Watch DCA Prelims LIVE online!

How about DCA placing a "sample" feed on their website so we can check out the streaming quality and our internet connections?

Before I make a twenty dollar donation to DCA, I need to know if the feed would be "enjoyable" video quality-wise.

Will it be 240, 360, 480 or 720 ?

What will the video format be ?

Will the "lag" be buffered or just dropped?

Inquireing minds need to know!

Might go to the DCI Fan Network and check out the videos that are free (if you don't have a subscription) to test it out. The DCA Fan Network will be the same infrastructure and should be indicative of your experience. I've watched several live events on the DCI and WGI Fan Networks (both the DCI infrastructure) and have been pleased with the experience.

Just a suggestion - you will *ALWAYS* have better results with streaming video if you use a hard-wired connection. Wireless always introduces another layer of protocol and it's inherent delays. It will work on WiFi .... But will work better / more problem free if you're hard-wired.

If can connect to your router / network with a cable - do it.

This is NOT unique to the DCA Fan Network - just a good practice in-general. I'd hate for DCA to get a bad rap for something that is not their fault.

Depending on the age of the equipment you will likly need a couple of different cables. Audio and Video both require separate cables.Found that out the hard way the first time I hooked up to the TV.

<snip>

LCD monitors are getting huge and prices have never been better. If your considering watching the DCA fan network online you might be better to just go ahead and invest in a good LCD monitor and watch it that way instead of trying to patch up a computer to your TV and have a less than ideal viewing experience.

Well the PC is old and the TV is a off-off-off brand so think I'm hosed.... :ph34r:

Last year went to fiber optic everything because the local phone lines are horrible. During the heat wave when the sun was on the wires all you heard was static. So the installers show up while I'm at work and my wife calls saying "Think there is a problem with the PC". Ask here what the installers were like and she said "Real nice and real young" so figure I'll have some fun with 'em. Get the one guy on the phone and say "I thought we got a new PC with this deal" and hear his jaw hit the ground. :devil: Then I laugh and he says the problem is it will take the PC a few minutes to load up cuz it's so old. I then ask "So what's gonna be different?" and hear the jaw hitting again. Hey it suits was we use it for so why hurry the switch over, probably go laptop next time.

TV is an flatscreen Element (who?) and was bought when the 85 pound tube TV went *pop* one night and I almost killed myself getting it to the trash. Looked at the Element and a name brand next to it and asked the clerk the difference as picture quality and size was the same. Answer was "about $300" Biggest problem is none of the Universal remotes have Element or our type of Element listed. Finally found the code online under "If nothing else works try this". Oh yeah both TV and PC bought at Circuit City (RIP) :doh:

So whadda do for a living Jim... I work in IT and have old and weird crappy equipment at home. :blink:

Edit: Well at least I have the proper version of Adobe Flash, thank you auto updates....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

David, tried a test of this since I registered from another PC and getting an error on trying to login.

Hoping this is because it's too early and not because something got hosed.

Man, feel like I need to turn in a Help Desk ticket....

A couple things:

1. If the DCA Fan Network is using the same technology as DCI/BOA/WGI, then you will need Flash on your device. That rules out any iOS device, including the iPad. Some Android devices run Flash with varying results. My Dell Streak, for example, was able to stream the Atlanta and Semifinals live streams successfully, although the Fan Network interface isn't easy to use on a touch screen device. I don't have a PS3, but I don't think the Fan Network works on any gaming console due to the Flash issue.

2. If you need audio/video cables, a great place to get quality cables cheap is http://www.monoprice.com/. I've used their cables both for our bedroom TV/cable/DVD/Roku setup as well as for my PC USB and HDMI cable needs. They really are high quality cables at killer prices. DO NOT blow cash on Monster cables. While they are good cables, most of the cost covers having the word Monster on those cables.

I hope its not flash. That blows the idea of bringing in the Ipad and watching it simultaneously in the stadium.

Instead, you bring the iPad and follow our awesome commentary. :P

A couple things:

1. If the DCA Fan Network is using the same technology as DCI/BOA/WGI, then you will need Flash on your device. That rules out any iOS device, including the iPad. Some Android devices run Flash with varying results. My Dell Streak, for example, was able to stream the Atlanta and Semifinals live streams successfully, although the Fan Network interface isn't easy to use on a touch screen device. I don't have a PS3, but I don't think the Fan Network works on any gaming console due to the Flash issue.

2. If you need audio/video cables, a great place to get quality cables cheap is http://www.monoprice.com/. I've used their cables both for our bedroom TV/cable/DVD/Roku setup as well as for my PC USB and HDMI cable needs. They really are high quality cables at killer prices. DO NOT blow cash on Monster cables. While they are good cables, most of the cost covers having the word Monster on those cables.

So ... is this Adobe Flash that everyone is referring to? ... Sorry for the simple questions but, many of us are just not tech savvy and my daughter won't be around to help me out ... looks like I might have a HDMI port on my laptop ... oh well ... this is really a great opportunity for all to catch prelims ...

:-)

Instead, you bring the iPad and follow our awesome commentary. :P

I'll probably bring it so I can get the scores

So ... is this Adobe Flash that everyone is referring to? ... Sorry for the simple questions but, many of us are just not tech savvy and my daughter won't be around to help me out ... looks like I might have a HDMI port on my laptop ... oh well ... this is really a great opportunity for all to catch prelims ...

:-)

Yes, this is Adobe Flash I am referring to.

And I bought my current laptop because it has an HDMI port I can hook up to the home theater and watch Fan Network on my TV. :D

Yes, this is Adobe Flash I am referring to.

And I bought my current laptop because it has an HDMI port I can hook up to the home theater and watch Fan Network on my TV. :D

:ph34r:

Saw the Semi-finals from Indy on such a setup with 'Flash' Schiebel's TV set up in the garage - fed off his laptop..I suspect I could do something like that with my wife's new laptop to my HDTV..

Pat