How Do You Handle This..... DC Etiquette

If I did not get the concept of the show I would ask them if they could explain the show to me. It makes them happy that I was interested enough to ask about his or her thoughts on the show, and maybe if I know the concept and some of the other things that they are doing I may gain a greater appreciation of the show. If it was a slppoy performance I tell tehm it was good but there are areas that need improvement, They probably already know that, but if everyone says it was a great show than they may not think that they have to improve it and that someone (one of those "old Corps" guys is just out to get them.

...hahaha, we agree on alot of stuff, Mike; there's one we don't! :tongue:

cg

Yeah, but that is OK...if you hd said 2008 I'd agree with you. :tongue:

My favorite part of 07 was the guy saying "this I believe" just as the box moved over to join him at exactly the right moment. Loved that moment in the show.

OK, you have a chance to talk to some corps members and they ask you what you thought of the show. Problem is there were some things you did not like or "less than thrilled" with.

How do you answer the question....

Sub-title refers to posters who bash others without having the guts to say what they would do.

If it was just random members of any corps who had performed, and not a close friend, I'd just tell them how great they were. They are not REALLY asking for your analysis; they are still basking in their performance "after glow" so to speak. I agree with HH 1000%.

If it was just random members of any corps who had performed, and not a close friend, I'd just tell them how great they were. They are not REALLY asking for your analysis; they are still basking in their performance "after glow" so to speak. I agree with HH 1000%.

Well now we're getting into details... good. :tongue: I tried not to get hung up on the details when starting this thread and at least some people haven't fallen into the "one size fits all" trap.

If it was a random member asking for a quick answer I'd say something like "I really liked <insert something I did really like>". If it was to be a longer conversation (over a meal or coffee fer 'instance) and person was willing to hear less than 100% compliments (I'd ASK first) then I'd go further. IOW - depending on the situation some people just want a quick answer and sometimes they want a full analysis to know where they can improve or what is thought.

As for being 100% positive I was with a rebuilding corps and first few years if someone said our show was great we knew they were blowing smoke. Usual honest responses were "getting better", "not up to .... yet" and "if you keep it together for next year...".

Edit (stray thought not really direct at Mike): How do people who won't go to a corps show fit into the being 100% positive. Treated my in-laws to a show when I first came back and.... saved a lot of money afterwards as they don't go. Just didn't like it enough to return (even for free) but still care enough to ask how my gigs went.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

But isn't how the whole concept works, you post your thoughts.... and other people post theirs after?

But some aren't posting their thoughts.... Glory for one still hasn't given a straight answer on how he would answer. He says why he thinks it's wrong to be less than 100% complimentary but still hasn't said "I would do this...". Sounds like my mother-in-law "What do you want to dinner?"... "I don't want.... and I don't want....", IOW - you have to figure out what the heck the asnwer is.

And Charlie I'll see you on the Internet as I'll be at home. And agree.... delivery is the key....

But some aren't posting their thoughts.... Glory for one still hasn't given a straight answer on how he would answer...

Yes I did. I told the true story of my feedback to Madison 95 kids. I told y'all about my encounter with some Scouts at their final's rehearsal and how I told them I thought their show was great even though I had in mind several shortcomings (visual, drums, etc.) Here's another. I sat one year at finals next to a kid from Pioneer. Rather than tell him I thought the Irish theme ruined any opportunity that corps had for success, I told him it was great to watch them and great to see the wonderful progress they had made that summer.

This isn't the confessional booth. It's a performance by amateurs. If we owe the performers anything, it is our respect. The "dis" we're talking about here isn't dishonesty, it's disrespect.

HH

Edited by glory

Yes I did. I told the true story of my feedback to Madison 95 kids. I told y'all about my encounter with some Scouts at their final's rehearsal and how I told them I thought their show was great even though I had in mind several shortcomings (visual, drums, etc.) Here's another. I sat one year at finals next to a kid from Pioneer. Rather than tell him I thought the Irish theme ruined any opportunity that corps had for success, I told him it was great to watch them and great to see the wonderful progress they had made that summer.

This isn't the confessional booth. It's a performance by amateurs. If we owe the performers anything, it is our respect. The "dis" we're talking about here isn't dishonesty, it's disrespect.

HH

OK, my mistake, somehow I missed about you talking to Madison members so I apologize for screwing up.

Also I screwed up by not giving more detail on some of my posts here (which I'm trying to correct from here on out). If it's a quick chat with a total stranger then why bring up bad when there is a lot of good to talk about. But sometimes there is a chance to have a longer talk with someone and they want to hear both the good and bad. Those are the times when I will talk about the "yeah... but" parts of the show. Some of us do get a chance to do more than a quick chat and, as Charlie said, it can get quite interesting.

OK, you have a chance to talk to some corps members and they ask you what you thought of the show. Problem is there were some things you did not like or "less than thrilled" with.

How do you answer the question....

Sub-title refers to posters who bash others without having the guts to say what they would do.

Depends on whose doing the asking and my relationship with them. I've taught, performed and I judge. I'm assuming that I'm being asked for all of those reasons and because the person asking values my opinion for those reasons. I answer honestly based on MY read both good and constructively. I continue to get asked by the same people and others who've been around when I've answered, so I guess this method works.

But if I'm not asked, then I don't offer. Plain and simple. I don't want to be the "Who does that guy think he is guy"

I don't get it. I don't get why this sort of "honesty" is necessary at all. We are the fans - or at least we're supposed to be. We're not their muse. We're not their conscience. The judges are the ones required for the "honest" critiquing. So what unstoppable force is it that requires anyone else to tell current marching member what's wrong with their show?

You want honesty? I'll give you some honesty. I think anyone who feels compelled to tell current members what's wrong with their show is entirely selfish. Doing so serves only his own selfish sense of importance and entitlement. That's my honest opinion. The members are there to perform. They're not there to receive your opinions no matter how sure you are.

That's my diagnosis. Here's my prescription: Keep your honesty to yourself. And if you must, DCP is always open for therapy.

HH - unlicensed therapist and DCP contrarian, which is almost the same thing

glory..............my brother-in-arms!!!! :thumbup: Well said! And your therapy comment is perfect.

Having said that, I do see what Jim's going for here.....an honest evaluation of how we might answer a MM (who has been busting his/her ### all summer) when asked with a criticism of their corps' show and/or performance. I've always suggested that "if you can't/wouldn't say your post directly to the kids on the field....then shut the #### up!" But this has to do with "directly" speaking to the kids and not some post on a wayward blogosphere. I also recognize that many of these kids have heard (or spoken among themselves) concerning certain analysis of their show design or performance level as the summer progresses and outcomes/placements indicate degrees of success. In short, much of any criticism is probably not new to them. The question is, what gives you the right to comment?......and the answer is nothing!! Another question is, what's the value added by your comment? And again, the answer is nothing!!

BUT.......if asked.......a reasonable approach might be to answer a question with a question, "well, what did you guys (MM's) think of your fill-in-the-blank (i.e design, performance, props, etc)? If they reflect some of the same feelings you have...that might be an opening to share your opinion (obviously couched in careful and thoughtful wording). It comes down to your post here glory......I agree with you nearly completely...but having been around MM's (of a certain corps) for some years now, I have heard all three sides of this debate (the good, the bad and the extremely ugly) and MM's aren't stupid.....they get it. Finally, there are many corps that deserve nothing but our complete encouragement, the MM's worked hard and our support is not much to ask for. They didn't design their shows they simply dedicated themselves to performing it to the best of their ability. And for that, they deserve nothing but our gratitude!

Edited by Plan9