2012 Reps

skeptic

Getting the right to Carmina for your movie or TV show isn't hard. It's just expensive. It's been absurdly difficult and expensive for marching bands and drum corps to secure rights. It's on the BOA and WGI "no play" list for years as a result. The hoops Raiders had to jump through were pretty crazy. The Orff estate places some very restrictive requirements on just how you can arrange the piece should they deem you worthy of granting the rights.

As for the rights to Carmina expiring in 2012, you are incorrect. Carmina was finished by Orff in 1936. It will not enter the public domain for several more years (2019-2026 depending on how you interpret US copyright law). I'm not sure where you got the 75 year idea, but it's been established that due to the date Carmina was finished (registration of copyright no longer matters, and hasn't since 1992) it will be fully protected for 95 years after first publication. You used to have to register for copyright, and then re-register in the 28th year following to retain rights, but that is no longer the case in either instance.

Trust me on this, I speak from experience. Also, Carmina Burana is one of the most oft-cited works in Music Law classes.

Yep. as far back as 1989 I remember an indoor drumline getting busted for using it and having to pick a whole new show midseason

Yep. as far back as 1989 I remember an indoor drumline getting busted for using it and having to pick a whole new show midseason

Years ago we wanted to do it with a band, in a circuit that was pretty intense on rights before most band circuits were. The Orff estate told us that in order to get arranging rights, we would have to do the arrangement first, and submit it for approval. They rarely approved any arrangements, especially those that weren't straight up transcriptions. If they didn't like it, it would have been a lot of wasted time and effort. In addition, the fee was really exorbitant.

Some circuits to this day don't check for rights, and the Orff estate knows this and will go after anyone that uses any portion of Carmina without their approval. The really sad part is that Carl himself was very supportive of the use of his work. It was his wife that was restrictive to an insane level.

who do we bribe?

I'll do some digging around.

Edited by skajerk

Somewhere Out There from An American Tale

What are the odds that James Horner and Warner let this one go?

Years ago we wanted to do it with a band, in a circuit that was pretty intense on rights before most band circuits were. The Orff estate told us that in order to get arranging rights, we would have to do the arrangement first, and submit it for approval. They rarely approved any arrangements, especially those that weren't straight up transcriptions. If they didn't like it, it would have been a lot of wasted time and effort. In addition, the fee was really exorbitant.

Some circuits to this day don't check for rights, and the Orff estate knows this and will go after anyone that uses any portion of Carmina without their approval. The really sad part is that Carl himself was very supportive of the use of his work. It was his wife that was restrictive to an insane level.

What year was that?

The Govs...... complete show of Porgy & Bess. I believe the music and dance would suit a Class A corps of their ability perfectly.

Joe Dz in NJ

Joe's right! Except that I would like to hear Shenandoah Sound do it. It is right up their alley, and I don't care if I hear it a gazillion times it is still a great book on the field for a Class A corps.