Lee Beddis hired as Madison Scouts Director of Percussion

Funny, I knew that was going to be the instant response and yes I'll grant that your point has merit. That being said, I moved from NH to march Madison with the 27th Lancers right in my own backyard. Loyalty matters and if the very bedrock principle that binds your corps together is "brotherhood" and "Once a Scout, Always a Scout" then the idea of importing talent at the expense of current members is hypocrisy defined.

I will assume that the honor of being a Scout is not a right to be given but a privilege to be earned?

I will assume that the honor of being a Scout is not a right to be given but a privilege to be earned?

Yep, and if you can't distinguish between the superficial aspects of drum corps (the shows, the instrumentation, etc.) and what REALLY makes drum corps unique (the experience), leave.

I'm done here. Have a lovely evening.

• Like 2

Yep, and if you can't distinguish between the superficial aspects of drum corps (the shows, the instrumentation, etc.) and what REALLY makes drum corps unique (the experience), leave.

I'm done here. Have a lovely evening.

What I'm saying is this: if a former member of another corps has the heart, drive, and talent required to earn a spot in the corps, they should earn the spot in the corps over someone who lacks - or has less of - those qualities even with prior history in the corps. All things being equal, the former member retains their spot. However, nothing is ever equal.

• Like 3

Not in my book but I’m so old that I remember when corps-hopping was a rarity…non-existent actually compared with today. Hmmm, why could that be?

Here’s my theory; I think that loyalty is a two-way street and that if the corps is willing to cut a vet loose the moment a hot new prospect shows up then it stands to reason that disloyalty will be reciprocated when an opportunity to “upgrade” presents itself to the vet. The case could even be made that as an alumn I might just consider my loyalty fickle enough to say “Heck, the Cavies are five or six placements higher than Madison so that’s where I’ll be sending my donations from now on.” Now I’d never do that but that’s precisely because I bought into the whole “brotherhood” deal and as I see it you just don’t cut your brother from the line because someone with faster hands shows up from Crown now do you?

I teach WC now and marched I think from your era also...You arent wrong at all about the lack of loyalty now and there are alot more things from our past that current members just dont get but also some of the issue is most corps members are all imports now. Rare when you find the locals that everyone followed. Gone are the days when if you were a transplant you did everything you could to become part of the tradition of the area as well as the history behind not only the corps and its members but even the local culture..GONE....sad isnt it? Kids follow staff, placements, medals, so on and so on.

I will say though with the way the activity is today theres no choice but to take the best of the best if you are trying to succeed. Isnt that why some corps hire and fire some 0f their staffs. Right or wrong its todays drum corps, a cash cow that if you want to admit or want to look at the financial bottom line its hard to survive just on principal.

As I have said if all things are even a past member should be 1st choice but if it isnt then a past member has to step up to the plate and fight for what belongs to them, as with any job. JMO

I have been a fan of Hannums work through the years, but I didn't like the Scouts drum book at all this year. Then again I think that all drum lines play too many notes & aren't musical enough, but that's just me. What the Scouts need is a staff that sticks around for more than 1 or 2 years.

• Like 3

Corps hopping was less common because of geographic restrictions no longer present in today's drum corps climate. If corps recruited nationally and members had relatively easy access to camps several states away, there would've been just as much corps hopping BITD.

Corps hopping and the camp-system are symbiotic. When all the corps had weekly local rehearsals they had to use local talent, or at least talent within a reasonable driving distance.

Trust me, we had jet planes when I marched, too, but airfares were prohibitive and the number of carriers less. Plus, it would be pretty hard to fly in for a Monday night rehearsal in California, then fly back that night to make classes on Tuesday morning in Indiana. Do it again on Wednesday and Sunday? I don't think so.

The national recruiting model relies on the camp system. It couldn't survive without it. Of course, college-aged members could attend a school closer to their corps of choice, but high school seniors would find it nearly impossible.

Hey, here's an idea! Schools charge in-state and out-of-state tuition. Maybe corps could do the same!

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Any more word on who all is joining Lee at Madison?

MIKE

Bill, you up for it?

Edited by mikekhs

As far as techs go, most of his staff from Crown will be joining him at Madison.

With the exception of Schlicher I'm sure.

This is a great pickup for the Scouts, not to say that Thom Hannum isn't one of the best in the business. Lee builds lines...it's what he does and he will be excellent at Madison just as he was prior.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...