Now That Soloists are Plugged-in

When dealing within the "market", which in this case is a fan base, an individual flat does not matter. The collective whole of the fan base, that being the largest majority of those who spend their expendable income, is what matters to the bottom line more than appeasing one individual (or a small group of individuals). Unless, of course, you are attempting to purge the old fan base and appeal to a completely new fan base (which DCI might be attempting to do).

its far from a small group...all fans need to be considered but looking to the future is needed ..if we only cater to an older group soon there wont be anyone left...dca is finding this out i think..i am not saying ignore the past by no means but the past is the past the good as well as bad of it...personally i have been and still am part of both...maybe its just me i just dont get hooked up on all my past so i can move forward..i respect it all and all we did but wont live back then......just my persepective i think

Edited by GUARDLING

its far from a small group...all fans need to be considered but looking to the future is needed ..if we only cater to an older group soon there wont be anyone left...dca is finding this out i think..i am not saying ignore the past by no means but the past is the past the good as well as bad of it...personally i have been and still am part of both...maybe its just me i just dont get hooked up on all my past so i can move forward..i respect it all and all we did but wont live back then......just my persepective i think

It is interesting that you think that DCA is dwindling. As a matter of fact there are many more DCA corps around now than ever and less and less DCI corps. No one is say that DCI cater to the old timers or that drum corps has been stuck in the past. What we are saying is that the pace of change has gotten a little out of control. It has become almost impossible to keep up with what is being allowed today. Fans need to know if they are actually going to a drum and bugle corps competition or some new hybrid of marching band, Cirque du Soleil and lifetime movie of the week. If you need proof of this... just look in the stands. There are a lot of empty seats.

Edited by musclebud

I am keying in here on the term "Major League" because that is what DCI calls itself. A Major League can certainly make minor tweaks here and there (replay rule for example); but if the Major League has to go through a wild series of permutations over a short period of time in the name of keeping up with the future it is, by definition, not a "Leader" but a "Follower". Look at all the other competitive Major Leagues out there; they develop new fans by being the solid staple of definitive leadership and stability within their own activity; they replenish their fan base not through change, but through a qualitative set of established criteria which appeals to people of all ages of all eras.

Edited by Stu

It is interesting that you think that DCA is dwindling. As a matter of fact there are many more DCA corps around now than ever and less and less DCI corps. No one is say that DCI cater to the old timers or that drum corps has been stuck in the past. What we are saying is that the pace of change has gotten a little out of control. It has become almost impossible to keep up with what is being allowed today. Fans need to know if they are actually going to a drum and bugle corps competition or some new hybrid of marching band, Cirque du Soleil and lifetime movie of the week. If you need proof of this... just look in the stands. There are a lot of empty seats.

who said dca dwindled...not me..although several corps missing from the past doesnt do anything for open class...all i said was dca will also change to accomonadate a younger member and it has..as far as seats ive been to two dca shows in the past few weeks and both were empty......................its funny how those who dont like drum corps now copy all the same words..hybrid..marching band etc etc......i traveled a good part of the summer with a wc corps and attendance was up....it was obvious.....so drum coprs isnt what we knew forty years ago...so what...it was a great year for drum corps but i guess its not enough for some.....why would deum corps not changes in forty years

Edited by GUARDLING

I am keying in here on the term "Major League" because that is what DCI calls itself. A Major League can certainly make minor tweaks here and there (replay rule for example); but if the Major League has to go through a wild series of permutations over a short period of time in the name of keeping up with the future it is, by definition, not a "Leader" but a "Follower". Look at all the other competitive Major Leagues out there; they develop new fans by being the solid staple of definitive leadership and stability within their own activity; they replenish their fan base not through change, but through a qualitative set of established criteria which appeals to people of all ages of all eras.

thats all well and good and sounds great but have you read threads here on dcp....' its not drum corps......why fix if its not broke......why a uniform change....all you have to do is look at many topics here and you can see just as in many generational conversations its the same old story......

rock is the devils music..or a fad..its not real music..there are exampls of all this oh so common argument. so i suspect it all natural

Look at all the other competitive Major Leagues out there; they develop new fans by being the solid staple of definitive leadership and stability within their own activity; they replenish their fan base not through change, but through a qualitative set of established criteria which appeals to people of all ages of all eras.

One of the founding purposes of DCI was to allow the activity to be more dynamic, to evolve, rather than be confined to the more rigid structure and rules of the VFW circuit.

It will ALWAYS evolve, it is the nature of the beast. In many ways, it evolved far too slowly... for example, there was no logical reason not to move to 3 valve in the 70's with the foundation of DCI. The manufacturers were already producing 3 valve horns and shipping them overseas. Other things, like the any key rule or grounded pit should have happened many years before they did.

For those suggesting that the activity is changing too quickly, I'd argue it is actually changing a bit too slow.

• Like 1

One of the founding purposes of DCI was to allow the activity to be more dynamic, to evolve, rather than be confined to the more rigid structure and rules of the VFW circuit.

It will ALWAYS evolve, it is the nature of the beast. In many ways, it evolved far too slowly... for example, there was no logical reason not to move to 3 valve in the 70's with the foundation of DCI. The manufacturers were already producing 3 valve horns and shipping them overseas. Other things, like the any key rule or grounded pit should have happened many years before they did.

For those suggesting that the activity is changing too quickly, I'd argue it is actually changing a bit too slow.

this is true and people forget that way back when the people of the sixties and fifties said the same thing to those of the seventies......it aint drum corps

thats all well and good and sounds great but have you read threads here on dcp....' its not drum corps......why fix if its not broke......why a uniform change....all you have to do is look at many topics here and you can see just as in many generational conversations its the same old story......

rock is the devils music..or a fad..its not real music..there are exampls of all this oh so common argument. so i suspect it all natural

Sure, I have read all of those threads; I like them; I respect them; their opinions are just as valid as yours and mine.

That's right! Who cares! Even when the stands are empty, or filled with kids who borrowed from their strapped parents to buy tickets (let them borrow more for souvies!) THAT"S RIGHT! WE DON'T GIVE A D-A-M-N WHAT THE FANS THINK THEY WANT!

But since that is not happening, your example is not reflective of reality.

• Like 2