Cadets 2

OK.Now that the DCA open and A class want to be this new 16-25 junior corps division.And on the other hand,we have the alumni corps who don't want to compete or change the style of shows they do.Where does that put the 26-54 year olds? At this point we may as well use a real life age range,Because that is where this has gone.Middle age people are being turned away from some of the open class corps for being to old.And on the other side,your hearing things like ,you don't have to march with us if you don't like our style of show by alumni corps.In other words, your not old enough to understand or appreciate that style of marching.If you marched in the 80's and 90's,you may never appreciate, or want to do that style of show.Not that there is anything wrong with it.But,it was before your time.There is nothing all-age about what is happening hear.And please don't talk about how corps can set there age range to where ever they want it.I already know that.And because i know that,it looks as if DCA is going to need a new division.The current competing corps are quickly becoming junior corps. The alumni/senior corps really do have alot of seniors members.They have every right to want to take it easy.And they put on great shows,while doing so.But i'm only 41,and want to compete.When is DCA going to start the middle age division for the 26-54 year olds.It really doesn't feel good when your getting pushed out of DCA.If DCA really wants to bring in younger members,then start a real junior corps division for 16-25 year olds.And any DCA corps that feels it competes better with younger members can be in that division.Then create a true senior corps division for adults 26 and up.It wouldn't hurt DCI being that there cut off is age 22.And with the Cadets 2 starting up this year, along with DCI and DCA working together. This is the perfect time to make something like this happen.The current DCA rule wouldn't have to change at all. Corps would just have to pick a division to compete in.But nobody should have to feel that they are being pushed out drum corps.And i really don't think DCA wants to push people away.Does anyone else out there think that DCA may need to have a junior and senior division ?

What corps is pushing you out? Kind of odd since numbers are always important. I think all corps welcome everyone!

OK.Now that the DCA open and A class want to be this new 16-25 junior corps division.And on the other hand,we have the alumni corps who don't want to compete or change the style of shows they do.Where does that put the 26-54 year olds? At this point we may as well use a real life age range,Because that is where this has gone.Middle age people are being turned away from some of the open class corps for being to old.And on the other side,your hearing things like ,you don't have to march with us if you don't like our style of show by alumni corps.In other words, your not old enough to understand or appreciate that style of marching.If you marched in the 80's and 90's,you may never appreciate, or want to do that style of show.Not that there is anything wrong with it.But,it was before your time.There is nothing all-age about what is happening hear.And please don't talk about how corps can set there age range to where ever they want it.I already know that.And because i know that,it looks as if DCA is going to need a new division.The current competing corps are quickly becoming junior corps. The alumni/senior corps really do have alot of seniors members.They have every right to want to take it easy.And they put on great shows,while doing so.But i'm only 41,and want to compete.When is DCA going to start the middle age division for the 26-54 year olds.It really doesn't feel good when your getting pushed out of DCA.If DCA really wants to bring in younger members,then start a real junior corps division for 16-25 year olds.And any DCA corps that feels it competes better with younger members can be in that division.Then create a true senior corps division for adults 26 and up.It wouldn't hurt DCI being that there cut off is age 22.And with the Cadets 2 starting up this year, along with DCI and DCA working together. This is the perfect time to make something like this happen.The current DCA rule wouldn't have to change at all. Corps would just have to pick a division to compete in.But nobody should have to feel that they are being pushed out drum corps.And i really don't think DCA wants to push people away.Does anyone else out there think that DCA may need to have a junior and senior division ?

Someone posted earlier about creating a DCA "Masters" Division whch I think could be a pretty neat idea. However, how would you set the judging criteria? Main concern would be the visual caption. Not many of today's "alumni" corps do a full visual show. What kind of standards should be set? How much movement is enough (remember "stop time")? What about contribution from the color guard, where do they fit in? Discuss...

OK.Now that the DCA open and A class want to be this new 16-25 junior corps division.And on the other hand,we have the alumni corps who don't want to compete or change the style of shows they do.Where does that put the 26-54 year olds? At this point we may as well use a real life age range,Because that is where this has gone.Middle age people are being turned away from some of the open class corps for being to old.

Where are people being turned away for being too old?

And I think you're exaggerating quite a bit saying that DCA Open corps are trying to be DCI junior corps. They're not even in the same universe. I agree a few corps are upping the intensity level, visual demand, and show design relative to past levels (IMO a very good thing) but...well...not to DCI levels.

What corps is pushing you out? Kind of odd since numbers are always important. I think all corps welcome everyone!

I'll say it one more time.I don't think DCA wants to push people away.I don't think corps like turning people away either.But,a corps has the right to be competitive.And if the Cadets 2 have the right to only take members between ages 16-25,Then other corps have that right as well.Now some corps may go that route and some may not.But if it makes DCA Better, i'm all for it.i'm just saying if that were to happen,there would be less corps if any left at all for people over 25 to join.And this could happen. People are always talking about how young DCA is getting.And the Cadets 2 are going to bring alot of youngsters to DCA.That's why the cadets 2 is a good idea.I can't wait to see them.So yes,DCA is getting younger.I'm just saying that there is room for everybody should we have a huge explosion of youth after 2012.And i hope we do.That wold be a win for drum corps period.

Where are people being turned away for being too old?

And I think you're exaggerating quite a bit saying that DCA Open corps are trying to be DCI junior corps. They're not even in the same universe. I agree a few corps are upping the intensity level, visual demand, and show design relative to past levels (IMO a very good thing) but...well...not to DCI levels.

I never said anything about DCA trying to be DCI.Where did you see that in my post ?

Edited by koldsilver

I never said anything about DCA trying to be DCI.Where did you see that in my post ?

The quote was in my reply...but I'll post it again...

OK.Now that the DCA open and A class want to be this new 16-25 junior corps division.And on the other hand,we have the alumni corps who don't want to compete or change the style of shows they do.Where does that put the 26-54 year olds? At this point we may as well use a real life age range,Because that is where this has gone.Middle age people are being turned away from some of the open class corps for being to old.

Junior corps = DCI. blink.gif

Where does that put the 26-54 year olds?

Same place they are right now. Sitting on the sidelines. To a extent anyways.

Visual demand is playing a key factor in the judging community and judges are rewarding corps for higher visual demand. AS this becomes more and more the vogue which I believe it will expect to see less and less "seniors" in the ranks.

Someone posted earlier about creating a DCA "Masters" Division whch I think could be a pretty neat idea. However, how would you set the judging criteria? Main concern would be the visual caption. Not many of today's "alumni" corps do a full visual show. What kind of standards should be set? How much movement is enough (remember "stop time")? What about contribution from the color guard, where do they fit in? Discuss...

You got me there.I didn't think about all that.

OK, no one else is asking this on "DCA only wants 25 and under aged people" on the field.

What would be the corps sizes if corps kicked out everyone over 25?

And how competitive would they be?

*jeesh* everyone's talking like all the corps are at full size and have a crapload of people waiting to get in...... Wonder how many Class As might not hit that 35 member rule.

Edited by JimF-LowBari