Cadets 2

Wonder how many Class As might not hit that 35 member rule.

Probably one or more of these reasons.

Poor or inadequate rehearsal facilities

Lack of Fundraising opportunities

Poor networking

Lack of volunteers

Lack of recruiting base

Poor or inadequate staff

Ineffective or incompetent leadership.

I'll say it one more time.I don't think DCA wants to push people away.I don't think corps like turning people away either.But,a corps has the right to be competitive.And if the Cadets 2 have the right to only take members between ages 16-25,Then other corps have that right as well.Now some corps may go that route and some may not.But if it makes DCA Better, i'm all for it.i'm just saying if that were to happen,there would be less corps if any left at all for people over 25 to join.And this could happen. People are always talking about how young DCA is getting.And the Cadets 2 are going to bring alot of youngsters to DCA.That's why the cadets 2 is a good idea.I can't wait to see them.So yes,DCA is getting younger.I'm just saying that there is room for everybody should we have a huge explosion of youth after 2012.And i hope we do.That wold be a win for drum corps period.

Calm down guy, I don't think any of that stuff will happen. Top corps are not going to suddenly adopt upper age limits, DCA will not be a junior corps circuit. Next season I will be 30, and the only thing that will keep me off that field is excessive travel time (I ain't made of money), NOT some 18 year old kid that doesn't have 1/5 the experience that I do. I also keep myself in shape. I work out several times a week, running at least 2 miles in a work out. 2 miles isn't a lot, and if you can do 2 miles in under 20 minutes you can handle a drum corps show in my opinion. My body isn't as tired as some of the fellas in their 40s, 50s, or even 60s, but I have marched right along side with plenty of those cats too. I don't think they are in danger of losing their spots either. With almost every corps dealing with recruiting issues at some point in the season there is NO WAY they will just turn people away due to their age. That is not what the all-age circuit is about. If anyone is doing that I feel sorry for them. They are missing the point.

OK.Now that the DCA open and A class want to be this new 16-25 junior corps division.And on the other hand,we have the alumni corps who don't want to compete or change the style of shows they do.Where does that put the 26-54 year olds?

I snipped a lot to answerthe only thing in this post that needed replied to.

Where do you put the 26-54 year olds?

In every other corps in DCA, just like they do now

I'll say it one more time.I don't think DCA wants to push people away.I don't think corps like turning people away either.But,a corps has the right to be competitive.And if the Cadets 2 have the right to only take members between ages 16-25,Then other corps have that right as well.Now some corps may go that route and some may not.But if it makes DCA Better, i'm all for it.i'm just saying if that were to happen,there would be less corps if any left at all for people over 25 to join.And this could happen. People are always talking about how young DCA is getting.And the Cadets 2 are going to bring alot of youngsters to DCA.That's why the cadets 2 is a good idea.I can't wait to see them.So yes,DCA is getting younger.I'm just saying that there is room for everybody should we have a huge explosion of youth after 2012.And i hope we do.That wold be a win for drum corps period.

There's a key point here you're missing about why YEA is restricting age.

They are a non profit YOUTH organization. The first letter in YEA...YOUTH.

50 years old aint a youth.

Plus, there's no guarantee that recent age outs will come flocking....Cadets, like most top DCI corps, aren't neighborhood corps anymore. So just because they have set the age limits where they did doesnt mean they are going to come shooting out of the woodworks and destroy DCA.

Remember, Cadets and other DCI corps do amazing things with kids, when theyhave them all day every day from mid May til Mid August. A DCA corps is not going to have that kind of schedule.

And if it's thatbig an issueand you know kids, direct them elsewhere

The things I have heard that have ruined drum corps since I've begun include:

The 3rd valve; guards in costumes; guards no longer marching but instead dancing; themed shows; Bushwackers; having to know how to actually read music; DCI; the Syracuse Brigadiers; Broadway; instructors who teach marching bands; corps who repeatedly win; Bb's; no more color presentations; amplification; allowing Star United into Mini Corps; DCI and DCA partenering; the Bucs; and if I put George Hopkins in bewteen every entry I listed I wouldn't be saying his name enough for the amount of times I have heard it said.

Lol. Sad but true. And highlarious.;o)

And I disagree with every single one of them.

quick question...

wasn't he pushing for 3 valve brass back in the day? So maybe he would have been more forward thinking than people want to admit?

If Lefty was pushing for 3 valves it was probably at the behest of Dreitzer. I know Dreitzer and Tru Crawford were always discussing whether there should be 2 valves (Tru's contention) and Dreitzer always said, "I don't care if the horn has 6 valves. What they both agreed on was that it should always be in the key of "G". Haven't looked lately but it is my understanding that the 8th & I &when Colonel "C" was still there) had signed a contract with Kanstul to keep supplying them with 2 valve horns for (I believe it was) 10 years.

who would be in that circuit? Those days are long gone my friend....Just for the record also Cabs and Muchachos were from the same post...The directors were brother in laws but thats where it stopped :smile:

Although many of the Garden State Circuit corps from that final years are no longer on the field, the organizations that sponsored them (Quest, Kips Bay, Cadets of NYC) may still be carrying on music programs for their communities. I believe that a division of DCA for juniors would work. In fact, since DCA is all-age, and Cadets 2 are a youth organization with an upper age limit, these former corps, if they exist, can compete as is.

The days of teaching children are NOT long gone..... we need it more than ever.

Joe

Although many of the Garden State Circuit corps from that final years are no longer on the field, the organizations that sponsored them (Quest, Kips Bay, Cadets of NYC) may still be carrying on music programs for their communities. I believe that a division of DCA for juniors would work. In fact, since DCA is all-age, and Cadets 2 are a youth organization with an upper age limit, these former corps, if they exist, can compete as is.

Joe

agreed to an extent,............I too believe that a weekend only concept is great for the type of organizations you are suggesting,...........but there is no reason this cannot fit into the current DCA circuit,..........no need for a junior division.......

agreed to an extent,............I too believe that a weekend only concept is great for the type of organizations you are suggesting,...........but there is no reason this cannot fit into the current DCA circuit,..........no need for a junior division.......

Agree on no reason (that I know of) why they couldn't look at fitting into DCA.

Irony would be if these corps kept their age requirements...... (y'know... kinda like C2).

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Joe

running just a winter program costs 10s of thousands of dollars...sponsors of the past like social clubs,,,kids and church groups couldnt survive themselves let alone sponsor a drum corps. Rehearsal facilities are gone also or cost a fortune..even High Schools dont have the advantage of even using their own facilities. Its a new world,kids also are not like we were and require more than a local HAng out as we had. Its a fast paced, electronic driven world with lots of choices for todays kids, choice we also did not have. Would it be nice to see some of the old model return ..sure Its what Cadets 2 I think is trying to do but you can rest ashure that it will only be done at the highest level and with the wants and needs of todays youth. JMO