Now That Soloists are Plugged-in

Followed in close second to poor grammar...

Just sayin'...

I'm diggin' what you're saying Garfield, but I'd like to point out that "drum corps" is both singular and plural. tongue.gif

Glad we agree on this matter!!!

Yea, but didn't "New Coke" fail? peek.gif

GUARDLING:

I think that you miss my points. First off, I didn't mention any particular type of horn or drum. That was your assumption. Second, the added expense involved with the electronics, props, synthisizers etc. were causing more and more problems for the individual corps bottom line.

The activity has not grown in the past few years, it has contracted. Look at the number of corps in competition at the World Class level. To make the top 25 used to be a goal for a lot of corps, now there aren't 25 World Class corps. This is not growth.

As I said before, I think that what the kids today are doing is amazing. The musicianship is top-notch, why do they need to be amped? Why do they need to have synthisized? Please God, Someone unleash the Blue Devils hornline and let them play! Show me what truly talented musicians that you are!

Change can be a good thing, but how far do we "push the envelope" before we push it right off into the trash can?

i totally get what you are saying BUT i can also tell you that the cost is far less than people think and IF a corps can budget for all the bells and whistles...I ASK WJY NOT......id its a matter of a personal taste then thats different

They make the decision by not going to shows. I would think that a lot of empty seats would get the message across. It's based on well over 50 years in this activity. H**l, I was born into it. The late, great marching instructor Frank Kubinak, got his start as a second soprano in my grandfather's junior corps back in the 40s. I grew up around him and many other future legends of the sport. I played in the 50s, 60s, 70s and am still involved with an alumni corps. I think I have the necessary qualifications to form and voice an opinion on the subject. And, no, I am not a music major but I love music and know what I want to hear and how I want to hear it. And I am one of the folks who pay admission fees or not. Thank you very much.

Ray

Olde Pharte

Wow, I'm shocked that someone gave you a little red minus, so I gave you a green + to counter. devil.gif

I mean, it's not like you've attacked someone and we're all entitled to our opinions. Some was " hatin' "on ya! tongue.gif

Duplicate. Sorry!

Edited by jjeffeory

Absolutely.... my point is simply that the demographics of the audience have changed.

Which confuses the heck out of me. When I marched (1990), they were a great number of people who WERE music majors and were educated through the public school system, as you say is now the entirety of the activity. These people still understood the importance and desire to protect the integrity of the idiom. We had access to amps, synths, and all the instruments that are available today. They were being used in marching bands at the time. The drum corps idiom kept it acoustical brass and percussion even though those options were available to them. So, I don't think the demographics of the performer have changed as much as you're saying for a good while. I don't believe that they've changed since the formation of DCI and the improvement of the instruments, probably around 1983... The demographics of the designer probably HAVE changed.

well sometimes it takes that huge ego to progress....now we can agree or disagree if certain things are good or not for the activity..me personally..i happen to like alot of it

Conversly, sometimes it takes that huge ego to REGRESS and take the ship down with you, too.

I happen to like some of it, and DISLIKE some of it, too. I used to like most of it most of the time, from every corps. So, yea, there's that aspect...

Which confuses the heck out of me. When I marched (1990), they were a great number of people who WERE music majors and were educated through the public school system, as you say is now the entirety of the activity. These people still understood the importance and desire to protect the integrity of the idiom. We had access to amps, synths, and all the instruments that are available today. They were being used in marching bands at the time. The drum corps idiom kept it acoustical brass and percussion even though those options were available to them. So, I don't think the demographics of the performer have changed as much as you're saying for a good while. I don't believe that they've changed since the formation of DCI and the improvement of the instruments, probably around 1983... The demographics of the designer probably HAVE changed.

DCI used to be the pinnacle most every high school marching band wanted to aspire to emulate. However, somewhere down the line, even though the corps are very qualitative and DCI now claims to be Marching Music Major League, DCI got pushed out of the drivers seat and BOA/WGI, as well as high school bands all across the country, began to take over driving the "Marching Arts" bus. Irrespective of opinions on Amps, Electronics, etc... this is backwards!! I mean imagine if high school football was the main driving force influencing NFL on what decisions to make within "Major League" Football!!

DCI used to be the pinnacle most every high school marching band wanted to aspire to emulate. However, somewhere down the line, even though the corps are very qualitative and DCI now claims to be Marching Music Major League, DCI got pushed out of the drivers seat and BOA/WGI, as well as high school bands all across the country, began to take over driving the "Marching Arts" bus. Irrespective of opinions on Amps, Electronics, etc... this is backwards!! I mean imagine if high school football was the main driving force influencing NFL on what decisions to make within "Major League" Football!!

dci staffs are the ones who went to the band programs to teach bringing the drum corps style mainly for the money , so many hs programs have become the test ground for many shows.....without naming corps there have been many in recent years that this is easy to see....whos in charge now/ well its kinda the egg chicken thing.......wgi is a front runner with corps because alot of wgi designers are designers in dci as well as alot of the judges

Conversly, sometimes it takes that huge ego to REGRESS and take the ship down with you, too.

I happen to like some of it, and DISLIKE some of it, too. I used to like most of it most of the time, from every corps. So, yea, there's that aspect...

true...always two sides of the coin in almost everything