofold:

1] They represent additional equipment to purchase, store, transport & replace. Drum Corps isn't expensive enough?

2] Stands for marching drums came into fashionable use because the drums have become absurdly heavy; particularly tenors. Yet, for reasons that completely mystify me, not a one of the drum companies have seen fit to develop light[er] weight composite [not fiberglass or acrylic] shells. Monolith Drums started to, but lapsed back into the drumset market. I looked into Monolith back in 1998 for a start-up sr corps in Seattle, but since their Customer Service/response was terrible, I gave up. They *looked* good online, but....

I haven't had a chance to try them myself yet, but the Pearl carbon ply drums have gotten good reviews so far. One of the groups I teach is about due for some new drums, so I may see if we can try some out. As for stands, I don't mind letting my students use them if we're going to be stationary for a long time. The catch is, they can't start to develop bad habits (tenors leaning out over the drums, snares slouching, basses getting lazy with technique). The second that happens, the stands go away.

• Like 1

For us old guys in Alumni Corps who didnt have the "luxury" of carrying back breaking snares or multi toms and grew up humping a 12x15 OR 12X16 snare or SINGLE tenor with a sling and leg rest it's tradition as well what WE are COMFORTABLE with!!! Ive tried playing flat with shorter sticks and just couldnt get it to work.

Wonder how many DCI or DCA snare players could play as well, as fast playing on an angle with a sling and leg rest and the drum bouncing around.

Most of us old farts didnt get play on nice flat ASTROTURF!!, most times it was a cow pasture aka football field with ruts divits pitchers mounds at times, no "glide and slide" on those fields!!

In a nutshell its what you are used to or comfortable with.

For us old guys in Alumni Corps who didnt have the "luxury" of carrying back breaking snares or multi toms and grew up humping a 12x15 OR 12X16 snare or SINGLE tenor with a sling and leg rest it's tradition as well what WE are COMFORTABLE with!!! Ive tried playing flat with shorter sticks and just couldnt get it to work.

Wonder how many DCI or DCA snare players could play as well, as fast playing on an angle with a sling and leg rest and the drum bouncing around.

Most of us old farts didnt get play on nice flat ASTROTURF!!, most times it was a cow pasture aka football field with ruts divits pitchers mounds at times, no "glide and slide" on those fields!!

In a nutshell its what you are used to or comfortable with.

You are 100% correct, it is what you're comfortable with that matters to you. Imo though the rest of it is kind of a moot point seeing as I think the angle thing has been somewhat discounted as a determining factor on how you approach the drum and if drums still had leg rests and slings, there wouldn't be much drill happening away from up, down and around the 50 (I know,I did it carrying a 15 in drum with a sling and leg rest for 20 years before harnesses and 14" drums came out).

As far as playing goes, sound quality and speed are in how you were taught and what you're exposed to. To my knowledge, most sticks are the traditional 17 1\4 " and have been for a long time now. I think good players are good players, no matter what era they come from and would be able to adapt to whatever they chose to do

The last year I marched in DCA was 2000, my official "age out" year so I've been through the loop with the fast drills, tempos, etc, I also went back to playing with a sling and leg rest for a couple of years with Sky Alumni (2007-2009),

On another note while show fields have gotten better from bitd, ask some of these young people about the fields they practice on, lol

• 1 month later...

I've seen a few groups allowing their tenor players to use the stands for when they are just standing in the lot but have the snares and basses still using the carriers. I find this a very respectable median to using stands or carriers because I know that tenor players backs get truly screwed up the more they carry them.

• Like 2

If I may, I would like to offer a little different perspective. although the subject has been rightly referred to. Having worked in management at large scale manufacturing paper mills. I can tell you that muscular and skeletal injuries need to be prevented and, if not prevented, mitigated through proper physical regimens, medical care. and rest. The laws. Federal and State, do not always apply to non-profit organizations with voluntary participants. But as we've seen with Football injuries, successful suits can be won on the basis of negligence, indifference, etc.

It would be safer to march with holes or supernumerarries than to face a negligence suit IMHO. If anyone is in pain from carrying their instruments, or silk, or dancing performance, they need to be treated, but there is a place for playing through minor pain. Don't take chances

Last point: Everyone needs to play by the same rules.

Kevin Doherty (kdoh)

• 2 weeks later...

You want a "tilt" use a SLING!!!!