Now That Soloists are Plugged-in

1. I got your point, it's just not a very good one. I don't see how staging implies the importance of an instrument group. Seems like a flawed perspective.

2. Threats of leaving due to instrumentation? Really? Short-sighted much?

3. There are many who think it wouldn't either. It seems like many people on DCP think that if many people agree with their opinion that it makes their opinion that much more meaningful. Not really.

What we people on DCP (thanks for at least calling us people) do understand and respect is your difference of opinion; what we do not understand is your condescending arrogance of supposed intellectual superiority.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

1. The issue is not the importance of an instrument group, it's the emphasis of the instrument group. The Cadets' staged NPR interview became the emphasis of the show and distracted from the instruments forced to march around it. Focusing the attention on a stationary stage and having the corps march around it deflects attention away from the corps.

2. After you've been here a while you'll begin to see that those who threaten to leave over instrumentation have been involved with drum corps for many years, sometimes for decades. They have reached their line in the sand at a particular point, but that doesn't reflect short-sightedness at all and, instead, it usually reflects age, experience, and a personal point of no return. Your short-sighted comment is truly short-sided.

3. Straw-man argument by definition. "Many" people is not countable even in DCP land, let alone countable out in the general fan base. Many people agreeing on an opinion doesn't mean it's more important as an issue to those saying it, but "many" people sharing a position is a bigger wheel which, presumably, has a bigger squeak. That you don't share the opinion doesn't make the opinion less valid either.

If you want a rock concert, then go see a rock concert and leave drum corps alone. Your encouragement for more rock and roll is as impactful as the "many" opinions you easily dismiss.

IMO, of course.

Go get em' Tiger (in reference to Garfield being a Cat). Ok, it was a bad pun, but a fun pun all the same! :smile:

This is why the soloist would be enclosed in a plexiglass cube and amp'd. :)

At least one corps has the structural components. All you'd need is the plexi sheets.

I like the idea of putting all the electronics in one plexi box.

Just one snip with the wire cutters takes them all out. :ph34r:

At least one corps has the structural components. All you'd need is the plexi sheets.

I like the idea of putting all the electronics in one plexi box.

Just one snip with the wire cutters takes them all out. :ph34r:

Actually, if you enclosed the whole pit in plastic -

style, never have to worry about rain.
  • Like 1

Actually, if you enclosed the whole pit in plastic -

style, never have to worry about rain.

Actually, they went one step better and put the whole corps in a big box called LOS.

Many of those who want drum corps outside always bring slickers to every show, even when there's a clear sky, because they secretly pray for rain just to be able to hear pure horn sounds again after the electronics have shorted out.

:smile:

(Oomph! A left cross to the cheek.)

The "Ole' back-up" is proper grammar? Proper grammar never left, it's just easily forgetten out of laziness. Hard to make a compelling argument without it.

Just sayin'.

Never been on middle school Facebook, but you apparently have spent time there. I suspect it's where you picked up an acceptance of poor grammar.

Just sayin'.

:tongue:

I have nothing to add to this thread except:

If you're going to attack someone for poor grammar, at least spell correctly and use complete sentences.

Just sayin'.

(And this is just this one single post.)

Just sayin'.

The whole point behind the creation of DCI is what you are arguing against. In the old VFW/AL days, they had the strict binding rules. Some thought it hindered creativity and wanted to do more things, so they left and formed DCI. Now you want DCI to turn itself into the old VFW? Probably not gonna happen. You can be as upset as you want to be about what you are seeing and hearing, but I see this the other way. I say if you want to see an activity that stagnates, and is completely closed to change, then you go start something. Better yet, there are other facets of drum corps out there that are more styled in the past and maintain those standards. They are great so why not go check that out? Alumni corps, DCA, military units all still have drum corps which have not taken DCI's path of evolution. They chose to do drum corps one way and that's great.

DCI was formed by people who wanted to see the activity change and evolve, not stand still. Is every change great? No. And I dont think anyone ever claimed it was. But they wanted the right to explore things and take chances. I personally can't imagine going by the 1970 rules anymore. I doubt I would still be as big of a fan as I am now. I have favorite shows from many different decades and I love the fact that they are all so different while still having the traits that truly define drum corps above and beyond the choice of instrumentation. Passion, precision, dedication, excellence, and the fact that amazing things are being accomplished by our youth.

Some of my favorite shows didnt have a pit. Some had marching timpani and some were grounded. Some had tri toms and some have sextets. Some had uniform changes, dramatic acting, different guard equipment other than sabre/rifle/flag. Some had 60 members like Southwind in 92 and some have 150 members like the 2011 Cadets. Some now have singing, dancing, voice over, and electronic sounds. I cant wait to see what they have in 2022!

So the direction DCA has chosen is "stagnation", but also "great"? And if DCI's member corps should decide that their activity should "evolve" into one where there are no electronics or amplification, only two-valved G bugles, and no pit, would you be accept that change or not?

I have nothing to add to this thread except:

If you're going to attack someone for poor grammar, at least spell correctly and use complete sentences.

Just sayin'.

(And this is just this one single post.)

Just sayin'.

I agree.

I offered corrections with my "attack". Still waiting on yours.

Just sayin'.

Do you have any indication that drum corps is moving beyond limited rock genre instrumentation? I'm guessing not.

Who cares what Joe DCP wants for the instrumentation? It's the corps who decides, and there's nothing to suggest the hyperbole suggested here.

And the FANS make the ultimate decision. If the FANS don't care for what they are seeing or hearing, they will stop plunking down hard-earned bucks to see it. When the stadia are all empty then the corps can play whatever they want with whatever instruments they choose. I maintain that dci should change its title to "Drumcorps Corrupted, Intentionally".

Just my opinion though, or is it?

Ray

OldePharte

Sorry, I didn't realize that 2 other folks raised the same point.

Edited by Ray Priester
  • Like 1

What we people on DCP (thanks for at least calling us people) do understand and respect is your difference of opinion; what we do not understand is your condescending arrogance of supposed intellectual superiority.

You got me. I also wish I had your ability of mind reading. That would be awesome.

Besides, it's not arrogance if it's true devil.gif

Edited by badoo