2012 show ideas

Phantom - Into the dark: Life without J.D. Shaw

T_T

:glare:

Mrglbrgl

Edited by Impuls!vebari

Here is an official thread for music and concepts that any of the corps' should do for the 2012 season. I think phantom should do the music from the movie van hellsing.

I'd like to see a Corps do a theme in 2012 around the song " Good night, Irene ".

Everything from Sym #5 on was a lot more subtle in darkness. Sym #4 is pure explicit darkness, white-knuckle, teeth-clenching emotion from note one. It's no wonder he hid it from "the authorities."

Off-topic... I saw the Dallas Symphony play Shosty 4 a few years back. After the end of every movement, more and more people got up and left. I'm guessing 60-65% of the audience stuck it out for the last movement. And this would be a fairly sophisticated crowd, I'd imagine - maybe not NY Phil folk, but up there.

<Off-topic... I saw the Dallas Symphony play Shosty 4 a few years back. After the end of every movement, more and more people got up and left. I'm guessing 60-65% of the audience stuck it out for the last movement. And this would be a fairly sophisticated crowd, I'd imagine - maybe not NY Phil folk, but up there. >

Shostakovich is a sound world all its own...those who drop in for a dip in the frigid waters of Shosty's symphonic pools are usually frozen right out. Only people who join Shostakovich 'Polar Bear' clubs learn to enjoy the pleasures of a 1 hour dip in the ice. As much as I love and appreciate the Shostakovich canon, we orchestral types need to do a much better job of preparing a casual audience for the experience.

There is only one Shosty 5. Shosty 10 is a great ride as well...but when you get all the way over to 4...well, that's a horse with far different feathers. But remember all...without 4, there would never be a 5, and I don't just mean the mere numbering.

As Bruckner points out, 4 is just bare, pained anguish. It's brutal - but in no way concealed. Because of the threats to his life over Lady Macbeth (composed at the same time as 4...), Shostakovich had to either throw in the towel of standards and honor, or learn to give the government what they wanted, AND uphold his personal honor and standards at the same time. Five (5th symphony) was his first success in that. Six is perhaps even more so...

To get in from warmest to coldest...listen to:

1, 5, 7, 10, 9, 6, 8...then on to 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, and maybe then...4 (which I love...)

• Like 2

<Off-topic... I saw the Dallas Symphony play Shosty 4 a few years back. After the end of every movement, more and more people got up and left. I'm guessing 60-65% of the audience stuck it out for the last movement. And this would be a fairly sophisticated crowd, I'd imagine - maybe not NY Phil folk, but up there. >

Shostakovich is a sound world all its own...those who drop in for a dip in the frigid waters of Shosty's symphonic pools are usually frozen right out. Only people who join Shostakovich 'Polar Bear' clubs learn to enjoy the pleasures of a 1 hour dip in the ice. As much as I love and appreciate the Shostakovich canon, we orchestral types need to do a much better job of preparing a casual audience for the experience.

There is only one Shosty 5. Shosty 10 is a great ride as well...but when you get all the way over to 4...well, that's a horse with far different feathers. But remember all...without 4, there would never be a 5, and I don't just mean the mere numbering.

As Bruckner points out, 4 is just bare, pained anguish. It's brutal - but in no way concealed. Because of the threats to his life over Lady Macbeth (composed at the same time as 4...), Shostakovich had to either throw in the towel of standards and honor, or learn to give the government what they wanted, AND uphold his personal honor and standards at the same time. Five (5th symphony) was his first success in that. Six is perhaps even more so...

To get in from warmest to coldest...listen to:

1, 5, 7, 10, 9, 6, 8...then on to 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, and maybe then...4 (which I love...)

Superb analysis. Shoshtakovich's music offers many large dramatic moments whether dark or upbeat. He was under great political pressure, but if we listen to his music on it's own merits without the political history, you will hear peerless melodies and orchestration. This is what the highest level of drum corps, IMHO, and 60 years of listening to DC and all kinds of music is about.

Kevin