Lee Beddis hired as Madison Scouts Director of Percussion

i dont think the crown drumline/pit will follow him.

Is that because drum corps kids in this day and age traditionally follow an instructor to another corps rather than having corps loyalty? Or is it because this has been the case for a number of years that members, especially in the percussion sections follow their staff?

I guess I will go ahead and site 2 examples. 2011-The Rennicks to SCV, kids bailed on Phantom. 2007-McNutt to Cadets, kids bailed on Madison(though not all made that line).

Just curious.

How many ex-Crowners does that make now on the Scout staff, like 8 in all? lol.

Any word on who is replacing Lee at Crown yet?

Tom Brace :tongue:

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 2

Is that because drum corps kids in this day and age traditionally follow an instructor to another corps rather than having corps loyalty? Or is it because this has been the case for a number of years that members, especially in the percussion sections follow their staff?

I guess I will go ahead and site 2 examples. 2011-The Rennicks to SCV, kids bailed on Phantom. 2007-McNutt to Cadets, kids bailed on Madison(though not all made that line).

Just curious.

I've heard that many of the players dont like his writing, and were dissatisfied with the music from this past season. You would think that, if YOU'RE the one playing it, you would like it?

I guess not... but I'm betting they wont go.

I've heard that many of the players dont like his writing, and were dissatisfied with the music from this past season. You would think that, if YOU'RE the one playing it, you would like it?

I guess not... but I'm betting they wont go.

Hadn't heard that, so if it's true, that is a possibility.

At the same time, how many of the "big name" arrangers and caption heads don't have a home for 2012?

If Crown doesn't pick up someone big, and soon, I could see the members easily following Lee, even if the rumors your speaking of are true.

That being said, I think he's a heck of a writer and I know he's a great teacher, so I would think if some 19 year old kids don't like it, well, then they may just be elitist know-it-alls that shouldn't go to Madison for that reason.

Just my thoughts

• Like 1

What about picking up an up-and-comer from an established corps. Maybe someone on staff with the Blue Devils (Sean Vega) or even try to entice Mike McIntosh back into the game as the head man from the Cavaliers staff.

I hear Brett Farve is available!

Lol. But I don't think the analogy applies. Being a top level teacher/cleaner

doesn't neccessarily fade with age like being a top level QB.

Just remember that a mere 5-6 years ago - the last time Beddis was with

Madison - they were 4th in Percussion. I'm thinking this move will

only help them.

Lol. But I don't think the analogy applies. Being a top level teacher/cleaner

doesn't neccessarily fade with age like being a top level QB.

Just remember that a mere 5-6 years ago - the last time Beddis was with

Madison - they were 4th in Percussion. I'm thinking this move will

only help them.

True, but Jerome Bettis has been out of football since 2006, and he might be slow and have rusty hands now.

Edited by BRASSO