Cadets design team sets stage for 2012

maybe just a combo and blend of something like the Tame show as well as the 40s swing and patriotic shows....throw it all out there..lol :blink:

^^^ would flip my switches. Love all of those and there's so much good literature!

They could form a layout of the Harbor on the field, then lay down and roll over signifying our ships rolling over...

Oh wait, Madison just....

(this post is why I don't make a living designing shows)

Edited by garfield

I have to say that, at first glance, the idea of a Pearl Harbor show leaves me a little flat. That's not to say that it can't turn in to something great (or even that it will be the show, considering the Cadets' proclivity to throw out ideas early just to scrap them later on).

To me, the idea is just too... literal, I guess. Show concepts and designs lately seem to leave quite a bit of room for the show to develop and evolve as the season progresses, and to add or remove elements as needed. "Pearl Harbor" just seems too much of a box. Not that there aren't elements to that event that couldn't be successfully portrayed on the field, but if those things end up NOT working...?

I feel that the design team is putting a lot pressure on themselves to nail it out of the gate with this idea.

I have to say that, at first glance, the idea of a Pearl Harbor show leaves me a little flat. That's not to say that it can't turn in to something great (or even that it will be the show, considering the Cadets' proclivity to throw out ideas early just to scrap them later on).

To me, the idea is just too... literal, I guess. Show concepts and designs lately seem to leave quite a bit of room for the show to develop and evolve as the season progresses, and to add or remove elements as needed. "Pearl Harbor" just seems too much of a box. Not that there aren't elements to that event that couldn't be successfully portrayed on the field, but if those things end up NOT working...?

I feel that the design team is putting a lot pressure on themselves to nail it out of the gate with this idea.

Ya' know, Chaddyt, I had this same thought. And they could also be a little too disrespectful of the event as well.

But them it quickly dawns on me that I've said that several times over the years and, somehow, they come out with a show that just blows me away.

Although I have great disdain for the Hollywood version with Ben "I couldn't act if my life depended on it" Aflek, Hoppy has seemed to show great reverence for his military and patriotic portrayals.

Now BD, on the other hand...

(Calm down, Plan, I'm JOKING!)

I think I'll wait to hear more about the design, and then I'll probably wait until I see it on the field.

Ya' know, Chaddyt, I had this same thought. And they could also be a little too disrespectful of the event as well.

But them it quickly dawns on me that I've said that several times over the years and, somehow, they come out with a show that just blows me away.

Although I have great disdain for the Hollywood version with Ben "I couldn't act if my life depended on it" Aflek, Hoppy has seemed to show great reverence for his military and patriotic portrayals.

I think I'll wait to hear more about the design, and then I'll probably wait until I see it on the field.

I don't worry about them being disrespectful necessarily. Their previous forays into military/Americana have been tastefully done. But those shows were a little more open in what they were trying to portray.

This is a specific, and pivotal, event in the nation's history.

But as long as it doesn't involve a love triangle and 'baby-daddy' story-line, it could be good.

I'd like to know how they could be disrespectful to an event such as that. I'm almost positive that NO drum corps would aim to be disrespectful to any type of tragic event. It's all in the eyes of the beholder, and that's not to say the beholder is right either.

I'd like to know how they could be disrespectful to an event such as that. I'm almost positive that NO drum corps would aim to be disrespectful to any type of tragic event. It's all in the eyes of the beholder, and that's not to say the beholder is right either.

Agreed. People said the same thing about how Madison's show this year could be disrespectful to the event and to New Yorkers. Clearly not what they were aiming for at all and the show didn't come off as even the slightest bit disrespectful.