Baritones vs. Euphoniums

I have a terrible ear so I can't say much for sound (though I did march euph for two seasons), but from a visual standpoint I feel like the euphs are at a disadvantage. They're too long, and euph's can't be at a 2 step spacing front to back. Unfortunately, few designers take that into account when designing drill.

And the Dynasty horns.... the less said the better. They're liable to break in a strong wind, and horrible playing tendencies.

I chuckled when I saw this...SCV played DEGs BITD, and I remember breaking most of the welds on the braces my last year just from horn snaps, not from grounding the horn at retreat...thank heavens for duct tape!

EDIT: shameless plug for change of avatar to "manly" pic with my K-70. :pirate:"arr!"

Edited by TRacer

I have a terrible ear so I can't say much for sound (though I did march euph for two seasons), but from a visual standpoint I feel like the euphs are at a disadvantage. They're too long, and euph's can't be at a 2 step spacing front to back. Unfortunately, few designers take that into account when designing drill.

I do know, that with the Yamaha Euphs that isn't a problem. I've never actually marched a show with a King euph, but I am teaching a show right now where three players in the bari section are playing Kings, and we have sets at two steps, and even a little smaller, and we don't have a problem. You just have to be spot on with your spacing. (We have the Tubas at two steps (using Yamaha 201s and 202 mixed), and let's just say it's VERY close but it works. lol. They got the perfect spacing lecture, also.) At least in drum corps you aren't dealing with the good old Trombone section... hehe.

Everyone on the new System Blue hybrids.

I wish they had those before I aged out.

I need to get my hands on one of those. Been trying to convince my school... but we can only purchase Yamaha now.

The main difference is that baritones have a more cylindrical bore, which means the tubing stays the same diameter longer, so they play with a brighter timbre similar to a trombone. Which is why it is typically used on upper tenor brass splits. The euphonium uses a conical bore, meaning the tubing has a more gradual flare, giving it a rich, warm timbre. The King and Jupiter euphoniums project very well. I typically prefer a mix of both so you have a gradual blend of timbres from top to bottom, giving the brass a sound similar to a British style brass band.

actually, in marching brass the cylindrical/ conical bore is the same between baris and euphs, i belive. The bari is just a more compact euph with a smaller bore.

actually, in marching brass the cylindrical/ conical bore is the same between baris and euphs, i belive. The bari is just a more compact euph with a smaller bore.

Yeah... I forgot to add that to my first post. You'll usually only see a true baritone being used in a british brass band type setting. A baritone by definition is a completely cylindrical bore, like the trumpet and trombone. Euphonium is a conical bore, like the french horn and tuba. Today's marching baritones are also euphoniums. It has nothing to do with the number of valves/ compensating horn or not, all that good stuff.

Correct me please if I"m wrong on anything.

In the 80s SCV marched 6 leads, 6 seconds, and 8 euphs, but always had 2 baris play on euphs for a 10-10 split. Then again our middles were 4 mellos and 8 frenchies, so the blend considerations were different than what they are now.

We liked the results we got with that.

BTW I'm very impressed with the System Blue baritoniums.