2012 show ideas

The Cadets -- "Between Angles and Demons Part II: An Even Year's Take on an Odd Year's Championship Show [...]

Vanguard -- "The Angle's Staircase: It Worked for the Cadets

It'll be very obtuse, that's for sure!

Quite right. "Non Angli, sed angeli!"

ENNIO MORRICONE!

I could not agree more. I love almost all of his work I have stumbled upon.

I'd love to hear some more takes on the music from "Dancer in the Dark." Cadet's 05 ballad (New World) was superb, and I'm not sure anyone could (or should) try to duplicate it...but the movie has a lot more beautiful music to select (and I wouldn't be opposed to hearing a different take on my favorite ballad ever either!)

Good topic: My humble opinions:

I think there is more to mine from Copland. I would like to hear the Cadets or SCV do El Salon Mexico. His 3rd Symphony also presents opportunity because the Cadet's arrangement was way off the mark.

I agree that Shostakovich offers big opportunities. Symph. No 10 has great moments. The BK arrangement was accurate, but it's time for Phantom to do it.

John Adams has lots of room for exploration.

Concert Band pieces have lots of room for exploration, e.g Percy Grainger and successors.

I think jazz has nore limitations because Buddy Rich and Stan Kenton have been done to death. Has anyone considered Toshiko Akyoshi, Maria Schneider, etc.?

Kevin Doherty

We need drum corps to perform some Thad Jones/Basie/Clayton-Hamilton.

I don't care who does it, I just want to see a Rite of Spring show. Or something by Stravinsky. A Petrouchka (Pretushka) show would work as well.

I'd love to hear some more takes on the music from "Dancer in the Dark." Cadet's 05 ballad (New World) was superb, and I'm not sure anyone could (or should) try to duplicate it... but the movie has a lot more beautiful music to select (and I wouldn't be opposed to hearing a different take on my favorite ballad ever either!)

Didn't Bluecoats actually perform that ballad before Cadets?

Sounds good to me, as long as it's Johan de Meij LOTR symphony rather than Howard Shore's film score.

Id love the film score.

• Like 1

I think BD should do their 91 or 93 show again. The hornlines was amazing those 2 seasons. With the colorguard and percussion sections alot better now than those two season's, imo those shows would be smoking now.

OMG Hello If they would play the '91 Horn Book Note for Note from start to finish. Iv'e been wishing for this for a few years now. Albeit with a Better Visual/Guard design and Percussion book than that of the 91 show.

Yes, 2002...and for LotR, I would go with either Shore or Meij, maybe even mix.

Sadly, no one can do the LOTR stuff. Way too tight on the restrictions. I know a local high school tried, and got a cease and desist letter before they even had a chance to perform it. I swear Disney and De Meij have spies out for any of this stuff....