Now That Soloists are Plugged-in

May i step in a suggest something?

Drum corps has a certain spirit about it rich with tradition. While there has been a lot of changes made since DCI's conception, drum corps still has, at least for a few more years, its root characteristics. Should more drastic things happen like this idea? I say no! If there is such a push to "enhance" drum corps in such a way, then leave my old school drum corps alone, and start another circuit where drum corps face can be drastically altered, but the way DCI is, leave it alone! When someone said that there needs to be drastic changes to the NFL, they started the AFL, when someone said boxing and wrestling wasnt working anymore, they started UFC, when basketball wasnt enough, they started Slamball and StreetBall, when classical musicians began to be bored with old material, they joined POPS orchestras. If you want DCI to change so much, start your own dang division, where electric violins, and trumpet playing robots are quite acceptable, but leave my drum corps alone! and if DCI dies out for being outdated, so be it, your electric corps may rule supreme, but let drum corps die with its integrity still intact. But do realize, that people still love the NFL, betting is still going on in Vegas for boxing, and the NBA, minus the strike, is still alive, and ill go to any Bach concert any day, I believe DCI will survive also...

It is the DCI corps who are voting on what is and is not legal for their corps. They are happy with what "is" in 2011. That is how it has always been in DCI. Why do you think they should change what they have been doing since the organization's inception and all of a sudden stand still and not continue to progress?

Now that brass soloists are amplified, it could be really interesting to see a bit of variety on the sounds out there.

A concert french horn solo or a trombone solo could add some new colors. I know it is a pain in the ### to haul extra horns around, and messes the embouchure to jump back and forth... but still could be cool.

On the topic, I actually really dug Teal Sounds exploration of various instruments. I actually really liked how they are sort of carving our their own identity. It would be interesting to see more risks like this and a stronger sense of identity from corps throughout the range of placement.

Mouth harp? Pan-flute? Penny whistle? There is an endless list of things that can be used to add different textures, and more interesting to add some of these with actual instruments, rather than just a sample.

Also, it could be interesting to see some more exploration of of eastern and african percussion... tabla could be pretty cool, for example.

What other possibilities are out there?

I love the percussion sounds Tan Dun creates..would love to see some on the field...here is an example..

Water percussion

His opera "Tea, A Mirror of Soul" has all sorts of great sounds that a corps could use.

It is the DCI corps who are voting on what is and is not legal for their corps. They are happy with what "is" in 2011. That is how it has always been in DCI. Why do you think they should change what they have been doing since the organization's inception and all of a sudden stand still and not continue to progress?

Um, how do you know that corps are happy with the current rules? Were corps "unhappy" with the lack of amplification before 2003? Or the lack of synthesizers before 2009? Is that why those rules were changed? And if corps nwo are happy, does that mean they won't change the rules anymore?

> It is the DCI corps who are voting on what is and is not legal for their corps.

a) All of the corps involved with DCI are not allowed to vote within DCI, yet the rules voted on by "some" affect "all". I am sure that does not make the corps who are not allowed to vote very Happy.

b) Not all corps voted to implement the A&E rules; so I am sure that those corps are not Happy.

So, where can you show that, and I quote, > "They are happy with what is in 2011"?

Um, how do you know that corps are happy with the current rules? Were corps "unhappy" with the lack of amplification before 2003? Or the lack of synthesizers before 2009? Is that why those rules were changed? And if corps nwo are happy, does that mean they won't change the rules anymore?

Rules are changed when a critical mass of the voting body decides that whatever is being proposed is a good idea. Staffs wanted A&E for a long time before the admins voted them in, actually.

As for new rules, of course they can and will continue to make changes...that has been a constant going back even before DCI.

> It is the DCI corps who are voting on what is and is not legal for their corps.

a) All of the corps involved with DCI are not allowed to vote within DCI, yet the rules voted on by "some" affect "all". I am sure that does not make the corps who are not allowed to vote very Happy.

b) Not all corps voted to implement the A&E rules; so I am sure that those corps are not Happy.

So, where can you show that, and I quote, > "They are happy with what is in 2011"?

How are you "sure that those corps are not Happy"???? Where can you show that?

How many corps have made proposals to abandon the use of A&E? How many have decided not to use those elements?

Rules are changed when a critical mass of the voting body decides that whatever is being proposed is a good idea. Staffs wanted A&E for a long time before the admins voted them in, actually.

As for new rules, of course they can and will continue to make changes... that has been a constant going back even before DCI.

Naturally. It sounds like you agree that the "happy" feeling you described among the corps is a relative and ephemeral thing.

How are you "sure that those corps are not Happy"???? Where can you show that?

How many corps have made proposals to abandon the use of A&E? How many have decided not to use those elements?

> How are you "sure that those corps are not Happy"???? Where can you show that?

a) It was your assertion that they "are" happy, so it is yours to prove.

b) Answering a question with a question shows weakness in your argument.

c) Proving a "negative" is impossible; so even if I were to entertain your rebuttal question it is an illogical question.

> How many corps have made proposals to abandon the use of A&E? How many have decided not to use those elements?

a) My father was very wise when he informed me that you can turn a cucumber into a pickle, but you cannot turn a pickle back into a cucumber. Now that the corps have spent huge amounts of money to purchase all the A&E equipment, it is here to stay.

b) Within competition, any competition, once the "top groups" begin utilizing something new within the rules, and continue to receive higher credit for that use, others have to follow suit or they will never have the chance to rise to the top. Always been that way; always will be that way.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

> How are you "sure that those corps are not Happy"???? Where can you show that?

a) It was your assertion that they "are" happy, so it is yours to prove.

I asked how many have made proposals to eliminate A&E...the answer...none.

I asked how many do not use A&E...the answer...none.

b) Answering a question with a question shows weakness in your argument.

c) Proving a "negative" is impossible; so even if I were to entertain your rebuttal question it is an illogical question.

So you have no way to prove your assertion...."I am sure that those corps are not Happy."

> How many corps have made proposals to abandon the use of A&E? How many have decided not to use those elements?

a) My father was very wise when he informed me that you can turn a cucumber into a pickle, but you cannot turn a pickle back into a cucumber. Now that the corps have spent huge amounts of money to purchase all the A&E equipment, it is here to stay.

b) Within competition, any competition, once the "top groups" begin utilizing something new within the rules, and continue to receive higher credit for that use, others have to follow suit or they will never have the chance to rise to the top. Always been that wy; always will be that way.

So you have no way to prove the corps are not happy with what they voted on. OK.