Tilting snares

dcibrando

That minor tilt --what, ten degrees?-- makes no demonstrable difference in the tiny area where the stick's bead contacts the drumhead for *either* stick. Tilting a carrier-suspended snare is, again, strictly a stylistic preference/issue, which offers no execution advantage or disadvantage to the player [other than the minor stick/hand/forearm position & height adjustments for rim & stick shots as I mentioned earlier].

Edited by Jim Nevermann
  • Like 1

That minor tilt --what, ten degrees?-- makes no demonstrable difference in the tiny area where the stick's bead contacts the drumhead for *either* stick. Tilting a carrier-suspended snare is, again, strictly a stylistic preference/issue, which offers no execution advantage or disadvantage to the player [other than the minor stick/hand/forearm position & height adjustments for rim & stick shots as I mentioned earlier].

You can say that all you want, but it doesn't make it true. Do groups take the visual style into consideration when making the decision to tilt or not to? Sure. But there is a definite ergonomic difference in the mechanics of playing the drum at a tilt vs. flat.

So once you get them tilted just right, step back, look at the sloppiness and then change them back to level the way God intended them to be. :tongue:

• Like 1

I grew up playing on a tilted snare drum wearing a sling and leg rest, however, I was taught to play in a manner that was perpendicular to the ground. When I went to playing on a level surface, it made no difference and I've gone back and forth over the years. btw, some would say that drums were made level just for the purpose of advanced marching techniques.

But there is a definite ergonomic difference in the mechanics of playing the drum at a tilt vs. flat.

No: only minor stick/hand/forearm position & height adjustments because of the slightly raised/lowered rim edges relative to them from the (minor) tilt. Otherwise, no "definite ergonomic difference".

Edited by Jim Nevermann

No: only minor stick/hand/forearm position & height adjustments because of the slightly raised/lowered rim edges relative to them from the (minor) tilt. Otherwise, no "definite ergonomic difference".

Whatever you say man. I'm not going to argue with you over something this trivial.

I grew up playing on a tilted snare drum wearing a sling and leg rest, however, I was taught to play in a manner that was perpendicular to the ground. When I went to playing on a level surface, it made no difference and I've gone back and forth over the years. btw, some would say that drums were made level just for the purpose of advanced marching techniques.

BITD every corps marched with slings and leg rests, hence with a tilted drum. And one that pitched about while you were moving. However, we also spent a lot of time playing on horizontal pads. No big deal.

And stands were for wussies.

Edited by The Oz

A simple test to see if you might like a tilted snare: Check out YouTube or someone playing in person, or look in a mirror. If you play traditional on a flat snare mounted on a carrier, compare your shoulder position when the drum is on a stand. I've notice MANY drummers that drop their left shoulder when playing a flat drum on a stand. Some drop the left so far they are actually leaning left. Often the same drummers raise the right shoulder when the drum is on a carrier. I find that a tilted snare accommodates a natural should position and is more comfortable for me personally.

The first video that popped up on the Tube

demonstrates this. He isn't tilting his snare, but he is tilting his body instead. Several other videos on YouTube follow suit.

I'm a guard girl and even I think tilted snares look bad. Always! :ph34r:

• Like 1

BITD every corps marched with slings and leg rests, hence with a tilted drum. And one that pitched about while you were moving. However, we also spent a lot of time playing on horizontal pads. No big deal.

And stands were for wussies.

I was used to playing on tables and pads as well which if you really think about it since the table wasn't usually at the height that you would wear the drum, really had no specific effect either way. I also used to feel that way about stands too but the fact is there is quite a bit more time marching with drums on than was done back in the day with a lot more varied movement and moving around a hell of a lot faster as well so, the time spent playing on stands is minimal actually.

Edited by Fastone